What do you eat before your morning run?

Options
kimmyj74
kimmyj74 Posts: 223 Member
I usually hate morning running, but I have 2 races coming up in August and need to practice. They are at 8am and 9am.

I have to have at least some coffee, and from what I've been reading, I need complex carbs. I was thinking a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on whole wheat toast.

What do you fuel up on before you head out in the morning?

Replies

• cwelch2677
    cwelch2677 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    COFFEE!!! and usually oatmeal maybe with some fruit 30min to an hour before I go out to give things time to adjust :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    When I'm training I'll rarely eat before a morning run but on race day I do (2 to 3 hrs beforehand). Being creatures of habit my race day breakfast is almost always peanut butter on whole wheat toast, a banana, yogurt and, of course, a couple of gallons of coffee.

What distances are you racing?
  • choosetobethebetteryou
    Options
    I usually will eat something with a lot of protein, and DEFINITELY a banana (high in potassium) to prevent cramping. Then, I let my food digest so I don't get cramps or feel full on the run. Don't forget to drink water before every meal!! :)
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    I don't eat anything before a morning run, banana and protein powder afterwards. Race day i will have a banana before the race but that is it. I don't like to run/workout after eating anything.
  • kyntor4
    kyntor4 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    maybe a half piece of toast with a little peanut butter on it, just enough to have a little something in the stomach. On race day always a banana, peanut butter, and toast
  • payupalice
    payupalice Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I get up less than an hour before I run, so I don't eat until afterward. I don't like to have anything down the hatch within 2 - 3 hours of working out.
  • kimmyj74
    kimmyj74 Posts: 223 Member
    Options

What distances are you racing?

Oh They both are just a couple of 5K's. But I still don't run in the morning, but will be getting up within a half hour of running (on training days). I tend to get low blood sugar so skipping food all together is just not an option.
  • Jbirch76
    Jbirch76 Posts: 34
    Options
    6 day's a week I eat the following 45 minutes to an hour before running 3 to 3.5 miles.

All blended into a shake.

Blue Diamond - Unsweetened Almond Milk, 1 cup (250ml)
    Spinach - Raw, 2 cups
    Pb2 - More Than 85% Less Fat Powdered Peanut Butter, 2 TBSP
    Generic - Strawberries, 3 Strawberry
    Spectrum Essentials - Chia Seeds, 1 Tbsp
    Gnc Pro Performance Amp Wheybolic Extreme 60 - - Protien Shake, 1 scoops
    Blueberries - Frozen, unsweetened, 0.5 cup, unthawed
    Banana - Medium - Peeled (7-8 Inches Length), 0.5 - medium

I then go immediately into 1 hour of lifting.

Then 20 to 30 minutes after I eat 30 to 40g of protein.
  • lbinns77
    lbinns77 Posts: 8
    Options
    I normally don't eat anything before morning runs. Occasionally for long runs, I'll have a tbsp of peanut butter or 1/2 scoop of Vega in water (http://myvega.com/products/vega-one-shake/features-benefits) and I find that helps!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    For 5k run you wont need anything too complicated. I think your suggestion of peanut butter on wholewheat toast is spot on.

Happy running!
  • Devlyn_P
    Devlyn_P Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Nothing before a 5-15k. Anything longer I carb up 2 hrs prior.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I don't. I think you're supposed to, and I've tried it and I do feel like I have more energy during the run, but it makes my tummy sick so I just don't :-(
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that eating simple carbs (like fruit and processed grains) are the best foods to consume if you run relatively quickly after eating, because they are digested quickly. I find this works well for me (whether its actually true, or just the placebo effect, I don't know)

I'm in a deep, deep rut and pretty much always have the same thing. I eat a bagel thin (topped with greek yogurt and salsa) and then apple slices sprinkled with cinnamon. Sometimes I'll go crazy and switch out the bagel for an english muffin (if we have any, that is). I wash it all down with some instant coffee (tastes like crap, but feels like jet fuel)
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that eating simple carbs (like fruit and processed grains) are the best foods to consume if you run relatively quickly after eating, because they are digested quickly. I find this works well for me (whether its actually true, or just the placebo effect, I don't know)

^^^ This works for with with any pre-workout meal. If I consume anything high in protein I often feel dizzy & sick to my stomach. Protein is my post-workout meal.

I usually have peanut butter on whole wheat & a banana (as someone else mentioned) but if I'm getting up and heading straight out the door to run, I'll have nothing but water. Never coffee only because it will make me have to run to the bathroom a million times!!!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I typically eat an apple with a little peanut butter. Then run, then a high protein breakfast after. (I always run, and do all my workouts, first thing in the morning)
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    i cant eat in the morning!
  • Cassaaaaandra
    Cassaaaaandra Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    This sounds absolutely nuts but when I had to do PT tests when I was in the military (always soooo early in the morning) this is what I ate prior to the test (despite very healthy eating otherwise)

Wake up and down 1 500mL bottle of water

1.5 hours before the run/PT test:
    down 1 500mL bottle of water
    1 sausage biscut from McDonalds
    1 banana with peanut butter
    COFFEE

Sip water until its go time.

I **always** made my best scores. Personally I think its the quick carbs in combination with fats and proteins.
  • Anonymou5
    Anonymou5 Posts: 92
    Options
    Have a bagel with some honey on, that should give you all the energy you will need, avoid fats and protein as it effects how effectively your body can metabolise glycogen/glucose.

Then post run grab some protein =]
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Oh They both are just a couple of 5K's. But I still don't run in the morning, but will be getting up within a half hour of running (on training days). I tend to get low blood sugar so skipping food all together is just not an option.

Just 5Ks???? Never, ever say "just" a 5K. :laugh: :laugh:

5k races are really hard for both new and experienced runners, they may be short compared to a marathon but the intensity is insane. This may sound counter-intuitive but (in terms of enjoyment) I'd rather run a half marathon than a balls-to-the-wall 5K.
  • kale_powered
    kale_powered Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    The route I take for my everyday morning run equates to a 5k (and I've never been in a race, so that is my "race"), so I always try to eat something small beforehand. Usually I have a cup of almond milk, a cup of green tea, and one of my homemade knockoff Lärabars (sometimes it's oatmeal and fruit instead). I just wish it would cool down outside so I can do my morning run again, I'm starting to get antsy but I don't want to pass out halfway through, haha.