How hard is it to start running?

Hi Ive 61lbs left to lose I do walking and zumba I would like to run but know it will be hard any tips?

Replies

• mhuch110
    mhuch110 Posts: 130 Member
    I just started running for the first time....I couldn't even run a mile in high school! Try the C25K (couch to 5K program). It is amazing and will have you running in no time! Get fitted for a good pair of running shoes too! Good luck!
  • sandown12
    sandown12 Posts: 648 Member
    I just started running for the first time....I couldn't even run a mile in high school! Try the C25K (couch to 5K program). It is amazing and will have you running in no time! Get fitted for a good pair of running shoes too! Good luck!

Thanks was looking at that I think Ill try ;) x
  • kaatielove
    kaatielove Posts: 113
    Definately go to a shoe store & get fitted for running shoes. They make a huge difference! & yes, the C25K program WORKS! :) Goodluck!
  • cindybickler
    cindybickler Posts: 113 Member
    try couch to 5K. i know some people that have tried it and have had success. if you have been doing a lot of cardio you may be surprised to see how far you can run. i just started running in feb. and run about 80 miles a month now. love it! also get fitted for a pair of running shoes. That by far is the best advice you will get from everyone. i own a brand of running shoe i never heard of before and i can run in them ALL day. but i could never do that with the shoes i use for turbofire!
  • kaylarachellee
    kaylarachellee Posts: 201 Member
    Definately go to a shoe store & get fitted for running shoes. They make a huge difference! & yes, the C25K program WORKS! :) Goodluck!

Yes good running shoes, make sure you are comfortable! Good luck girl!
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    C25K is a great way to start. I'm a firm believer that anyone (barring physical ailment) can be or become a runner. Take baby steps at first, but always be working up. This is where C25k is such a great program with increasing running intervals. Best of luck!
  • Dethea
    Dethea Posts: 247 Member
    I'm doing the Couch to 5k right now, and it's great! I second getting fitted for running shoes, makes a world of difference. Get some good clothes that you will be comfortable running in and that will stay on (I have some capris that fall off when I run).

Good luck!
  • soo_z
    soo_z Posts: 42

^^ I agree with this COMPLETELY!! I have NEVER ran... I mean, like... EVER. I was sick of feeling sick and tired so I thought I would start this program. I can now run 10 mins. straight at 6 mph without stopping, walk for 1-2 minutes, and run again for another 10-15 minutes. Trust me, this is quite a feat since I just started this program 7 weeks ago. You really have to push yourself and allow your body to adapt. The first few times I ran I gave up so easily when I started to hurt. One day I had an epiphany that I have to be uncomfortable in order for my body to get use to this new thing I was doing. I think weight training helped also to build and maintain muscles in my legs since I now feel like I can push myself even harder and farther. =]
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Get fitted for a good pair of running shoes too!

And definitely don't forget this part! The right running shoes make the world of difference when it cames to the aches and pains and injuries runners get. I got just about every running pain in the book (plantar fasciitis, sesamoiditis, shin splints) until I got the right shoes.
  • runyourbunsoff
    runyourbunsoff Posts: 7 Member
    just start small and you can do it! couch to 5k is definitely a great tool to get you started! good luck!
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Couch to 5K is a great program.

I also recommend people take a Learn to Run program thru their local running stores. In Canada, we have the Running Room which offers 10 Week Learn to Run programs which help people learn to run SAFELY and in a group.

Many of the people I have coached before continue on to participate in 10Km, Half and even Full marathons. Most people find the social interaction helps keep them motivated as most people in these groups are in the same boat.

It's easy to get started and most people have lots of fun doing it!

Welcome to the running world!
  • sandown12
    sandown12 Posts: 648 Member
    Thanks guys my partner wants to start although he used to be in the Ta x
  • FatUncleRob
    FatUncleRob Posts: 341
    I think the hardest part is sticking with it long enough to get to the point where it's fun.

The first three or four weeks of C25K can be pretty tough, but once you're through that it gets a lot better.

Good luck! :smile:
  • HeatherHoskins
    HeatherHoskins Posts: 157 Member
    Make sure you really strech before running. It realy makes a big difference when you first start out. When I first started to un I was getting real bad shin splints and couldn't make it to my goal mail boxes. Now when I run it is my cardio I am focused on not by pains.
  • Lane1012
    Lane1012 Posts: 211 Member
    echoing what's been said already but here are some suggestions:

1 - Shoes .. get the right one's for your feet.
    2 - don't overdo it, forget the time and find the right pace - HRM is a great way to measure
    3 - eat up. Running burns a lot of calories and you need to fuel your body properly
    4 - rest. You'll need it, especially starting up
    5 - listen to your body, if you tweak something make sure you are aware of it and give it time to heal
    6 - have fun and enjoy it, don't make it a laborious task.
  • casperuk
    casperuk Posts: 195 Member
    My friend has posted on his blog about this

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/pajodublin/view/running-287290
  • NewChristina
    NewChristina Posts: 250 Member
    Great question! I can barely jog. I have high arches. Severe cramping in arches and peroneus muscles from walking. Waiting on delivery of my ASICS. Keeping fingers crossed that I can get started running.
  • Hi. good luck with your running and well done with your weight loss. Has Zumba been helpful for you?? I'd like to start running too but Im a bit too self conscious to put myself out there with that at this early stage. Anyone got any tips for a person who is phone challenged?? (only have an old normal phone so no apps for me!!)
    Sorry to hijack your post but I saw it and thought this might be a good place to get advice and it seemed daft to start another one.
  • Everyone else has already said this, but c25k is amazing! When I started the program the 90 second runs had me so winded! I was running 3.5 miles pretty easily by the end.
  • zippo32
    zippo32 Posts: 1,407 Member
    ......also check out Hal Higdons' programs.............