Chinese Buffet help...

Options

Replies

• leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    i dont know what to tell you..all i know is its all loaded with sodium, and thats what hurts me..i know its your dad, but eat for you, not for him (i honestly dont want that to sound mean or rude)..good luck
  • carebear7951
    carebear7951 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I'd call this a "free day" and have at it.
    When I go to a Chinese buffet, each plate is about 1500 calories, and I usually get 3.
    LOVE IT!
    As for you?
    Stick with the tofu and seaweed...:sick:
    Or consider just having a fabulous time with your dad.....

LOL @ the tofu and seaweed!!! We just went to the chinese buffet on Saturday. Exercise extra??? Drink extra and try to sweat it out!? And let it go and enjoy your time with your dad...then at dinner eat fresh fruit and veggies maybe!?
  • hiddensmiles21
    Options
    A big bow of wonton soup! The wontons aren't terrible calorie wise and the broth will fill you up!
    And watch the sauces on things....thats where those d*mn calories hide...
    But above all just enjoy the time with your dad and don't worry too much, just make good choices for your next meal. :)
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    When I go to a Chinese buffet, each plate is about 1500 calories, and I usually get 3.
    LOVE IT!
    As for you?
    This!!! It's a special day and only one day at that. Don't sweat it - Enjoy!
  • cassavaca
    cassavaca Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    the noodles are not that great, and the sweet and sour chicken isnt great as well either since it is deep fried. I would suggest things from the seafood area (lots of times they have baked salmon or crab legs) and if they have steamed veges or a mongolian section where they cook the food right there, you will know what goes in it. then, they always have a huge salad and fresh fruit section, so to fill up on those things will be much better. If you do any sushi rolls, be careful because each one can add up...

Beware of rice, noodles and anything fried and that looks...shiny, since its mostly stir fried with lots of oil.

On another note, stating that your father thinks "eating = happy" doesnt have to apply to you as well. You can eat...just eat better things...and eat SLOWLY and drink as much water in between bites. It wont be so bad...and STAND UP FOR YOURSELF. If he or anyone else makes a comment about what you're eating...tell them that you are eating some healthier choices for you. Dont use the D word. Family can be brutal when it comes to food...but they wont respect you unless you stand up for yourself and show that to them!
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    You know, one time I went to a buffet and I gained a lot of my weight back, about 50lbs

this is a common occurrence.
    splurging once will certainly negate all hard work prior.

general tso's FTW!!!

Will general tso's make my **** look bigger?
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I would peruse the MFP site to look up Sweet & Sour Pork, Lemon Chicken, etc for a real eye opener of what you are in for. Even harmless looking veggies are usually glistening with oil and calories. Everything is a salt bomb. Go in knowing and plan to have a nice meal with your dad. You can try lots of bites of different things but it doesn't mean you have to eat 3 plates just because it is a buffet. Pay attention to the taste and if anything isn't extraordinary then don't finish it. Concentrate on celebrating time with your dad, and not the food itself. Portion control will probably be your best option for anything you find there.
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I've got to do this on Friday -- we've got a working lunch at an asian buffet. All I can say is be wary of rice; too many places called fried rice "brown" rice, and it's just white rice that LOOKS brown because it's fried. I'll just be trying to avoid the breaded stuff, and looking for dishes with as many veggies as possible with as little sauce as possible, then totally guestimating on my MFP log...
  • jenngi620
    jenngi620 Posts: 51
    Options
    Once when I first started MFP I went to a CB and had (what I thought was a moderate portion) a plate and a half of my usual picks. There was actually a calorie entry for "Chinese Buffet" and I was shocked at how many calories I likely ate. More recently, my enlightened self went back to a different CB. Knowing what I know now, I spent most of my time filling plates with healthier options. I started with a big salad and peel and eat shrimp- high protein, plus they take a while to eat, which kept me away from some of the calorie bombs. I also like sushi and they had some approximations of that. Again, flavorful and relatively harmless, I avoided the tempura and cream cheese stuffed choices. At the very end, 3 plates later!, I had a tiny portion of just 3 of my favorite Chinese offerings, something like 2 Tbsp lo mein, two small pieces of Generals chicken, and a piece each of beef and broccoli. I was so full by that time I could barely finish it and felt like a master of the diet buffet. I ate along with my tablemates, made 3 satisfying trips, and the calorie count ended up far below my first trip. You will make better choices if you aren't starving, so get some healthy salad and low cal/ high fiber-protein in first. Then you will be ok. Best to go in with a plan, good job from the start!
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I would stick to the egg drop soup, no noodles. Lean meats and protein, nothing fried, stick with the thinner sauces. Steamed veggies. Skip the rice. Thats what I do. There are some decent selections, just try and steer away from the carb heavy, sweet, or fried selections.
  • beebee0925
    beebee0925 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    My family went to a Chinese buffet this past weekend and we did good because they have a Mongolian BBQ as well as the buffet. You can pick the veggies and meats and whether or not you want the rice or the noodles and they cook it in front of you. If there is a Chinese buffet with a Mongolian BBQ near you that will be a good option for you.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Make it a cheat day and remember what Grace said when at a buffet go for the meat first then the carbs they fill you up more lol. I always end with a salad the veg helps you digest.
  • michellelemorgan
    michellelemorgan Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I agree. Vegetables and protein. Starches are a bad idea.
  • grapeeyes1
    grapeeyes1 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    My husband and I do Chinese Buffet once a week and once you get the hang of it it is easy to stay under calories. Research first. FInd out how many calories your favorite foods have. Pre plan, decide before you go what you are going to eat. I usually start with some egg drop soup, low in calories and fills you up. Then I do crab legs and then veggies. Good luck!
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I eat Chinese Buffet once a week, work it right into my calorie allowance. Rules are as follows: no rice, no lo mein and nothing fried or breaded. 1/2 plate filled high with veggies, lots of chicken, shrimp, beef. Big glass of water :) Enjoy
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    LOVE IT!
    As for you?

