Appetizer Help!

Options
vbrent07
vbrent07 Posts: 115
For the holiday tomorrow I plan on making a couple appetizers. I love chips and dip but I know most dips are bad for you! I was wondering if anyone had any low cal/low fat ideas for appetizers or dips? Please share your ideas, thanks!

Replies

• TeresaKomink
    Options
    Salsa and guacamole are really tasty dips and are very good for you! Happy Fourth!
  • wwk10
    wwk10 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Slice very thin slices of french bread, brush with olive oil broil for 1 - 2 minutes. Brush other side with olive oil and broil 1-2 minutes. Top with slice of good mozarella, slice of fresh tomato, one fresh basil leaf, salt and pepper.

or

Veggetable crudite. Julienne red yellow green bell peppers, carrots, celery even raw hericott grean beans.
    Experiment with greek yogurt for a dip.
    Fage 0 fat plain greek yogurt with ranch dressing powder or with lemon juice salt and cayene or with honey, basil etc etc etc
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I love prawns (shrimp) just seasoned with a little garlic and chilli, and serve with little cocktail sticks to pick up.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Try making fruit kabobs for your appetizers. I saw one that made an american flag out of them. Alternate banana slices and strawberry slices on most and lined 'em up (looks like the strips). Then put blueberries on some (to look like the blue portion). Sorry, couldn't get the pic.

Veggies and hummus are always faves in our house.

Make your dips with greek yogurt to make them healthier
    Stuffed mushrooms are one of my faves, and then use healthy stuffing.
  • fdlafon
    fdlafon Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Buy some Sabra Hummus for your dip! So many flavors and they are stinking delicious!!!

Supremely Spicy is my favorite!!!!!!
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Hummus with Pita Chips and carrot and celery sticks! :)
  • crrc78
    crrc78 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Buy some Sabra Hummus for your dip! So many flavors and they are stinking delicious!!!

Supremely Spicy is my favorite!!!!!!

I make "deviled" eggs using red pepper hummus instead of the yolk mixture to fill the hardboiled egg whites.
    Most people don't even realize that its hummus, but everyone devours them!!!

They're high protein, low carb and low fat!
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    tastespotting.com just type in healthy dips or anything you want to look for. Lots of great pictures and if you click on them you get the recipe. Be careful it's an addictive site
  • specialemy
    specialemy Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    No fat dip:

Nonfat plain greek yogurt
    Garlic powder
    Salt to taste
    Sliced green onions
    Few drops any hot sauce

Yummy with sliced bell peppers
  • learning2fly4
    learning2fly4 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    You can make fresh salsa - then turn some of it into guacamole.

I use two large tomatoes, 1 red pepper, 1 small cucumber, a clove of garlic and 1 red onion, and some sprinkles of cilantro. Lastly add in lime and lemon juice and salt to taste.

The take four avocados, and add in 1/4 cup of salsa per two avacados, and blend up. again add in lime, lemon and salt to taste.

I got my bf who hates avocados to request guac 3X in 1 week.
  • Xniecex
    Xniecex Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Im sure you can adapt these to your caloric needs/wants with sugar free jello.

4, 6-oz. size jello (any colors you like)
    4 envelopes unflavored gelatin 1,
    14-oz. can sweetened condensed milk
    1 cup regular milk

Dissolve 1 box Jell-o in 1 cup boiling water. Mix well and stir in 1 cup cold water. Pour into 13" X 9" pan and refrigerate for about 30 minutes or until soft-set.

While this layer is cooling, mix the 4 envelopes of gelatin with 2 cups boiling water and stir well. Add condensed milk and 1 cup regular milk. Pour about 1 1/2 cups over first layer when it's cool.

Let white layer cool for about 30 minutes before adding the next layer.

Dissolve each box Jell-o in 1 cup boiling water in the color order you choose. Mix well and stir in 1 cup cold water, allowing jell-o to cool before pouring gently on top of previous layer.

Pour each layer over the top of the milk layer and refrigerate for about 30 minutes or until soft-set, finishing with a colored layer. You should have 4 layers of colored jell-o and 3 layers of white between them.

The white mixture will need to be reheated slightly (as it cools and begins to jell while it sits and waits to be poured over the next layer), so that it flows easily when the next white layer is poured on top of the colored layer. Do NOT allow each layer to jell completely before adding the next layer, as they may not adhere to each other. I place a large slotted spoon over the previous jell-o layer and pour the liquid into the middle of the spoon so that it fans out over previous layer.
  • vbrent07
    vbrent07 Posts: 115
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the good ideas!