barbeque pulled pork sandwiches?

Options
Anyone got a low cal recipe for this? I have a roast in the crock pot and my husband wants to make barbeque sandwiches out of it..HELP PLEASE

Replies

• leighoconnell
    Options
    This is an easy dish that you can prepare ahead-of-time and reheat when you are ready to serve it. Include a side of coleslaw for a complete meal.
    Prep Time: 5 minutes
    Cook Time: 55 minutes
    Ingredients:
    1 lb. pork tenderloin
    1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
    2 Tbsp brown sugar
    1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
    1 tsp worcestershire sauce
    1/8 tsp ground red pepper
    4 ciabatta rolls
    Preparation:
    1. Preheat the oven to 450°F.

2. Trim fat from the pork tenderloin, and place on a broiler pan. Bake for 30 minutes, or until no longer pink. Remove from the oven, and allow to sit for 10 minutes.

3. While the pork sits, combine the tomato sauce and the remaining four ingredients in a medium-sized saucepan. Simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes.

4. Using two forks, shred the pork tenderloin. Add the pork to the tomato sauce, and simmer for an additional 15 minutes.

5. Split the ciabatta rolls, and spoon the pork mixture evenly amoung the bottom half of each roll. Top each sandwich with the top half of each roll.

Serves 4

Per ServingCalories 287
  • cdickey
    cdickey Posts: 230
    Options
    This is an easy dish that you can prepare ahead-of-time and reheat when you are ready to serve it. Include a side of coleslaw for a complete meal.
    Prep Time: 5 minutes
    Cook Time: 55 minutes
    Ingredients:
    1 lb. pork tenderloin
    1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
    2 Tbsp brown sugar
    1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
    1 tsp worcestershire sauce
    1/8 tsp ground red pepper
    4 ciabatta rolls
    Preparation:
    1. Preheat the oven to 450°F.

2. Trim fat from the pork tenderloin, and place on a broiler pan. Bake for 30 minutes, or until no longer pink. Remove from the oven, and allow to sit for 10 minutes.

3. While the pork sits, combine the tomato sauce and the remaining four ingredients in a medium-sized saucepan. Simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes.

4. Using two forks, shred the pork tenderloin. Add the pork to the tomato sauce, and simmer for an additional 15 minutes.

5. Split the ciabatta rolls, and spoon the pork mixture evenly amoung the bottom half of each roll. Top each sandwich with the top half of each roll.

Serves 4

Per ServingCalories 287

That sounds great!
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    That's how they do it in New York City <<NEW YORK CITY!!!! :mad: :angry: :grumble: :noway: >> Tomato sauce? Really? :laugh:

You want some good barbecue?

Southern pulled pork barbecue

Meat:
    Large Pork shoulder roast (not picnic shoulder, those have a “solution” in them that makes the meat taste like ham and makes it red in color ). Roast should be the color of natural pork - grey/brown. Do not try this recipe with tenderloin as the recipe above. This is a dry heat preparation, not a crockpot recipe, and this requires a very moist/fatty piece of meat or you will have a very dry dish. Don't worry, it's light - we'll separate the fat out later.

Now the right way to prepare the meat is to put it in a real smoker with hickory for 20 hours or more, but most of us don't have the equipment soooo,,,

Place on a broiler pan or on a rack (over a pan, this will drip about a gallon) and cover with foil. Cook in 200-220 degree oven - overnight at least. The rule of thumb is “cook until you’re sure it’s done – then 2 more hours”.
    Allow meat to cool somewhat, then pull apart by hand - I use 2 forks - setting most of the fat aside. A quick chop will make it easier to put on a bun.

Finishing sauce:
    1 cup vinegar
    2 Tbs. Salt
    1 Tbs. Brown sugar
    1 tsp. cayenne pepper
    1 tsp. Red pepper flakes.
    Combine all ingredients and allow to sit at least 12 hours.

Combine pork and sauce to taste.
    Serve on cheap, soft white buns
    Top with coleslaw and/or hot sauce as desired.

