Vitamin Suppliments

Options
So I'm doing a low-carb diet(trying for under 50g per day) and I've noticed through my tracking that some of my vitamins are only met for 25% of daily values, and I was wondering, do pills work to make up this deficit?

I ask because I know for some things, pills can just make expensive urine, IE the body doesn't absorb the pills.

Is it worth it to take a multivitamin suppliment during my diet to make up for the lack of some vitamins I'm not getting or should I just try to cram more vitamin friendly foods into the diet at the risk of upping my carb limit?

Replies

• myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    It depends. If your intended outcome is to experiment with a low-carb diet to see if it's right for you, or to use it in the short term for a quicker loss, then you can use supplements to make up the difference. Goodness knows most of us are far from perfect in terms of vitamins and minerals, so if a supplement isn't perfectly effective it'll at least move you in the right direction, and you can get them pretty inexpensively.

If your intended outcome is to convert to a permanent low-carb diet, you're going to have to either accept the vitamins as a permanent part of your diet, which is up to you, or find dietary sources for your nutrients.
  • TheSageMage
    Options
    Thank you. I was just wondering if the effect of the vitamins are actually as they say, since they are usually never FDA backed, I wanted to make sure that it was something that would be absorbed and actually provide nutrients to my body vs just something that will by digested and never absorbed.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I puzzle about this too - I find it impossible to get enough calcium from dietary sources, so I supplement, but I do wonder about absorption...
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    most minerals and vitamins are readily absorbed, you can check out individual compounds if you think there are issues - what were you short of ?
  • chelseyjoan
    chelseyjoan Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I did a low carb diet and I was taking multiple pills.
    First thing in the morning was, 2 Vitamen C tablets, 1 Vitamen D tablet
    Breakfast was, centrum women multivitamen, probiotic capsule and omega3 fishoil soft gel
    Lunch was, 2 calcium tablets, another probiotic, and another omega3 fishoil soft gel
    Then finally with dinner was, another probiotic and another omega3 fish oil soft gel

I have stopped the low carb, still trying to eat healthy but I am continuing to take all of the vitamen suppliments as well.

You are right it is costly though, cost about $200 to buy all of it, but I do feel better..

Good luck!
  • utahgirl247
    utahgirl247 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    my nutritionist taught me this test:

This test simulates stomach acidity, and you can do it at home on any supplement you currently have to see it’s availability. Take white vinegar and water and mix it 50/50. Get several small glass containers and put some in each one. Then drop your supplements in (one in each glass) and set a timer for 30-60 min. You will be amazed to find out that many supplements simply will not break down very quickly. Some take weeks!!! Yes, I said weeks!
  • utahgirl247
    utahgirl247 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    so if you see proper breakdown in your vitamin supplement then it is probably a good one. hope this helps.
  • Dhemeyer
    Dhemeyer Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I"m typically a girl who likes to get all the needed benefits of food from eating "real foods". However, I must admit that I'm constanty my macro nutrients around to keep my body guessing and my metabolism running so at any given time I might be struggling to get all the nutrients/vitamins/minerals in that I need. Additionally, I'm typically training hard either for a half marathon or other intense fitness programs (I'm currently doing Insanity). So I'm also always looking for extra protein sources. So I've been drinking Shakeology because it provides a source of protein (17g) and all the benefits of a multi-vitamin, and can be used as a full meal replacement.
    It's not for everyone... but it's worth passing on :)

Good luck and best wishes!
  • judyshin1220
    Options
    Hi there, I always take a multi in the mornings. If it helps, your body only absorbs about 1% of tablet vitamins. So, if you want your body to absorb more of the vitamin, you should generally go for: liquid>capsules>tablets.
  • bigbrownbear123
    Options
    Hi there, I always take a multi in the mornings. If it helps, your body only absorbs about 1% of tablet vitamins. So, if you want your body to absorb more of the vitamin, you should generally go for: liquid>capsules>tablets.

Really? 1%? I have never heard that before. Do you have a link for where you read that?
  • judyshin1220
    Options
    I learned it in my class from my pathophysiology teacher. I'll try and find a link.

Another way you can see how well your body absorbs the tablet/capsule is by placing it in water. After a few hours, if it has dissolved, then you know it is getting in your body and your bloodstream.