Deadlifts and how you feel about them?

Options

Replies

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    It's pre requisite (unless they have back issues) if a member wants to become a client. Same with burpees.:laugh: :laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I love, LOVE deadlifts. But I hate burpees with a passion.

THIS!:laugh:
  • shodaimetruth
    Options
    Usually after a set of deadlifts or even attempting a new PR, I put that weight down and immediately am filled with the urge to ***** slap someone, wrestle a bear to death and then *kitten* my girlfriend atop my new bearskin rug and sire a new breed of Christophers.

I love deadlifts.

That's it? what about man handling a demi-god or conquering your subconscious through sheer will power?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I feel like a freaking beast

Exactly.

I deadlift over 100 now, and my hands get sweaty and I start to drop the damn thing, so I had to start wearing gloves. I just grabbed some work gloves out of the garage. Works like a charm.

And since I work out at home, it don't matter that I look a little bit weird in my getup-- underwear, sports bra, cheerleader ponytail, work gloves, red face, and a big dumb grin.

Try using chalk instead of gloves. It will keep your hands dry and give you a much better grip. You really want to develop that grip strength for when the weights keep getting heavier and heavier.
  • Giniac
    Giniac Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Can't beat those compound lifts!

Are you doing bent-over rows as well?
  • DaveRCF
    DaveRCF Posts: 266
    Options
    Love them, but worry about this happening!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8RcDb_wZfQ
  • shodaimetruth
    Options
    Yes bent over rows. I enjoy them a lot too. I try to make sure to do all compound lifts. the only one I do that isn't compound is bicep curls. The one I hate the most and struggle with is military press.
  • MrsBully4
    MrsBully4 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I DL 135, can't wait to get that number up.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Love these! By far, my strongest lift.
    Even better with Iron Maiden or Black Sabbath playing in the background :wink:
  • damorzacon
    damorzacon Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Love deadlifts! Just set a new PR today!!
  • jenaissance
    jenaissance Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    i'm one of those people with a pre-existing lower back problem (herniated L5/S1) and even I love 'em. I only do them with supervision from my trainer though, one small slip in form and I'm doomed.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I don't like them. Lol. But that's because I am not very good at them. I started out doing stiff legged deadlifts and I liked those but then I moved on to regular ones and for some reason I feel odd and awkward doing them. I think it's just because I'm so tall but I don't know.

Squats, however, I love.
  • TauTheBull
    TauTheBull Posts: 96
    Options
    Best exercise ever to build a strong lean body. Add in squats, rows or chin ups, bench press and over head press and thats all you need to kick some *kitten* in the gym.

I am not a fan of arm curls LOL
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Usually after a set of deadlifts or even attempting a new PR, I put that weight down and immediately am filled with the urge to ***** slap someone, wrestle a bear to death and then *kitten* my girlfriend atop my new bearskin rug and sire a new breed of Christophers.

I love deadlifts.

She is a lucky, lucky girl.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    It's pre requisite (unless they have back issues) if a member wants to become a client. Same with burpees.:laugh: :laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I love, LOVE deadlifts. But I hate burpees with a passion.

THIS!:laugh:

Me times 50000.
  • fhsjewfro
    fhsjewfro Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    My husband (who is a champion powerlifter) says that athletes train movements (deads, squats, and benchpress) while bodybuilders train muscles (think of the guy standing in front of the mirror at the gym doing 50 sets of curls every time he works out) I'd way rather have the useful strength that comes from the full body lifts! So, yes, I'm with you all the way.

you are wrong on so many levels

guess the ignorant will stay ignorant
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    With the program I'm doing now, I do stiff-legged deadlifts and single-leg Romanian deadlifts and I love them both. They've really helped shape my lower half too.
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I'd like to try them but am scared because of bad back problems which i've only recently seemed to conquer - one bad lift and i could be out of commission for quite some time. Maybe I'll ask my chiropractor about it...
  • TaraMKL
    TaraMKL Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    LOOOOVEEEEEE them. They're definitely helping the rear view. :)
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Love them, but worry about this happening!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8RcDb_wZfQ

I'm not an expert, but is that some pretty bad form, even before the he headbutted the floor?
  • jillystjohn
    Options
    I feel so strong doing deadlifts, my current PR is 250 but the lifts that really excite me are Olympic lifts. I love the feeling I get when I know my technique is perfect and the lift feels easy, even if I'm working at 87-90%.