So. Much. Sugar...

Options
katamus
katamus Posts: 2,363 Member
I keep under my calories, carbs, and sodium.. But I keep going over on my sugars and sometimes protein. My sugars are set for 29g a day but I take in 40-70 (usually from fruit). Is this a bad thing? Should I drop the fruit intake some? Skip the yogurt? Forget it and just keep eating my set calories?

Replies

• jenzsd
    jenzsd Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with my sugar intake and I think mine is set to the same amount of grams as you. Regardless, one smoothie with fresh fruit can kick me over my sugar amount for the day and it's only the morning. I know we don't want to take in too much sugar, even from fresh fruit, but I really enjoy fruit and would like to eat more throughout the day - especially when I get a craving for something sweet. How bad is this, really?
  • katamus
    Options
    I suppose it's better than eating cake, and it's not processed, but is it going to hurt us..? Could switch over to veggies for snacks instead.
  • riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I always go over on sugar too. I'm really trying to watch the sugar as I have PCOS, and I put on belly fat easily. No matter how much I watch it, I always go way over. Usually on fruit as well. I try to eat fruit only before and after workouts. I don't know what to do about it. I can't live without a lil sugar in the way of some fruit in my life. Curious to see if timing and only eating fruit sugar makes a differance....anyone ???? I've heard 40g is normal enough though. Just as long as it's no high fructose corn syrup.
  • Sarahcuda
    Sarahcuda Posts: 76
    Options
    I also have the same problem... all from fruit.

I try (key word *try*) to eat half as much fruit as veggies every day. This helps keep things in proportion. Also... sugar from fruit (in my opinion) is different from added sugar in food. Stick with the all natural and don't let that sugar number bother you unless you get to an extended plateau!

Keep it up!
    -Sarah
  • JediSwan
    JediSwan Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I have that problem too. It seems like EVERYTHING has sugar in it now. Its very frustrating. I try really hard to watch it but always go over. Natural sugars in fruits must be better for us than cake. So we must be doing something right.

Good luck to you!
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    There is such thing as too much of a good thing, but I have noticed 2 pieces of fruit will put me over. I would say, just don't eat 5 bananas and you'll probably be okay. The protein is definitely not something to worry about going over as MFP sets that limit too low in the first place.
  • fatgirlslove
    fatgirlslove Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I don't count the natural sugars found in fruits....only the refined ones.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I'm over in sugar semi-frequently. I don't worry about it. And I can't say that I'm any worse for wear because of it, either. :-)
  • Dethea
    Dethea Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, getting your sugar from fruit is NOT going to hurt you. In fact, I would not bother tracking your sugar intake unless you have a medical reason to (diabetes or Dr. recommended).

If you are really worried about sugar, at the end of the day look at all the things that have processed sugar in them and try to cut those things down. But don't stop eating fruit just because it makes you go over your sugar intake. The amounts MFP gives are just suggestions, and you should try to eat right around that amount.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Forget it and just keep eating my set calories?

Yes. Unless you've got diabetes or some other reason to limit your sugar intake. If you want to cut out processed sugars but keep your fruit sugars, MFP can't track that for you. So you just have to do it yourself.

And don't worry about going over on your protein either.

...this is assuming you're trying to lose weight, not training for the Olympics or something.
  • paulvt65
    paulvt65 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I usually ignore sugar if I have eaten un-processed foods. Natural fruit sugars are fine - but you need to worry if all your sugars come from high-fructose corn syrup!
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I don't count my fruit sugar. I might have to as I get closer to goal weight, but for now I just stick to my cals and keep my added sugar as low as possible.
  • katamus
    Options
    Thank you all for the feedback, glad I'm not the only one with this issue. I know that not everything is exact on MFP also, so I'll just keep everything the same until I see anything negative come of it. :)
  • ewhitehurst1
    ewhitehurst1 Posts: 178
    Options
    I'm always over on my sugar also, but I just kind of ignore it. I figure I'm still doing way better these days than I was 1 year ago!
  • melbaby925
    melbaby925 Posts: 613
    Options
    I've done some research on the sugar topic....depending on what you read - some sugar is fine, as long as you aren't insulin resistant.

If you are insulin resistant - and most of us with belly fat are (you can also get a blood test for free fasting insulin, if you're over 4, you're in trouble), then the recommendations are to consume less than 25g sugar from ANY fructose source per day. And that's freaking hard to do.

And the protein thing, is .7-1g of protein per lean body mass pound that you have/want. So if you're shooting for 110 pounds of LBM, then 105-110g protein a day is fine. Depends on your goals.

ETA: my insulin #s in January were 16! After cutting sugar to 15g/day or less, my numbers fell to 10.6 in march. I haven't been retested yet...and I've been cheating a bit on the sugar...not surprisingly, I stalled on my weight loss again.
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Barring any health issues, and not stuffing your face full of cake and cookies, done sweat it.
  • DeMarraDontStop
    DeMarraDontStop Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue, just everything in moderation for me at this point!!
  • Jeeenjohnson19
    Jeeenjohnson19 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. In the UK, the recommended daily allowance for sugar is 90g, and your not hitting near that. My sugar intake sometimes reached 120, then i realised how much of a sweet tooth I had! I've got it down to about 70g a day from fruit and yoghurt mostly, and I think its a good balance as MFP's recommendation I think is far too low considering fruit makes a healthy balanced diet.
  • lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I stopped tracking sugar for this reason. I am more concerned about Sodium and Cholesterol. And don't worry about going over on your protein. I always try and double my protein goal for the day.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    People who shouldn't bother tracking sugar:
    a) everyone...