still soft all over

Options
Just wondered if anyone could tell me where I might be going wrong.
I am 5" and weigh 112 pounds. I know I don't really need to lose any weight. However, I have been working out hard, strength training with weights, abs, cardio 5 times a week for a long time and I am still soft without any definition. I also always eat under 1200 cals a day. I can feel that the muscles underneath are hard but they are covered in a layer of stubborn fat. Anyone have any tips about how I can shed the fat so I can actually see the results I have been working for? Anyone having the same problem?

Thanks.

Replies

• qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Have you try eating more calories? Maybe track your macros. I guess it also depends on what exactly you are doing for weight training and cardio.
  • PaintedHales
    Options
    thanks for your reply. I'm a bit of an amateur and don't really know anything about macros and I haven't tried eating more but always make sure I don't eat under. I always get majority of my calories from protein and stick to low carb low fat. I have definitely built muscle and am much stronger, so feel fairly happy with my excersize. Its just I know it would be so much more defined if I was able to get leaner.
    Had a look at at your pics by the way and you look AMAZING!
  • juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    your body is probably holding on to excess fat b/c its not getting enough food. i suggest upping your calories. there's lots of great info here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/3834-eat-more-to-weigh-less
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    It's more than likely in your food.

Your first post says you eat UNDER 1200 calories. If that is correct you are going to need to eat more.

If you don't need to be losing any more weight, then you need to be eating your maintenance (and possibly more depending on your goals). And working out with weights.
  • PaintedHales
    Options
    Oops I didn't mean to write UNDER. I always get to 1200, a few over or a few under (single figures). I will try upping them. Thank you
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Yup, try upping it to maintenance calorie. Good luck.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Eat a bit more a lift heavy, you dont really need to do abs as well if youre lifting big as you'll gain core strength from compoud exercises. Stronglifts 5x5 is a good beginner prgramme, but Ive heard great things about New rules of lifting for Women :)
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I have had good results by incorporating more protein into my diet (I try to get 70-100g/day). Also, maybe try lifting heavier weights to make the muscles bigger/more defined?
  • jgunn81
    jgunn81 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    *disappointed face*

*picks mind up out of the gutter and leaves*
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    I also always eat under 1200 cals a day.

This is problem #1.

Problem # 2 is that you weigh 112 lbs.

If I had to guess, I'd say your body is all 'hell naw' about losing more fat. Feed it and it might change its mind. You might even try eating at ABOVE maintenance for a bit. I'm sure it will freak you out to gain some weight... but if you eat above maintenance and lift hard and heavy, you'll put on some muscle. You can then cut calories again and lose fat and you'll look amazing.

But I agree with therealadgd... you should be eating at maintenance right now at the very least. Don't diet anymore. Eat eat eat and work work work. :P

Good luck.
  • PaintedHales
    Options
    Thanks everyone for being so helpful. I suppose I have always been in the mindset of eating as few calories as possible.

One more thing... Anyone got any suggestions for the types of food I should be adding in to boost my calories? Is it best to stick to high protein etc?
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    What kind of lifting program are you doing?

And yes, eat more, and at least 90 or so grams of protein. 1 gram for every pound of lean body mass.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options

This is problem #1.

If I had to guess, I'd say your body is all 'hell naw' about losing more fat. Feed it and it might change its mind. You might even try eating at ABOVE maintenance for a bit. I'm sure it will freak you out to gain some weight... but if you eat above maintenance and lift hard and heavy, you'll put on some muscle. You can then cut calories again and lose fat and you'll look amazing.

But I agree with therealadgd... you should be eating at maintenance right now at the very least. Don't diet anymore. Eat eat eat and work work work. :P

Good luck.

Keep in mind, the OP says she is 5 feet tall. 112lb puts her well within the acceptable BMI (21) and 1200 likely isn't very far below her BMR.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options

This is problem #1.

Good luck.

Keep in mind, the OP says she is 5 feet tall. 112lb puts her well within the acceptable BMI (21) and 1200 likely isn't very far below her BMR.

Yes, 1200 is probably close to her BMR, but why would she want to eat at her BMR? She sounds pretty active, so she can eat a lot and still lose weight if she wants. She also is complaining about being soft. You fix that with exercise and macro nutrient ratios, not with a huge calorie deficit.