Getting Honest

Options
Ok, so I'm posting this here so that I can get honest with myself. I kept my diary hidden because I was ashamed that even after my new pledge to lose weight I was still eating fast food (my nemesis). Anyways, I thought if I want to be honest with my diary then I have to keep it private. But this morning I work up and realized how motivational it was for me to read other people's diaries. I also realized I was starting to feel shameful and secretive about my eating. I even left off the late night bagel and cream cheese I ate because I was feeling down about it. So I'm like woah, ok, I'm starting to even lie to myself.

So I'm switching my diary to be viewable to my friends, I went back and changed yesterday's diary. The truth is that my eating is soooo much better than before I started here. A big part of this journey was to not feel like a slave to food anymore, and to get honest with myself and others. It's amazing how quickly I can slip back into my old way of dealing with things.

Anyways, thanks for listening. You guys are super motivational. I've loved getting to read posts on the forums and see how everyone else is making it. Keep on keeping on!!

Replies

• rbl1225
    rbl1225 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Congrats on posting your food diary!!! I think it will really help you. I know I have had people commenting on mine and the input from them is amazing! Keep at it and you'll do amazing!
  • Zalli
    Zalli Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I find looking at what others on MFP are eating really informational, treats and junk food and salad and all.

( I think more than a few of us are sometimes tempted to fudge the truth to ourselves sometimes.... Yeah, that would be including myself too....) ;)
  • anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Very cool, congrats!!! I don't think I'll ever be that brave.
  • spells1977
    spells1977 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Well done, that's really brave of you.

I changed my diary a few months back so my friends can view it and i feel it has really helped me. I have vowed to log absolutely everything so it makes me stop and think before i eat something naughty as i know others will be able to see it.

My biggest downfall is alcohol and a couple of times a month i do have a nice binge drink and its so embarassing looking at my diary and seeing 10 beers on there......God knows what my friends think when they see it :laugh: :noway:

Congrats and i hope it helps and motivates you to not keep your diary's private anymore :smile:
  • 00fat2fit00
    00fat2fit00 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone I appreciate it!
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I used to have a huge issue with sneaking food, lying about it and all of the guilt that comes with it. (which, is ultimately why I ended up on MFP!) It took me some time time, but I eventually opened up my diary to my friends, so that I fully felt like I was being accountable, although moreso to myself. I log when I have bad days, and it's helped me learn not to feel ashamed or beat myself up about it.

Best of luck! :-)