Lost weight without going to gym?

Options
2»

Replies

• kyrstin__1188
    kyrstin__1188 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I've lost 14 pounds so far by keeping track of my calories, and occasionally doing excercises such as jump rope, jumping jacks and walking. :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you mean by significant. I lost about 27 lbs without going to a gym and I've kept it off for over a year. I've been thin most of my life and never went to the gym.

I eat right and exercise at home or outside. I do DVDs (Zumba is my current favorite but I've done dozens over the years - Tai Bo, several Jane Fonda, Bodies in Motion, others), I've hiked, biked, run, walked, done calisthenics, jumped rope. At various times I've owned a treadmill, eliptical and universal weight thingy.

I've never joined a gym because I didn't have the money when I was younger and had children at home, and once I did have the money I didn't like that all the gyms around here force you to join a year at a time. I'd only like to join for the cold or very hot months. When the weather is nice I can't imagine going inside to exercise.
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it's easy to lose weight without exercising, but personally I think it's not just about losing pounds, it's about becoming a healthy person and making activity a part of your daily lifestyle. You'll look & feel better, be stronger and if you model it then your kids will likely be more active too.

It sounds like you are already exercising at home - that's great! You don't have to belong to a gym to get fit, especially not these days with YouTube and a myriad of other fitness sites on the 'Net. I found a great one recently - check out madefittv.com, or Goggle "working out at home". Walking is a great form of cardio, and you can make it as challenging as you want, especially if there are any hills near you.

Remember it's not only about losing weight, it's about keeping it off and that's the hard part! I've kept my weight off for a year now and trust me, without exercise that would not be possible. From what I understand those who are successful at keeping the weight off long term are those who exercise daily. Good luck on your journey!
  • heddylyn
    heddylyn Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    When my son was born five years ago, I started walking with him in the stroller. I lost 60 pounds in 9 months. Now I have 2 kids and get up early and go to a free local boot camp in my area and I jog as well. I've never been crazy about the gym anyway so this works for me! You might want to look into local "MeetUp" groups in your area. At least where I live there are tons of work-out groups. I've even seen some specifically for stay at home moms so you can bring your kids along too. Good luck!
  • geminigrl622
    geminigrl622 Posts: 144
    Options
    I have only lost 18lbs and I did that by jogging and walking in my neighborhood. I usually do 6-8 miles 4 or 5 times a week.
  • Kourtne_KK
    Kourtne_KK Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    thanks totally inspired!
  • Kourtne_KK
    Kourtne_KK Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    wow thanks guys. its good to know there a fair amount of you on here! add me if you can!
  • BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Yes. You lose weight in the kitchen, get fit in the gym.
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I've lost mine just walking and using MFP settings. I try to walk 30-60 minutes 3-5 times a week (but that doesn't always happen! LOL). I also do some strength training with dumbbells to work on my bat wings! LOL
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I lost 121 lbs doing mostly just jumping rope, training with a suspension trainer, and being good about nutrition.
  • LPCoder
    LPCoder Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    For people with kids:

In the winter I would load the kids in the stroller and hit the mall before the stores open (the mall opened 1 hour before the stores) with other moms trying to get a bit of exercise and chat time. Then the kids played at the play ground while I stretched. I would then treat them to story time at the bookstore. We got permission at our mall to host an exercise group (before the stores opened, we set up "stations" at various parts of the mall with weights or bands. We would walk to each station, do an exercise and the walk to the next station. then when the coffee store opened, we would sit and have a morning cup of coffee and go to the bookstore for story time.

Summer time: I attached the trailer to my bike and went for a ride. Walked outside or took the kids to the forest preserve for a hike in the woods. I volunteered to be a coach for soccer (lots of run around time!)

Buy a few exercise bands for at home toning and do some push-ups, sit-ups, leg lifts, etc.. for toning.

I do Wii Zumba 2 a few times a week. That is fun and I burn tons of calories that way.

Consider replacing your chair at work with an exercise ball so you can sit on it and wiggle, bounce and give yourself an all day lower body workout.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    All you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit. You can do it without working out at all.
  • WilliamsPeggy
    WilliamsPeggy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    HW 167
    CW 140

No gym.