Low Cal Pasta or Rice Product?

Options
fabandfunat51
fabandfunat51 Posts: 117 Member
I am not a big pasta or rice eater because of the high calorie count, but get cravings occasionally. (THAT DARN FOOD NETWORK!) :sad: I know its fine to have some once in a while, however it kills me to spend 220+ calories on a cup of the stuff. Anyone have any type of substitution that has the same texture/taste as pasta or rice? I know spagetti squash is great (I actually LOVE it!) but its not he same.

Thanks!

Replies

• weightlossloser13
    Options
    I actually know of a GREAT substitute! Cauliflower!

You put fresh cauliflower into a food blender and puree till it is about the consistency of rice, and then microwave it in a covered dish. Cauliflower has enough of its own moisture that it will just get nice and fluffy like rice is! :smile:
  • karrielynn80
    karrielynn80 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Speghetti Squash... it's amazing!!! I love it. & use it in speghetti dishes, lasagna dishes now. It is a lil wetter, than actual pasta and some say a bit sweeter, but i can't taste that (or don't mind it maybe)...

Also, can't you get like "rice" pastas & Gluten free for lower carb counts???
  • fabandfunat51
    Options
    Thanks guys! I will try the cauliflower for sure. I've searched for low carb / glutten products - high in calorie though. I'll keep on searching. Thanks!
  • karrielynn80
    karrielynn80 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    OH, i've also pureed it, and it makes a very nice (mashed potato like) paste. I'm thinking of using it to make like fritters... is that what they are called... pureeing it, adding some cheese & other ingredients & doing like a small pancake... does that make sense?

I use pureed cauliflower + egg white as pizza crust & would love to try it as some kind of desert crust by adding sweetener ... but that's another for my "wish list"
  • fabandfunat51
    Options
    You know what? That sounds really good! thanks.