LOL @ the tofu and seaweed!!! We just went to the chinese buffet on Saturday. Exercise extra??? Drink extra and try to sweat it out!? And let it go and enjoy your time with your dad...then at dinner eat fresh fruit and veggies maybe!?
    I blew it out Sunday like this and recorded a pound of weight loss this morning just 2 days after.
    People obsess so much over how best to deprive themselves that they forget how a stifled metabolism can hinder while a revved up physiology can drive good results.
    It's just the same old treadmill to nowhere.
  • atldrew
    atldrew Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I found this online and thought it might help:

Step 1 - Go to the restaurant's website and print a copy of its nutrition guide or use a generic Chinese food guide like the one at healthyweightforum.org (see Resources). Use this to plan your meal before you arrive at the restaurant.

Step 2 - Begin with soup. Both egg drop and wonton soup are low in fat and calories and are good choices to help fill you up. Beginning with a broth-based soup is a good way to eat fewer calories at every meal.

Step 3 - Choose sushi. Sushi is low in calories and packed with vitamins, so treat yourself and indulge in a few pieces. If you're not familiar with sushi, try the vegetable-based ones at first, such as the California rolls.

Step 4 - Pick a variety of main dishes. Choose from the dishes that have been cooked without battering and frying. Beef and broccoli, cashew chicken and steamed green beans are all healthy choices. Avoid dishes with sticky or sweet sauces, such as sweet and sour preparations or General Tsao's chicken.

Step 5 - Pick brown rice and whole wheat noodles if possible. Fried rice is the worst offender, calorie-wise, so avoid that above all. Keep servings of rice and noodles to a reasonable size and don't go back for seconds.

Step 6 - Avoid fried foods. Deep fried chicken bits, egg rolls, fried noodles and crab Rangoon may be traditional parts of a Chinese buffet, but their fat and calorie counts make them very unhealthy. If you must indulge, choose one, savor it and don't go back for seconds.

Step 7 - Treat yourself to dessert. Most Chinese buffets have a variety of fruits as part of their dessert menu, so indulge yourself here. Have a large serving of your favorite fruits and add an almond cookie on the side. Don't forget to finish with a fortune cookie--they're only 35 calories for a bit of fun.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Try to focus on meats. Try to avoid breaded/fried if you can.
  • geoscot
    geoscot Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    1. Don't go.
    2. If you do go, don't eat breakfast or dinner. Eat as much as you want and get your fill. Enjoy yourself. Don't add sodium to prepared foods (ie soy sauce). Also, stay away from Alcoholic beverages, juice and sweetened beverages. Water and unsweatened ice tea are my favorites. Stop eating when you get full. I tend to overeat at buffets. This way you may stay close to your calorie goal and still eat the foods you want. General Tso's Chicken is the BEST! but also high in calories...

Good Luck!
  • rcthale
    rcthale Posts: 141
    Options
    The most calories come from rice and noodles, so you're in relatively good shape just by avoiding those. But, it's still a buffet, so just accept that it won't be an under-goal day and at least make sure those extra calories are high-quality.