strengh training and adding to food diary?

Options
It looks like when I add walking or cardio to my daily diary it subtracts the calories from my food diary, but I can't seem to figure out how to do this when I do strength training? Why is that? I lifted weights for 20 minutes... certainly that should reflect something in my food diary, no?

Replies

• CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Only cardio exercises from the top half of the screen affect the food diary.

There is a cardio exercise in the database : Strength training (weight lifting, weight training). I log 40 minutes, and it credits me 190 calories. And I eat them, mostly protein :drinker:

So - in a way I'm entering that work twice. I enter it on the bottom to keep track of my exercises and weights, and I enter it again as cardio on the top so I get calorie credit. It works for me.

Interestingly - I'm theorietically working with a 500 calorie deficit, but I earn a lot of ex calories most days, and I eat most of them. For the last 2 months I'm holding dead even on weight at 212 pounds, but my waist is getting smaller and everything else is getting bigger and I feel fantastic.

So - for me at least, the MFP setup is just about right or maybe a little too generous with the food. If I was really in a net calorie deficit it would be almost impossible for me to maintain weight - and building muscle while in deficit is just about impossible. But I'm gaining muscle mass,,, so I'm either doing the (nearly) impossible, or my BMR is lower than MFP thinks. Hmmmmm...
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Only cardio exercises from the top half of the screen affect the food diary.

There is a cardio exercise in the database : Strength training (weight lifting, weight training). I log 40 minutes, and it credits me 190 calories. And I eat them, mostly protein :drinker:

So - in a way I'm entering that work twice. I enter it on the bottom to keep track of my exercises and weights, and I enter it again as cardio on the top so I get calorie credit. It works for me.

Interestingly - I'm theorietically working with a 500 calorie deficit, but I earn a lot of ex calories most days, and I eat most of them. For the last 2 months I'm holding dead even on weight at 212 pounds, but my waist is getting smaller and everything else is getting bigger and I feel fantastic.

So - for me at least, the MFP setup is just about right or maybe a little too generous with the food. If I was really in a net calorie deficit it would be almost impossible for me to maintain weight - and building muscle while in deficit is just about impossible. But I'm gaining muscle mass,,, so I'm either doing the (nearly) impossible, or my BMR is lower than MFP thinks. Hmmmmm...

But if you are gaining muscle mass and losing fat, theoretically you could stay at the same weight due to muscle being heavier that fat. I have even gained weight back due to muscle, but have definitely lost fat due to shrinking in inches.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

But if you are gaining muscle mass and losing fat, theoretically you could stay at the same weight due to muscle being heavier that fat. I have even gained weight back due to muscle, but have definitely lost fat due to shrinking in inches.

Yeah, this would be true only if it was possible to gain muscle at the same rate as you lose fat (by mass), which, for 99% of the population (with the exception of PEDs) is almost impossible. Muscle weight is put on far slower than fat is lost generally.
  • CasperO
    Options
    PED's?
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    PED's?

Performance Enhancing Drugs (steroids, HGH, amphetamines...etc.)
  • ShannaP
    Options
    When I initially started weight trainng, I not only tracked my progress in weight but in inches also. I found that over a 2 month time, I had actually gained 2-3 pounds but loss over 6 inches over my body. This proved to me that I gained muscle mass and loss fat. I graduated college in exercise physiology and learned to increase my weights my five pounds a week and to lift to failure, so maybe increasing my intensity each week made my ability to gain muscle mass more efficient ( I was also 25 years old then, too, so who knows?)
  • CasperO
    Options
    Ya', 20 some years ago I had an acquaintance who got into that. We were in the navy, went on a 6 month Med cruise. He juiced up and worked like a dog the whole time we were out. Grew like a balloon animal, got the worst case of acne I'd ever seen. When we got home he competed in Mr. New Jersey, placed high but didn't win, came home disappointed - got in a fight with his wife and put her in traction.

Roid rage is for real. Kelly was a good guy 'til he got into that crap. None for me thanks, I won't even do creatine.
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. :]
  • lovesmerlot
    lovesmerlot Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    thank you for all the information! Here's to being healthy!