My little plateau

Options
Hit my first plateau on the LCHF diet. Anyone want to be of help and tell me where i'm going wrong? my diet diary is public. I'm in week 5 now :) (be brutal)

Replies

• deevatude
    deevatude Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    do u know ur bmr?

if so, ur not supposed to eat below it
  • sweetiecorn
    sweetiecorn Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    apparently 1400 when I used the tool on this site. I think it's ok to go slightly lower one day if you are slightly over a day before or after?
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    How long have you been plataued? I went through 5 of them each lasting 7-10 days. Then suddenly I'd lose 2-3 lbs in 2 days. I think I was losing fat all along, it was other things weighing me down (water retention, constipation, etc).

However, after looking at your diary, I'd up the exercise to at least 600 cals and eat back at least 1/2 of them. increasing consumption and exercise at the same time should boost your metabolism.

I'd also make lunch and dinner a little lighter and spread those cals out over 2 snacks in the morning and afternoon. I eat all day, but in small amounts.
  • kewwldude84
    Options
    Looking at your diet, I would say you have been pretty much below your target calorie intake almost everyday. So that is good and is worth appreciating, keep doing what you are doing there but I have noticed that you are exercising very less or almost not at all in days so no wonder you have hit a plateau there. Any diet with no or very less exercise can only get you thus far. Your body is adapting or has pretty much adapted to your low caloric intake.

I would suggest to start exercising at least 20 minutes or min. 200-250 Calories every day and gradually increase week by week as your stamina increases and to shock your body once a week consume 400-500 calories, with/without moderate carbs, more than your calorie need but thats your choice. Hope it helps...
  • Giniac
    Giniac Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    "I'd also make lunch and dinner a little lighter and spread those cals out over 2 snacks in the morning and afternoon. I eat all day, but in small amounts."

Timings of eating is irrelevant to the body. Food is food at the end of the day. :)

On Topic:

Have you thought about swapping the Avocado for another fruit and a lower fat cheese? This may help. :)
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    For sure, steady and lasting weight loss, metabolism is key. We need to keep it rev'd up to burn fat.
    Sometimes, we seem to be doing everything right, then hit the dreaded "plateau" where the body has reached a state of equilibrium. So, how do we punch through?
    You change up your whole program to keep your body guessing. That works as a proactive measure, yet in most cases people experiencing a plateau have overreached and are not eating enough.
    Here is a great article on breaking through.
    http://fitnesswithnatalie.blogspot.com/2011/05/most-dreaded-word-in-weight-loss.html
    Good Luck
    All Is Possible!
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    "I'd also make lunch and dinner a little lighter and spread those cals out over 2 snacks in the morning and afternoon. I eat all day, but in small amounts."

Timings of eating is irrelevant to the body. Food is food at the end of the day. :)

Never said it did, this recommendation was more from a comfort level more than anything else.
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    Lovely horse on your profile pic!!!

Low carbs and high fats are great, as are lots of proteins aka atkins, but not a long term solution, a great mix of all needs to come in eventually

Maybe try a high carb day and then go back to your plan?

You may find that you put a little bit of weight on after the carb `feed day`

then you should start to move again
  • kewwldude84
    Options
    "You may find that you put a little bit of weight on after the carb `feed day".

@mermx, No, I don't think so, because to gain at least a pound in weight she has to eat 3500 calories more than her maintenance caloric intake. One re-feed day with 500 to a 1000 more calories would not do any harm other than speeding the metabolism rate in my opinion.
  • kierstin1976
    kierstin1976 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    You are getting very little fiber. Add some flax to your diet.
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    "You may find that you put a little bit of weight on after the carb `feed day".

@mermx, No, I don't think so, because to gain at least a pound in weight she has to eat 3500 calories more than her maintenance caloric intake. One re-feed day with 500 to a 1000 more calories would not do any harm other than speeding the metabolism rate in my opinion.

hmmm never said she would put a 1lb of weight on lol!!!

And yes 3500 cals is 1lb of weight.

The OP may put on some water weight from a carb re feed day which may help in the overall get off the plateau thing :-)
  • sweetiecorn
    Options
    Woah thanks everyone didn't see these replies!

The last two weeks I have had verrrry little exercise as been on holiday but now I'm back and horse-riding almost every day so thats something I guess.

I don't know if I could sacrifice my beloved avocado- they are my ultimate fave :/ with feta cheese I'm in heaven!

as for fibre yes, I know, I bought flax but so far I've been "going" pretty regularly so didn't think it was needed yet?

as for a carb feed day I have heard this, but no way do I want to put myself through the emotions of eating carb rich foods (which I have worked so so so hard at not touching) unless I have a tomato day. They are about the carbiest things I have eaten since starting the diet 34 days ago today (and counting)
  • sweetiecorn
    Options
    PS keep trying hard not to be below my calorie target as I know that can also be detrimental to weight loss
  • kgotschall
    kgotschall Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am exactly where you are in your plan...only I am way older and way heavier. Thanks for the post as I have gained great prespective from the responses! thanks again for the post!