Best workout videos for beginners

Options
jkandktmom
jkandktmom Posts: 1,010 Member
Now that I am in a little better shape I am ready to add to my walking regimine. It is really hot in the midwest this summer so outside activities are out. I also don't belong to a gym- yet.

So.... What are the best workout videos out there for beginners?

Replies

• obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I started with zumba, still what I do for cardio mostly.
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I started on the 30 Day Shred, and I loved it. Currently doing Ripped in 30, which is a similar structure, but slightly more difficult. For both DVDs (by Jillian Michaels), all you need is a set of hand-weights (2-5lbs) and a mat if you're working out on a hard surface. I think Ripped in 30 has the benefit of coming with a diet plan.
  • 2Sandy
    2Sandy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am doing Jillian Michaels Yoga Meltdown ... she is awesome. There are different levels on her video and at each level there are 2 other ladies doing same exercise but one easier and the other the harder way to do it.
  • bwdcjk
    bwdcjk Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Any of the Leslie Sandstone "Walking Away the Pounds" are good. They use 2 or 3 lbs weights or stretchy bands for a few mins too which is nice. I am doing her Walk & Fit right now and love it. It's 4 miles in an hour - fast, fast, fast - but it feels good. The last mile uses stretchy bands too. I love Debbie Siebers (or Sievers) Slim in 6. It's 3 levels you move thru over 6 weeks but the 3rd level is really tough so I stay at the beginning and intermediate levels as long as I want - 'til I feel comfortable. I can do level 3 but since I can do level 2 better - I just started adding light weights while I do it.
  • cindybickler
    cindybickler Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    turbo jam is a lot of fun and the music is great!
  • TaintedVampyre
    TaintedVampyre Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna say if you find a video that interests you, do it! Just modify it to your comfort level but don't get too comfortable! Good luck :)
  • yallcallmedeb
    Options
    I think that the best workout videos for beginners is Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds. There are 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 mile variations. The moves are basic and the videos are easy to follow.

I like the Jillian Michaels workouts but they are tough, even at level 1.
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    i did rippped in 30 as my first time working out (ever) and felt like such a badass when it finished lol. i think its a good starting point.
  • Dhellia
    Dhellia Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I've been doing a lot of Turbo Jam lately. I used to do the Jillian Michaels Burn Fat, Boost Metablolism which is a great workout but kindof hard on my knees.
  • noiva
    noiva Posts: 94
    Options
    I know it sounds weird, but Richard Simmons Sweatin' to the Oldies. It's harder than it looks for an out of shape beginner. Also, YouTube has some great beginners yoga classes on there. These are my favorites: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o0kNeOyH98&feature=plcp and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTicuDqMuq8
  • HopefulLeigh
    HopefulLeigh Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    If you have any sort of coordination, Zumba for Beginners is a great one. It seems simple enough but you surely feel it after you're done.
  • mindyalbert
    mindyalbert Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters who mentioned Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds. When I first set out to lose weight I was over 200 pounds, and I started with those tapes and kept working up to the next level. It was easy to stick with. After that I joined Jazzercise and really enjoyed it as well.
  • mkbledsoe
    mkbledsoe Posts: 132
    Options
    go to collagevideo.com. It is all workout videos. You can watch clips, they are rated and people give reviews. Makes it pretty easy to choose.
  • ashreynolds09
    ashreynolds09 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    turbo jam is a lot of fun and the music is great!

this!
  • konalove3
    konalove3 Posts: 79
    Options
    Jillian Michaels. I hear great things about practically all of them. I'm personally doing 30 Day Shred and I love it. I plan on going right into Ripped in 30 after. Just do the moves to the best of your ability (don't have to be perfect!!) and you will improve and definitely see results and just feel so great if you stick with it! also its only around $10 or less depending on where you buy it from!
  • khubbard1207
    khubbard1207 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Any of the Leslie Sandstone "Walking Away the Pounds" are good. They use 2 or 3 lbs weights or stretchy bands for a few mins too which is nice. I am doing her Walk & Fit right now and love it. It's 4 miles in an hour - fast, fast, fast - but it feels good. The last mile uses stretchy bands too. I love Debbie Siebers (or Sievers) Slim in 6. It's 3 levels you move thru over 6 weeks but the 3rd level is really tough so I stay at the beginning and intermediate levels as long as I want - 'til I feel comfortable. I can do level 3 but since I can do level 2 better - I just started adding light weights while I do it.

I second the Leslie Sansone walking videos. I have several of them and some others as well. I love the Leslie ones because they are easy, do not require me to jump around, and I don't feel like passing out at the end. Its a great way to start if you are like me and had no experience with exercise to begin with.
  • sueannerojas
    Options
    I also think leslie Sansone is awesome!!Im doing her (walk at home video)i love it!
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on your fitness level. True beginner, go for Biggest Loser, Richard Simmons (LOVE) or Leslie Sansone. Intermediate, Jillian Michaels 30DS (which I HATED), Zumba (which I LOVE!). Intermediate/Advanced, think Insanity, P90X, X-Factor. The hardest thing is finding one you like that you can hang with for the duration.
  • kristi321
    kristi321 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Yep, Leslie Sansone is great for beginning exercise. Some of the others mentioned might be a little intimidating at first. Leslie is very upbeat and positive for all ages and abilities. In time you will likely need something more challenging, but at first she is the best in my opinion.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    30 day shred has been great for me so far. (:
    I'm on day 7 and down 9 pounds! I'd really recommend it.
    I hadn't worked out before I started it.