for the guys out there...

Okay, so this isn't really a success story but it's in relation to guys that are six feet tall and weighed 140-150 that beefed up and gained some muscle. my boyfriend wants to do all that, and I want to help him! So any advice, tips, ect will be appriciated. Right now hes 6'1 and 138 lbs, he wants to be around 160-170 but his metabolism is really really high.

Replies

• kdsteelez
    kdsteelez Posts: 20 Member
    I would suggest using MFP to track calories. He can set his goal weight and MFP will suggest how many calories he needs to consume on a daily basis to meet his goals. I also suggest a weight lifting program such as StrongLifts 5x5.

Both of you can work together to meet your goals and eat cleanly, only difference is he will consume more.
  • amurdaugh2010
    amurdaugh2010 Posts: 38 Member
    That is a good idea. Thank you! What is the lifting program you mentioned. Any website or info where I can find out more about it?
  • kylejh
    kylejh Posts: 221 Member
    I'm not in the same boat, but from some recent research I've been doing, I think in addition to MFP for more calories, he should try P90x. There are some awesome success videos on YouTube, and I noticed some were a similar increase - but one note... It will mostly be muscle gain, and therefore will have to be maintained at a gym after the 90 days.
  • kdsteelez
    kdsteelez Posts: 20 Member
    http://www.stronglifts.com

Free to sign up and get a report and a spreadsheet to help track your workouts. StrongLifts is a simple but effective program. It only requires you to workout three days a week and is progressive meaning you start light to perfect form and add weight each workout.

Note: Access to a power rack and olympic size weights is critical to the stonglifts program.
  • amurdaugh2010
    He has a lifting bench and big round weights that go on a bar. I'm more of the yoga/cardio workout kinda girl. So i have no idea what these things are called. But thank you!
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    I'm a girl, but I'll add my bit, I haven't used MFP to lose but to gain, so I highly recommend him to get on here as the calorie counting can really help you find the right calorie number, and the right macro set up for gaining success (though it make take some tweaking, as I also have a high metabolism, which is why I was never able to gain weight before, The amount I needed to eat to gain was a lot more than I realized, also they types of foods I was eating were not the best choices) basically he will need to do some kind of strength training program, up his protein and eat at a surplus, there are ton of great guys (and girls) on here who also use MFP for their bulking and cutting cycles who are a great support!
  • amurdaugh2010
    Thank you, yeah i know he has to eat like a gazzilion calories for him to gain anything substantial. It's actually really difficult to buy that much food...lol
  • ammerlou
    ammerlou Posts: 18
    My Husband wanted to do the same as your boyfriend. He started at 6'0 150lbs. He upped his calories A LOT! and started Strong Lifts. He ate very clean (Lots of meat and veggies, no white breads, sugars) and drank an insane amount of Whole Milk and managed to gain 15lbs of muscle. it was a little frustrating how much he ate compared to me, but he is very happy with his outcome thus far! Definitely works though!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!