Making Clothes Last

Options
Does anyone have any tips to make your too-big clothes last as long as possible without looking ridiculous? I’ve been cutting my jeans that are too big into shorts and wear them with a belt and that seems to be working right now since it’s summer. I’ve also been wearing more belts with dresses that are too baggy, but that’s about as creative as I’ve been able to get. Any suggestions would be great- I’m frugal and will probably just continue wearing clothes that are too big for a while until I’m forced to buy new ones.

Replies

• artbkward
    artbkward Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Take your favorites to a place that does alterations, it doesn't cost a lot to have a few seams taken in.
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    With my pj pants, I've folded the waist band down. That works.. my tank tops, cut the strap and re-tie it =)
    I'm getting ready to have my boyfriend make a new notch in my belt.. Pants I try not to wear more than 2 sizes too big pants.. because it makes it look like I've got a wiener.. O.O
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Or learn to sew if you have a machine (:
  • MammaC66
    MammaC66 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is much you can to to make them fit better other than what you are already doing. I just hit all the thrift stores and buy new ones. It doesn't cost much and makes me feel good to get into smaller sizes. Wearing clothes that fit also makes you look smaller.
  • healthycrane
    Options
    If you work in an office environment, go to a thrift store or ebay and buy clothes that fit. Dressing in clothes that are too big looks sloppy and unprofessional.
  • oldmanstauf
    oldmanstauf Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    If you work in an office environment, go to a thrift store or ebay and buy clothes that fit. Dressing in clothes that are too big looks sloppy and unprofessional.

This. I went far too long for my own good. Thrift stores like Goodwill and Salvation Army are great for me and anyone else who needs clothes that fit, but don't want to spend the money knowing there is more weight to lose. Nothing as frustrating as having to buy new clothes every 4-5 months. I'll probably buy new when I reach my goal.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    you probably look great as you have lost enough for your clothes to be too big. you will look even better if you treat yourself to something new that fits properly.
  • robinhardysmall
    robinhardysmall Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I love Goodwill right now~ I just buy pants for $3.50- jackets $3.00 and shirts for $3.00.
    When I'm done- I take them back and get the tax write-off as well.

I have found things that still have the tags on them- don't be afraid to go look and check it out- you might be surprised :)
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Give away the clothes and buy the basics - that's what I have been doing. Right now I am relying on a lot of dresses because you get the most bang for your buck, they are comfy in the summer and they last longer when you lose weight ( a large size empire waist dress can be worn with a 20 - 30 pound swing for sure). DO NOT wear your old clothes - frugal or not you should buy clothes that make you feel good about your accomplishments. I can get by on: one sweatshirt, one sweater, 2 regular bras plus a work out one (that I hand wash frequently) , 10 pairs of undies, three dresses, two pairs of capris, one pair of regualr shorts and two pairs of jean shorts, 2 blouses, 5 short sleeves, a pair of workout shorts, and a pair of workout capris. I am still wearing my too big pjs too. Shop at TJ Max, Marshalls, and Old Navy and you can get all that for cheap.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    If they are yoga type pants I roll them over.... if they are like shirts or tank tops, I layer them...

I finally just got to the point I had 1-2 outfits that actually fit properly. Boosted my self confidence and I have been dating, so it was kind of important haha!!! I wear scrubs for work, so I made those last longer until people told me I looked silly!!!

Good luck.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    Give away the clothes and buy the basics - that's what I have been doing. Right now I am relying on a lot of dresses because you get the most bang for your buck, they are comfy in the summer and they last longer when you lose weight ( a large size empire waist dress can be worn with a 20 - 30 pound swing for sure). DO NOT wear your old clothes - frugal or not you should buy clothes that make you feel good about your accomplishments. I can get by on: one sweatshirt, one sweater, 2 regular bras plus a work out one (that I hand wash frequently) , 10 pairs of undies, three dresses, two pairs of capris, one pair of regualr shorts and two pairs of jean shorts, 2 blouses, 5 short sleeves, a pair of workout shorts, and a pair of workout capris. I am still wearing my too big pjs too. Shop at TJ Max, Marshalls, and Old Navy and you can get all that for cheap.

WOW your basics is a normal wardrobe for me. I literally had like 2 jeans and a few tops! Now that I am closer to my goal and clothes are lasting longer I have added... But it is hard, all new clothes, new scrubs for work, new pj's, new work out clothes, new bras, new undies, all new coats, and for me SHOES! But I'd rather pay for it all then be 83lbs heavier.
  • kristi5224
    kristi5224 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Buffalo Trading company. They give you stare credit for your stuff but they are picky
  • angeeishere
    angeeishere Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    If you have a sewing maching try to put in some princess seams (or darts) around the midsection of shirts and take up the shoulder seams. I've only had luck with tops and shirts, I find pants are a bit more difficult to alter myself and easier to go to a second hand shop and thrift store for those.
  • slashkiss
    slashkiss Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thrift stores are awesome! I even found brand new black dress slacks from White House/Blacket Market for only $6! I go in every so often and scope out not only the size I am currently wearing but also a size or 2 smaller so right now I am wearing 14/16 but I already have some 12s in my closet just anxiously waiting for me to drop a few more pounds. Those smaller sizes hanging at the fronst of my closet give me something to look forward to!
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I love Goodwill right now~ I just buy pants for $3.50- jackets $3.00 and shirts for $3.00.
    When I'm done- I take them back and get the tax write-off as well.

I have found things that still have the tags on them- don't be afraid to go look and check it out- you might be surprised :)

^^This is great! My hubby and I are both losing weight, and we do the same thing. I told my brother about it, and he said we were just renting our clothes from Goodwill. :laugh:

Our Goodwill stores have special days when certain tag colors are all .99 each. My hubby is still losing, so he makes a point to go on those days.
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I have actually always bought nearly everything I wear from thrift stores, but that's great advice for people that don't typically shop second hand. Sewing darts into blouses and doing more layering is a great idea too, thanks! I was trying to avoid pulling out the sewing machine, but I don't think I'm going to get that lucky.
    I'm actually not too self-conscious and I feel pretty good about myself regardless of whether my clothes fit me properly or not (I see myself naked every day, so I know what's going on under those clothes :smile: ) I'm mostly looking for DIY ideas on easy ways to get my clothes to stretch (or should I say shrink?) a month or so longer. Thanks for everyone’s input!