Running and not getting hungry?

Options
So I've had to up my running lately and make it more consistent to run cross-country in the fall. But I've noticed I haven't been hungry as often as I used to, nor am I eating as much. Has this happened to anyone else? How do you combat it?
[FYI, not asking for a tearing-apart of my private food diary. This is just a general question.]

Replies

• mary_kate23
    mary_kate23 Posts: 156
    Options
    only thing I could think of would be that running pumps adrenaline.. which helps suppress appetite. other than that - I'm lost :)
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    I dunno. That seems really weird, I'm ALWAYS starving after intense cardio. Not always right after, but soon after. lol
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Personally I find I tend to eat less in the summer, maybe a warm weather thing? It may also be the result of adaptation - your fitness may have improved to the point where you're burning fewer calories during the run. Are you running at pretty much the same pace?
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Running completely stops my hunger on the day of the run, but I'm always starving the day after. Is this the case?
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    why is suppressed hunger an issue?
  • muzmacol
    muzmacol Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    yeah happens alot. Not sure why, tends to come on to me couple of hours later.
  • Michele7091
    Michele7091 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I am less hungry on days that I run. I have to force myself to eat sometimes.
  • DG_Allen
    DG_Allen Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I ran 5 miles on an empty stomach Sunday and then ordered breakfast at the restaurant I ran to. But you know, I wasn't really hungry and I didn't eat it all.

I think you're not alone.
  • dellafiora3395
    dellafiora3395 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Not feeling as hungry is an issue for me because I only really eat when I actually feel hungry, otherwise I get sick trying to shove food down my throat.

I think it might possibly have something to do with the heat and the laziness of summer. I've gotten my splits a bit faster, but nothing too drastic.

My mother gets all concerned when I don't eat as much after my runs, but I just wanted to come on here and see if other people have noticed the same!
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Happens to me too, after weight lifting as well. I'm gonna go with the adrenaline thing.
  • InTheInbetween
    InTheInbetween Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Yep happen's to me too. I'm usually not hungry for a few hours after I run. I love it lol!
  • CycleFlow
    CycleFlow Posts: 55
    Options
    Very similar for me, especially if I run later in the day when my body has sufficient fuel to burn. In that case it isnt until the next day when EPOC has taken effect that I get really hungry.

If I run early in the morning I tend to eat a little more like normal throughout the day, evenly making up calories.

I would say its normal. Try varying the time that you run and see how it effects your body and apetite. If you are in tune enough to eat when you are hungry, try something light and easy to refuel after your run to make sure your not going to crash later, and then when you (or your tummy) feels motivated eat something more filling and balanced.

:D
  • kylTKe
    kylTKe Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people who get like that. They can't eat during a run and have a lowered appetite afterwards. Personally I'm not like that, I feel hungry and can eat during as well as after a run with no problems. It seems to me like it really just depends on the person. One of my favorite running stories is about Dean Karnazes balancing a whole pizza (hawaiian), cheesecake, and thermos full of coffee with one hand and eating with the other (while running).

I could also imagine that the summer heat (especially running in it) could cause you to have a lessened appetite.
  • fitchudel
    Options
    Late to this post but I have noticed that after a run, I am not hungry but after a bike ride, I am famished. Go figure!
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Running completely stops my hunger on the day of the run, but I'm always starving the day after. Is this the case?

Same for me. I end up really under calories on my run day but the next day it balances out.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    weird, after a run I'm usually very hungry. so I usually have an extra huge salad with walden farms ) calorie dressing.
  • _Calypso_
    _Calypso_ Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    The first 2hrs after a long run I'm not hungry either. I can go about 4-5hrs w/out eating after a long run...but I don't. I make myself eat about 2.5hrs after my run - but it seems to open Pandoras box and I'm usually starving by lunch!!
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I can be starving before a run, and by the time i finish it, dont feel hungry at all. I eat anyway though!
  • rachael726
    rachael726 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    This I think (I'm not a doctor), is completely normal. I have experienced this as well. I usually get hungry 3-4 hours later..then I eats all the food..NOM NOM NOM lol
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    After my runs I'm not starving either, but I am extremely tired and lethargic so I know I need to eat, and once I do... it's on.