Red Wine & Weight

Options
A little background on me: I love red wine... I drink a glass with dinner a few times a week (and we have a wine party once in a blue moon where I drink a few more, haha). My fitness/weight goal is to be in overall good health. I hope to lose 15 pounds to get into a healthy BMI and feel better about myself.

Now, I have heard opposing views on wine & alcohol, that it is beneficial to weight loss in moderate quantities (a drink a day), and that it is purely empty calories and should be eschewed... If I budget for a glass with the MFP calorie counter, will I be helping or hindering my weight loss goal?

Replies

• myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I drink between 5 and 15 ounces of wine on a nearly daily basis, keeping it within my caloric budget.

If it's hindered my weight loss, I certainly can't tell.
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    There are studies that indicate a glass of red wine a day is good for cardiovascular health, but they are empty calories, and fat metabolism stops as your body metabolizes the alcohol.

However, here is my philosophy. Long-term success is dependent on long term-habits. Self-denial works against long-tern habits, because you'll miss the things you enjoy and then feel guilty when your will power fades. So don't deny yourself, but make sure it is in moderation....enjoy!
  • janemem
    janemem Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I drink a glass of wine a night sometimes red sometimes white, it depends what I've got in, tonight it will be red.
    I factor my alcohol in to my daily allowance of calories and I have to say, it hasn't stopped me losing weight at all. In fact I'm sure if I gave it up and ate those calories instead then I'd maybe gain a bit.
    If you enjoy a glass of red then don't worry, just make sure you have enough calories to 'pay' for it each time. :drinker:
  • thejonperry
    Options
    I'm on day 3 so keep that in mind. But i switched from beer to vodka with carbinated water and zero calorie powerade (classy =D). Keeping my calorie budget I have lost 2 lbs a day. Eat, drink and be Merry.
  • DeadMarsha
    DeadMarsha Posts: 203
    Options
    I like the way you guys think... I'll be sure to save some calories for a glass of Malbec tomorrow!! ;)
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I love red wine too! Unfortunately, I've found that it makes me peckish, so I try to avoid it most nights. Every now and then I'll have a glass and count it in my calories.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I drink a moderate amount of red wine, lost 30 pounds while doing so, and have maintained that loss for almost 5 months. Did it slow my loss down? Maybe, I can't say for sure. But I was in this for the long haul and my long term plan in life involves red wine, so we needed to learn how to live together and not be fat! :laugh:
  • doggiesnot
    doggiesnot Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    There are studies that indicate a glass of red wine a day is good for cardiovascular health, but they are empty calories, and fat metabolism stops as your body metabolizes the alcohol.

However, here is my philosophy. Long-term success is dependent on long term-habits. Self-denial works against long-tern habits, because you'll miss the things you enjoy and then feel guilty when your will power fades. So don't deny yourself, but make sure it is in moderation....enjoy!

Perfectly said! :drinker:
  • kieva626
    kieva626 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I drink red wine and will not be giving it up anytime soon :-)
  • mrsRhughes
    mrsRhughes Posts: 122
    Options
    If you like wine parties, then we would get along really well!! :) I have been a red wine drinker for years. I drink about two glasses (.... sometimes more like GOBLETS!) a night. One while I'm cooking (this is my favorite part of the day!!) and another with or after dinner and then kids are in bed. Back when I was trying to lose weight (I currently am maintaining and happy where I'm at) I stopped drinking altogether and actually GAINED six pounds. Started drinking my wine again, and kept losing. That's just me though ... I know everyone is different. BUT for me, there are two things in life that keep me sane - working out, and drinking wine. So that's what I do! ;)
  • nolakris
    nolakris Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I love red wine! I've experimented with having a glass with dinner through the week and not, and for me, it definitely slows down my losses. I've cut back to a glass on the weekends (usually Friday and Saturday) and skip it during the week. My husband doesn't have this problem, so I think it may depend on the person.
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    My sister made in charge of the cocktails tomorrow - I'm serving cosmos (red), blue berry martinis (blue), and dirty martinis (white). I'll have a couple of the dirty ones.

I'm also going to knock out a 30 mile bike ride in the morning to give myself plenty of calories to work with.
  • BootCampCrazy
    BootCampCrazy Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I drink a moderate amount of red wine, lost 30 pounds while doing so, and have maintained that loss for almost 5 months. Did it slow my loss down? Maybe, I can't say for sure. But I was in this for the long haul and my long term plan in life involves red wine, so we needed to learn how to live together and not be fat! :laugh:

HAHAHA! Love this!
  • BriaMc
    BriaMc Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I love wine and drink it regularly. I think that in moderation it is fine as long as you stay within your calorie goal. As many have mentioned if you arn't gonna give it up for the rest of your life, why give it up now!