Guys ... your thoughts on women & abs?

I know this is something that probably just depends on individual "taste", but I saw on the message boards a few weeks back where a guy stated that "Men don't like women with ab muscles, they look better with no definition. Abs are for the guys." Is this true for most guys? I know my husband used to say that he didn't care about ab muscles, but since I've worked hard to finally get some, he thinks they're awesome! And I think I speak for a LOT of women when I say that our abdominal area is a "trouble zone" and something we are constantly working hard to tighten/tone/shrink. I also don't think abs are just for men!! They're hot on women, too! :-p Just curious what everyone's thoughts were.

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Huh...never heard that one. I can't imagine why a man wouldn't like a nicely defined midsection.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    "Other people's opinions of me are none of my business."

But I like them and my husband likes them.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    My husband likes my tummy, I'm proud of it, and that's all that matters to me. :)
  • mrsRhughes
    mrsRhughes Posts: 122
    I know it's all an opinion thing, but I was just curious because I'd never heard someone say that abs were "just for guys" before! lol
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Hot
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Whoever the guy is that doesn't like ab muscles- must be the same guy that thinks cheese is unhealthy and tells women they're going to get bulky by lifting weights.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    To each their own.

For me... Insatiable.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    I love my baby abs and so does my boyfriend.

I have to say that he used to say the same thing ( abs are better on guys) until he saw mine lol
  • thebaconbeast
    thebaconbeast Posts: 560 Member
    It's sexy on women :smokin:
  • lixnig
    lixnig Posts: 4
    I personally do not prefer well defined abs, but it also doesn't bother me either.
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    All I know is that my hubby loves my tummy now and tells me that quite often.

Also, almost all of my male MFP friends have commented to me that it's my best feature.

I'm thinking most guys are okay with it from what I can tell.

And even if they don't, who cares, it's my body and not theirs, right? :laugh:
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    My husband and I both think my belly is HOT, and that's all that matters to me.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    nothing sexier.. speaks volumes about a womans efforts to take pride and care of them selves, displays confidence and strength. Again, nothing sexier...
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    I know I'm not a guy, but I find them hot on both sexes!

My boyfriend is indifferent about them. You could have them or not have them and he wouldn't care.
  • BriaMc
    BriaMc Posts: 177 Member
    I have read SO many things on here where both men AND woman bash the abs on a woman. Though i am not a man, i love defined abs but not super intense completely separated abs. My husband Loves a good set of abs (the kind i halfA$$ described) and most of the men i know say the same!
  • halejr23
    halejr23 Posts: 294
    Totally disagree. Luv abs on a woman.
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    It is indeed a personal taste thing. I think it might be an age thing too. For me (mid 40s), I think anyone who has abs should be commended for their hard work and fitness.

But if we are talking strictly physical attraction, I prefer women who are fit and active, but a bit smooth with some curves. A modern example that comes quickly to mind is Scarlett Johanson and how she looked in "Lost in Translation".

Although cut, chiseled muscles are a sure sign of fitness, athleticism and health, I personally find them too masculine on women - I think women can be healthy, fit athletic and strong without sacrificing the natural beauty of their body curves and lines.
  • kierstin1976
    kierstin1976 Posts: 123 Member
    I'm straight but I think women look better with abs instead of possibly being "skinny fat".
  • My boyfriend doesn't want me to have abs because he thinks/says "girls should be soft."

I plan on developing said abs, and he can take them or leave them. :laugh:
  • Whatever makes you feel good about yourself! As long as they're not too big and bulging out like Arnie, they look good!