Is this ok?

leighoconnell
leighoconnell Posts: 217
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Ok so I am on medication that packs quite the calories....so I eat about 700-900 calories a day in food and the rest of the calories come from my blood thinners. Is this ok or should I eat 1200 calories a day plus tack on the 500 calories from the meds. I am only supposed to consume 1200 calories a day.

Replies

• KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Maybe split the difference and eat 1,000 cals? I think it is also important to ensure that whatever you do eat provides you with all the vitamins and nutrients you need. That may be difficult if you only eat 700 cals.

Is the medication temporary? Are the calories in the meds from sugar? Do you exercise? If not, are you able to? Personally when I am sick I try to eat a little extra (healthy though) to help my body battle whatever it is that I have. But since these are blood thinners, I'm not sure if that applies.

Good question. I'm interested in hearing everyone's responses.
  • erikazj
    erikazj Posts: 2,365 Member
    I think this is probably something you need to talk about with your doctor. He'll know whether you can get enough nutrition from 700 calories + your meds or not. It could be that you’ll have to have a smaller deficit so you can eat more, and lose the weight more slowly.

Talk to your doc!

All the best,

Erika
  • sandra400
    sandra400 Posts: 51 Member
    i would talk to my dr but in the mean time i would eat a least a 1000 caleries a day. too low caleries is as bad as too many:flowerforyou:
  • Xannthippe
    Xannthippe Posts: 126 Member
    You've peaked my curiosity, what meds are you taking that are that high in calories? Whatever calories they may be, they certainly aren't nutritious or anything much more that "fillers"?
  • You've peaked my curiosity, what meds are you taking that are that high in calories? Whatever calories they may be, they certainly aren't nutritious or anything much more that "fillers"?

Im on Coumadin and its notorious for adding 40-65 lbs on over the course of six months because of its calorie load and side affects. And unfortunately I have to be on it for 6 months because I have clots in my lungs and legs from surgery (which also currently prevent exercise)
  • Xannthippe
    Xannthippe Posts: 126 Member
    You've peaked my curiosity, what meds are you taking that are that high in calories? Whatever calories they may be, they certainly aren't nutritious or anything much more that "fillers"?

Im on Coumadin and its notorious for adding 40-65 lbs on over the course of six months because of its calorie load and side affects. And unfortunately I have to be on it for 6 months because I have clots in my lungs and legs from surgery (which also currently prevent exercise)

Hmmm, well that stinks all the way around. :frown: :frown: :frown:
  • I'm sorry girl, that really stinks. Are you able to speak witha nutritionist? They may be able to come up with a good meal plan for you so you get all your nutrients, but not the extra calories. I will talk to some people I know, and try to help you come up with a nutritious meal plan if you like.
  • Thanks everyone. I'm going with 1000 calories a day plus the meds.
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member

Hmmm, well that stinks all the way around. :frown: :frown: :frown:
    My grandmother was on Coumadin and she lost lots of weight. You might want to check w/your doctor again about this. Sorry it's having this affect on you. Good luck to you.
This discussion has been closed.