Calories burned for strength training

Options
How do you measure calories burned while lifting weights? Do I need to buy one of those gadgets??

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    There isn't a gadget that can accurately measure it. Just log it as strength training under cardio.
  • Flamenquero
    Flamenquero Posts: 132
    Options
    Use a heart rate monitor.
  • MalSponseller
    MalSponseller Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    There isn't a gadget that can accurately measure it. Just log it as strength training under cardio.

Wait, wait, wait. You can do that?
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I just take a best guess - say 250 calories per hour for me - 195 lbs male....close enough.
  • smm03101
    smm03101 Posts: 3
    Options
    How are you working out? I do lots of reps, with little rest in between, and log it as "circuit training"
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    Just pick strength training under cardio and log your time. I am not an expert and have no idea if it is accurate but that's how I log it for myself. The calories burned come up on the low side so I don't think it overestimates them, but again I'm not an expert and could be wrong.
  • UnderConstructionLuis
    Options
    You can use an HRM and just log it under cardio. Same difference. That's what i do.
  • Arredondo145
    Arredondo145 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thank you so much!
  • MalSponseller
    MalSponseller Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    How do you log it under cardio?

Go into your cardio and search for circuit training. Just did to check and it is most definitely there.
  • jdploki70
    jdploki70 Posts: 343
    Options
    I don't log it much at all since I don't use a HRM. From what I understand, there are calculators out there, some that use the HRM, some that use your height, weight, age, and other factors. I just got to the point where I determined there is no way I can eat enough to eat all my calories back and consider the weight training a wash.
  • Maureeeen
    Maureeeen Posts: 9
    Options

I was wondering how the heck you did that. I never looked under cardio. Thanks!!!
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    I just log it as strength training under cardio
  • wellbert
    Options
    You can use an HRM and just log it under cardio. Same difference. That's what i do.

According to polar ft7, I burn up 1300-1600 calories an hour strength training.

According to MFP, something like 397.

Better get to eating those 1600 calories...
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options

yikes... my hrm says i burn around 75 calories for 25 mins. What the heck are you lifting?
  • wellbert
    Options

yikes... my hrm says i burn around 75 calories for 25 mins. What the heck are you lifting?

Volkswagens!

Just the typical compounds.. deadlift, squat, bench, power cleans. pull ups, chin ups, dips...
    One heavy deadlift will immediately send my heart rate to max, and it takes ages to come down.

OTOH, my ft7 is like.. within 10% of mfp's estimates for walking/cycling/etc.
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options

I do this as well. I generally only do 30 minutes at a time, and MFP says that's around 100 calories for me. (5'6, 173 lbs)
  • hazymary
    hazymary Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I don't count those calories burned while lifting...I guess there's enough guess work in cardio calories burned and calories consumed that 3x week at approx. 120 calories, it'll all balance out in the end.
  • usc2626
    usc2626 Posts: 186
    Options
    HRM don't work well for strength training.
  • rumpusparable
    Options
    If I'm doing regular weight lifting like bench presses, bicep curls, etc where I get breaks and don't get my heartrate way up I log it as strength training under cardio. When doing BodyPump where you don't really get any rest and the exercises get my heart rate up high, close to max, I log it as circuit training.
  • allymacary
    allymacary Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Are you serious!?! All this time!! I only ever logged it under strength exercises, I just thought it didn't burn calories (I'm dumb, I know.) Well I guess I was only off by a 100 or so calories :bigsmile: You learn something new everyday, right??