Is my summer Diet a good diet?

Options
I'm a director at a summer camp this year and am at a University campus for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner for free at their dining hall at least 4 days a week. While I'm on campus I've cut out meat and soda pop from my diet. The first week all I ate was fruits, veggies and tofu. I was probably eating 10+ fruits and 5 servings of veggies each day along with LOTS of water and green tea.

I ate a lot of salad without dressing, beans, squash, zucchini, mushrooms, peppers and cottage cheese and stayed clear of meat, dairy and carbs as much as possible.

This week I have added cage free, hormone free scrambled eggs and some dairy and little carbs back into my diet as I am starting to do 5k runs in the morning when I get up and right before I go to bed.

I like eating this way, but it is nearly impossible to keep eating this way on the weekends and after camp season is done. Any suggestions about what I've been eating or how I can maintain this diet/workout regiment would be helpful.

Replies

• Dhemeyer
    Dhemeyer Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    First off, wow! You've on your way to establishing a healthy diet... good for you!
    What do you see as impossible about eating this way on the weekends and after camp?
  • lorib75
    lorib75 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Health and wellness are about doing something you can maintain for a lifetime. Are you on a crash diet for a reason? You don't exactly say why are you are eating this way. If it is making you feel good and not like you're starving then I say keep it up. BUT if you are hungry, there is nothing wrong with adding in more protein- they make a powdered peanut butter that is really good in protein shakes.
    just my 2 cents
  • SeaMonkey83
    Options
    I'm eating this way to lose weight. In 2005 I weighed 165, in 2007 I weighed 185, and at the beginning of this summer I was 228.
    These dates correspond with meeting my wife, getting married, and having our first toddler. I want to set a good example for her, but also become more healthy, active and at least half of the 60 lbs I've put on in the last 7 years.

The reason I cannot stick to it on the weekend and after camp is two-fold. First my wife can lose weight without trying and eats whatever she wants. And it is so expensive to buy fresh or organic food that lasts such a little while. We live far from a market or even a store, so it is not feasible to go to the store for fresh ingredients on a two day cycle. We do our main grocery shopping once a month and freeze everything, therefore we are almost forced into processed foods.