The 3:30 Feeling at work

Options
Hey guys, im not sure if it is just me, but after lunch around 2-3:30 I feel just worn out, almost as if the day is creeping by and I could fall asleep at the computer any minute. I know that we get tired after we eat, but I did not think it should make me this tired. Are there any foods for lunch that can boost my energy while counting the clock waiting to go home?

Replies

• carleyloses50
    Options
    I am equally interested in this. I literally cannot function at about 2:30-4:30
  • twinmom14ek
    twinmom14ek Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Looking forward to seeing suggestions--my default solution is a 20 oz. bottle of diet mt. dew at 2:30. Low-calorie, but definitely not healthy...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'd try something with carbs and protein. Carbs for the sugar rush and protein to slow it down and make it last. Maybe some fruit and nuts, or a high protein granola bar, some trail mix, or something along those lines.
  • bserwack
    bserwack Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same problem. I have started drinking Costco's Matcha green tea, healthy & has some caffeine. Although it's always the last thing I want to do, a quick walk around the office helps a bit.

I hate how my body gets so sleepy in the late afternoon because I lose all motivation to hit the gym after work.
  • alienrite
    alienrite Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    If I keep my sugar (simply sugars) low at lunch and drink enough water, I am able to avoid most of the 3:30 crash. I have been paying attention to how my afternoon goes versus my lunch choices and I found some pretty consistent impact. First thing I cut out was Chinese food for lunch which guarantees a bad afternoon.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I saved a portion of my lunch every day for a while and just ate it then. Finally, I decided that I'm a grazer. So my bag lunch that I bring in every day is split into portions. I have a complex-carb-and-protein breakfast (refrigerator oatmeal, oatmeal and an egg, something like that), then around 11:00 the lunch bag opens and the snacking begins.

I remember the 2:30PM doldrums, and the only thing I can say definitively is that an empty sugar snack is the wrong answer for me - it just blows a couple hundred calories at at 2:45 I'm hungies again! But that second half of my turkey wrap can get me to 3:30, then the apple and handful of almonds, and I'm good to go until supper.
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    caffeine. lots of it. lol.
  • mommasox
    mommasox Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, im not sure if it is just me, but after lunch around 2-3:30 I feel just worn out, almost as if the day is creeping by and I could fall asleep at the computer any minute. I know that we get tired after we eat, but I did not think it should make me this tired. Are there any foods for lunch that can boost my energy while counting the clock waiting to go home?

I would like to know about this as well. Sometimes at 2:30ish I get so tired I can barely keep my eyes open.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Nuts! Pistachios, trail mix, and raisins!
  • rachicago
    rachicago Posts: 2
    Options
    I find it all depends on what I had for lunch. Big, high-carb lunch or small, low-protein lunch, I definitely crash. Do you notice that you're more or less tired when you've had a filling, but clean lunch? Fruits, veggies, lean protein?
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Another change I made was to start tracking carbs, protein, and fats. I found that my carbs were too high, and my proteins were too low. By eliminating one single piece of fruit and replacing it with more lean meat in my sandwich, my calories were suddenly feeding me properly and I was a lot less hungry.
  • spartangirl79
    spartangirl79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Keep carbs low so if you're sensitive to them, you don't have a blood sugar crash (even if I have them w/protein, I still get that crash). Not talking about carbs from veggies, but rice or bread. If I have too much of that, night night.
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    This is a sign of carb addiction and insulin resistance.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to start working out first thing in the AM. I switched my workouts to 4:30 AM some time back, the very first thing every morning, and I have not had the 3PM crash since that time. I do my run or cardio on the elliptical first thing every weekday morning, and it revs me up for the entire day! :)
  • elfinsnow
    elfinsnow Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have a high protein snack 2:30 to 3:00 ish. Nuts, cottage cheese, cheese, greek yogurt, something along those lines.
  • virginia65us
    virginia65us Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I find that on days I take a walk during lunch (generally 30+ minutes, but shorter would probably work too) I don't get the sleepy feeling and cravings mid-afternoon.
  • greentiffanie
    greentiffanie Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Walking or doing some light exercise during lunch helps me stay energized too, that or a cup of tea in the afternoon, zero calories and it has some caffeine to keep me going.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    This is a sign of carb addiction and insulin resistance.

Or not getting enough water, or not getting enough sleep, or not eating enough calories at lunch, or several other things including boredom with work.
  • jetabear10
    jetabear10 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    This used to happen to me all the time. I did a sleep study and it was determined that my night time sleep patterns were off and that I suffered from Atypical Narcolepsy and Restless Legs Syndrome.

Translation: always tired.

With my medication figured out (took about 6 months) I now no longer fall asleep anywhere but especially at my computer during work. (which is a good thing) lol

Might want to be something you look into.

Before sending me to the sleep clinic, I had my blood work done to rule out thyroid and anemia.

Cheers and good luck!
  • prairiems
    prairiems Posts: 1
    Options
    I agree that it's related to carb intake. If I have toast or cereal for breakfast and then a sandwich for lunch, I'm beat by 2:30 or 3, not to mention HUNGRY. My suggestion is to try to limit bread and eat protein and veggies. If you are shot at 3:00, don't load up on caffiene, try something with both protein and carbs like trail mix or even peanut M&Ms.