Protein shakes after exercise

Options
Do they really help with preventing soreness?

I guess I'm just kind of skeptical, but I gave in and drank a shake after I did Insanity Pure Cardio. I'm hoping it's true that they really help keep you from being super sore, because that was rough!!

Replies

• Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    They help all around, because they feed the body, and that aids recovery.
    I prefer whole foods over supplements, but shakes work well in a pinch.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    No, I do not beleive that they do.
  • jenkinsjerry
    jenkinsjerry Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I think Protein helps to rebuild muscle tissue, but it does not eliminate the lactic acid that comes from strenuous muscular activity... That, "good sore" as body builders call it, is the price for admission when conducting muscular activity that hasn't been done in a while...

OTOH, Glutamine is one supplement I've found to be helpful for knee and joint pain (e.g. from running, basketball, volleyball playing). If Plyo is a big part of your exercising, glutamine might be a helpful thing to buy... I do one scoop every single day...
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I guess I don't pay attention. I have one every morning and I am never sore so maybe they do. I like them because they are quick and easy and don't have a bunch of carbs that make me feel crappy later.

I would say give them a chance and see after a week or so if you like the results.