I like to put just enough sauce in the serving bowl o'pork to make it taste like BBQ and not just roast pork, and also to park a bottle of the sauce on the table so folks can add more to their taste.

Cal count - about the same. 300'ish (180 for 3oz pork, 120 for the bun). Tonsa sodium in the sauce though.

Note: for best sauce flavor, make the sauce several years in advance. If you don't have several years, overnight will do. The longer the sauce sits around the better it gets IMHO.

<<Just kidding about the "New York City" thing,,, I'm sure your red substance is very nice. :wink: >>
  • sabbles
    Options
    Super Easy Crockpot Pork BBQ

boneless Pork Roast, fat removed (can also use pork tenderloin)
    one small onion, diced
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 c salsa (restuarant style)
    1 c bbq sauce (jack daniels tastes great!)
    2 tbls dijon mustard (can also use spicy)
    1 tbl hot sauce (like tabasco chipotle)

rub pork with mustard. place in crockpot on top of onions and garlic. top with bbq sauce, salsa, and hot sauce. cook on low for 7-8 hours, or on high for 4-5 hours.

when the pork is done, shred to combine with sauce. place on buns with slaw, or eat by itself.

super tasty. not very sweet. way easy!! :)
  • cmlanctot
    Options
    Tip:
    Knock 20 calories off the sandwich by using the Arnold select Sandwich thins, they're only 100 cal per roll.
  • TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Linsmom
    Options
    I love me some VA BBQ!!!
    We use ketchup in our sauce.

The Super Easy Pork BBQ in the crockpot sounds YuMmY!!!
  • RoxieFoston
    Options
    Go to Allrecipes.com. They have all the recipes to cook anything. All you have to do is type in the name of whatever you want to cook. And the reviews are included so you will have an idea of what people who tried the recipes thought. I hope that helps. I use it for anything that I want to cook:smile:
  • artichoke
    Options
    That's how they do it in New York City <<NEW YORK CITY!!!! :mad: :angry: :grumble: :noway: >> Tomato sauce? Really? :laugh:

You want some good barbecue?

Southern pulled pork barbecue

Meat:
    Large Pork shoulder roast (not picnic shoulder, those have a “solution” in them that makes the meat taste like ham and makes it red in color ). Roast should be the color of natural pork - grey/brown. Do not try this recipe with tenderloin as the recipe above. This is a dry heat preparation, not a crockpot recipe, and this requires a very moist/fatty piece of meat or you will have a very dry dish. Don't worry, it's light - we'll separate the fat out later.

Now the right way to prepare the meat is to put it in a real smoker with hickory for 20 hours or more, but most of us don't have the equipment soooo,,,

Place on a broiler pan or on a rack (over a pan, this will drip about a gallon) and cover with foil. Cook in 200-220 degree oven - overnight at least. The rule of thumb is “cook until you’re sure it’s done – then 2 more hours”.
    Allow meat to cool somewhat, then pull apart by hand - I use 2 forks - setting most of the fat aside. A quick chop will make it easier to put on a bun.

Finishing sauce:
    1 cup vinegar
    2 Tbs. Salt
    1 Tbs. Brown sugar
    1 tsp. cayenne pepper
    1 tsp. Red pepper flakes.
    Combine all ingredients and allow to sit at least 12 hours.

Combine pork and sauce to taste.
    Serve on cheap, soft white buns
    Top with coleslaw and/or hot sauce as desired.

I like to put just enough sauce in the serving bowl o'pork to make it taste like BBQ and not just roast pork, and also to park a bottle of the sauce on the table so folks can add more to their taste.

Cal count - about the same. 300'ish (180 for 3oz pork, 120 for the bun). Tonsa sodium in the sauce though.

Note: for best sauce flavor, make the sauce several years in advance. If you don't have several years, overnight will do. The longer the sauce sits around the better it gets IMHO.

<<Just kidding about the "New York City" thing,,, I'm sure your red substance is very nice. :wink: >>

CasperO - this made me laugh out loud. I've lived in NYC and Texas and I can't eat at a restaurant with pulled pork on the menu and NOT try it....such a wonderful weakness :smile: