I'm getting annoyed with constantly being told this

Options
If one eats less than what one burns, one will lose weight.

It's not always the case, in my opinion. I get the science of it, I do. But it's not the same for every single person.

Just normal daily living burns about 2,000 calories. On a diet for nearly 3 months, I was eating 1200-1500 and in that 3 months, lost 3 lbs. I have hypothyroid, it's hard for me to lose weight. Why do people seem so hellbent on the theory of weight loss, isn't it different for everyone? Because I know it is for me. Maybe I'm the only one, like ever... but I know for a fact it's different for people with thyroid issues, and diabetes in some cases too.

Replies

• hadlam83
    hadlam83 Posts: 140
    Options
    I agree it is different for everyone. Not just in weight loss but in everything somethings work well for some that doesn't work well for others!!
  • Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Yep, if I eat under 1,500 for a couple weeks all weight loss STOPS!
  • SithChicky
    SithChicky Posts: 74
    Options
    I agree it is different for everyone. Not just in weight loss but in everything somethings work well for some that doesn't work well for others!!

I totally agree! I keep getting yelled at by all these people saying it's a simple science, eat less than you burn, but it's not that easy for some people! Especially with health issues. So here I am, trying yet again, and I refuse to let my stupid health issues defeat me again.
  • hadlam83
    hadlam83 Posts: 140
    Options
    Well keep trying, don't let it get you defeated. A healthier lifestyle is most important which includes monitoring what you're eating, portion control and exercise which is what this site is great for. Good Luck :)
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    People with issues that prevent weight loss in one form or another are the vast MINORITY.

Advice given with regards to the scientific approach of weight loss (Thermodynamics) applies to the majority of people.

I don't know anyone who has said otherwise.
  • cafqueen
    cafqueen Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I agree! had my thyroid removed and on thyroid replacement and have a very difficult time losing weight. at 1200 cals a day and running 5-7km 3 days a week and doing other workouts as well, only lose maybe a pound a week if I'm lucky. MFP seems to think that I should be losing 2 lbs a week with my cals, no way!
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    People with issues that prevent weight loss in one form or another are the vast MINORITY.

Advice given with regards to the scientific approach of weight loss (Thermodynamics) applies to the majority of people.

Agreed with every word.
  • KaidaKantri
    KaidaKantri Posts: 401
    Options

It's not always the case, in my opinion. I get the science of it, I do. But it's not the same for every single person.

Just normal daily living burns about 2,000 calories. On a diet for nearly 3 months, I was eating 1200-1500 and in that 3 months, lost 3 lbs. I have hypothyroid, it's hard for me to lose weight. Why do people seem so hellbent on the theory of weight loss, isn't it different for everyone? Because I know it is for me. Maybe I'm the only one, like ever... but I know for a fact it's different for people with thyroid issues, and diabetes in some cases too.

For people with health related issues like this, the weight loss routine has to be different. HOWEVER for people without these health issues, it does work. You are right in a sense, but in the end it comes down to people who has health issues like yours, and people who doesn't have health issues that affect weight loss. For those people who have the health issues, no, the science is not going to work like it does in the other people. :/ Not being mean, trying to clear this up for you!
  • SithChicky
    Options
    I agree! had my thyroid removed and on thyroid replacement and have a very difficult time losing weight. at 1200 cals a day and running 5-7km 3 days a week and doing other workouts as well, only lose maybe a pound a week if I'm lucky. MFP seems to think that I should be losing 2 lbs a week with my cals, no way!

Yeah, I'm at 2 lbs a week now as well. My first day on the site was yesterday, so in two days, I dunno if I've lost anything, no scale at my house which is probably a good thing. My thyroid is super low and I'm on medication for it. The doctors said on the meds, it would help with weight loss and my sleep patterns, I notice no difference in either.
  • SithChicky
    Options

For people with health related issues like this, the weight loss routine has to be different. HOWEVER for people without these health issues, it does work. You are right in a sense, but in the end it comes down to people who has health issues like yours, and people who doesn't have health issues that affect weight loss. For those people who have the health issues, no, the science is not going to work like it does in the other people. :/ Not being mean, trying to clear this up for you!

that's what I'm saying. People need to understand that it doesn't work for EVERYONE. I'm sick of people saying, if you do this and this, you'll lose weight. It doesn't work like that for people like myself. I totally get the science of it, I'm just saying, it doesn't work for everyone like so many people seem to think.
  • RipperSB
    RipperSB Posts: 315 Member
    Options

Soooo... you ARE eating less than you are burning AND you are losing weight... so it is the same for you?!?!?! What's the problem?
  • cafqueen
    cafqueen Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    stick with it, it takes time! I've been at it for a while! it will happen
  • SithChicky
    Options

Soooo... you ARE eating less than you are burning AND you are losing weight... so it is the same for you?!?!?! What's the problem?

3 months of busting my butt and 3 lbs? No it's not the same for me. I should be losing way more than that if you look into the science I'm talking about. It's not the same for everyone.
  • SithChicky
    Options
    stick with it, it takes time! I've been at it for a while! it will happen

I am definitely sticking to it this time, thank you.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day the calories in vs calories out is still true. It may occur slower for you due to your condition but your weight is still just fat so your body is still getting more calories than it feels it needs to run the show. Take what medicine you need and push on. I was not born with my sister's metabolism (they can eat whatever they like and will still be 125) but that doesn't mean I can't be thin, it just means it is harder for me. Lots of people have set backs in different areas of their lives but the important thing is not to use those as reasons to do nothing. At some point you have to say "these things are not the reason I am like this, I am like this because I let myself become like this". Keep working at it. Putting down the excuses is empowering.
  • vsecret921
    vsecret921 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    my motto is: take advice but in the end DO WHAT WORKS BEST FOR YOU :)
  • cpsunseri
    cpsunseri Posts: 9
    Options
    Sometimes when people eat less than 1200 or 1500 calories a day, their bodies stop losing weight because your metabolism slows down to match what you are taking in. Restricting your calories too much can also cause you to lose muscle mass as well.

Try setting your calorie deficit at -500 calories a day and the weight loss should continue
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options

Agreed with every word.

yup
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    At day's end, that's all it ever is. Calories in vs calories burned.
    End of story.
    Your body may have this issue or that problem...blah...blah...blah...address them with your doctor or whatever.
    But the end result of any weight loss is calorie deficit.
    And that's 100% of the human population.
    Why does this bother you? It's just a fact of life. Accept it.
    Facts are stubborn things; they never change.
    Anyway, good luck with your goals as well as learning to accept simple reality.
  • territhefrog
    territhefrog Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    The people that say that same thing to me.....well....they don't have weight issues. They don't have health issues and don't know how it is for those of us with health issues. Mine is multiple sclerosis and I get fatigued easily when I work out. So for me, I have to do several small workouts a day. 5 - 10 minutes at a time. But that's just me.