Losing weight but not inches... is this normal?

Options
I posted a blog post with before and after pictures... I can't see the difference, but I've lost weight. I'm still wearing the same clothes, and nothing seems to be changing.
I was just wondering if I'm doing something wrong with my eating, or my exercising.

Replies

• Dhemeyer
    Dhemeyer Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Hhhmmm... this is curious, but not terribly uncommon. I can imagine this is terribly frustrating, but hang in there! I will get easier :)
    Here are just a few thoughts!
    First of all, i wonder if perhaps you aren't measuring consistantly in the same spot. This is particularly possible if you are measuring yourself with out any help. It's tricky getting that measuring tape in just the right places. Also, sometimes we have to look for the changes in places we aren't measuring. For instance, I first noticed changes in my ankles, face, neck, and creases of my arms... all places I wasn't measuring.

Perhaps you have some water retention. If you're not already, drink at least 80oz a day of water.

I'm not sure what your exercise it... but if you're like most women you are likely doing a primarily cardio based program and neglecting the weight/resistance training. I would highly recommend that you add a bit of resistance or weight training to see if you can begin to tone up (which would tanslate into lost inches). About a year ago I was running like crazy and while I would lose weight I always looked soft in the middle and my clothing size never changed. I then started Turbo Fire (primarily cardio with some resistance training), followed by P90X (weight training with some cardio) and have found the although my weight has changed much between the two programs the inches contiue to decrease. I really believe the weight training have made the largest difference in how I look and how my clothes fit.
    Please feel free to post or message me with more questions.
    I hope this was helpful and best wishes!
  • Twiztedbeing
    Twiztedbeing Posts: 389
    Options
    agree!
  • SairahRose
    SairahRose Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I was doing Ripped in 30. Although I only ever got to week 3 before having to stop and start due to outside factors. Now it is just cardio due to illness.
    I doubt it's water retention - I drink between 1 and 1.5 ltrs a day.

I did think it might be my macros - I'm just counting the cals instead of lowering the carbs and increasing protein.
  • bigbrownbear123
    Options
    Drinking 1.5 litres of water a day is still enough to make some degree of water retention possible.

How far are you into your programme?
  • SairahRose
    Options
    3 months, 33lb lost. I can see a change in my face.. but I was so sure that before my baby was born, I'd lost weight and inches a lot quicker that time round.
    Then I put all the weight back on in pregnancy, and I just thought it'd happen the same way (although I did 30 Day Shred then instead).
  • cara4art
    cara4art Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Depends on how much weight you have to lose. For those who are just starting from a much higher weight, it might take losing as much as 20 pounds before a pants size drop is noticed. As one has less to lose, the size drop will come with fewer pounds lost. For someone with just a few pounds to lose, a size drop is possible with just 5-7 pounds - that's usually when they're close to goal weight.
    Someone else was right here about doing weight training too - this will help you maintain, or build(depending on how hard one is working)lean muscle mass which of course is what makes one firm and shapely. That firm and shapely body is just waiting to emerge with good work and keeping up on the diet detail. Might want to shift your carbs around too - less starchy ones and more vegetable ones. Unless one really has a blood sugar problem and is totally inactive, no need to totally give up carbs. Just make 'em good ones, portion-controlled(especially for the starchy ones). As far as starchy carbs, make 'em unrefined, as in whole grains, sprouted grain bread/muffins/tortillas(Food4Life makes a great line) sweet potatoes, squash. Lots of yummy ways to prepare these! Reason I mention shifting type of carbs(and I hope you're eating sufficient lean protein and some healthy fat)is that diet along with weight-training is important in re-composing one's body so that one will become leaner and tighter over time as gains muscle and loses fat. It DOES take time, especially for women.
  • SairahRose
    Options
    Yeah, I've got a fair bit to lose. Guess I'm worrying for nothing :P
    Lower the carbs a bit - or at least 'better' carbs does seem to be the way forward, and it's the only thing I'm not particularly good with.

Thank you :D