Personal Training Cert. Question

Options
All weekend I've been looking into the different CPT associations.. I've narrowed my choices down to ACSM and NASM... I'm leaning more towards NASM (Lifetime only accepts NASM though not sure if I want to work at Lifetime.. but it it's the only one Lifetime accepts, it must be very widely accepted)... Both have similar setups but NASM is just a little more expensive... anyone have any "insider" knowledge?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,682 Member
    Options
    If I had the money, I'd do NASM. Heard the test is pretty tough too and usually that's an indication that you have to really know your ****.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    bump. lemme know what you go with girl!
  • JenaePavlak
    JenaePavlak Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    If I had the money, I'd do NASM. Heard the test is pretty tough too and usually that's an indication that you have to really know your ****.

IDEA Fitness member

That's cool.. I'd rather not do the "cheap" ones cuz I think ones who just kind of want to get into it would be more apt to do those.. spending a little more cash also feels like I'd want it more, and I would hope get "more bang for my buck"
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    When I was researching certifications, my final two were NASM and NSCA. I decided on NSCA CSCS because of the direction I would like to go. I haven't taken the exam yet. I have until March of 2013 to take it.

NASM is a very respected certification in the industry. Good luck!
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure my fiance has NASM. he paid like $800 and they sent him everything he needed to prepare for the test...a dvd, workbook, and textbook. he studied his *kitten* off and did the activities in the workbook...and he passed the test first try.
  • JenaePavlak
    Options
    I'm pretty sure my fiance has NASM. he paid like $800 and they sent him everything he needed to prepare for the test...a dvd, workbook, and textbook. he studied his *kitten* off and did the activities in the workbook...and he passed the test first try.

Yeah the full NASM program (with 3-day workshop) is $899..
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I still think you should consider opening up a small personalized gym. Not sure how much money it would take but I'm sure you could get a small business loan. I don't see you fitting in at a Lifetime, YMCA, or that sort of gym. You care and most of those PT's don't. I see the ones at my gym walking around like zombies when they are training people. It's pretty sad. I think you'd have great success if you ran the show! Maybe you and your BF could do it together since he's also big into fitness??
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,682 Member
    Options
    I still think you should consider opening up a small personalized gym. Not sure how much money it would take but I'm sure you could get a small business loan. I don't see you fitting in at a Lifetime, YMCA, or that sort of gym. You care and most of those PT's don't. I see the ones at my gym walking around like zombies when they are training people. It's pretty sad. I think you'd have great success if you ran the show! Maybe you and your BF could do it together since he's also big into fitness??
    Personalized gyms can be expensive. Rent, equipment purchase, insurance (a biggie), advertising, etc. It's more about you a person than where you work (although you want to work in a respectable place).
    Unless people are willing to probably spend more money on a personal gym service, most will opt with working with a good trainer at their own gym.

IDEA Fitness member
  • JenaePavlak
    Options

In the future, this may be a possibility, but for now, I want to think about the "baby steps".. get the certification, start part-time as a Personal trainer... go back to school and get a second bachelors.... get more into a niche market maybe.. then maybe open my own gym... :)
  • JenaePavlak
    Options
    Oh and this is sort of the dream for both my BF and I so it's nice to have full support! :)