the right and wrongs foods

Options
I currently just started my weight loss journey and have really been trying to watch my calories....I am hungry but my problem is more of the things I have always ate are high calorie i need some good low cal foods that are going to benefit me. I am not a veggie person at all and it's something i've always struggled with...my other problem is i work from home and constantly want to snack. anyone have any helpful tips/advice?

Replies

• ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    1) Get rid of all the high calorie, easy to eat foods in your house if you are a frequent snacker (I was too) - no cookies, ice cream, chips etc - its all loaded with sugar and fat and is processed food - terrible for you.
    2) Start to try making small substitutions for the unhealthy foods you love and eat too much of - for example - if you drink whole milk go to 2%, then once you get used to that go to Almond milk. Substitute Turkey and chicken for beef, once you like that try Tofu. Substitute dark chocolate for milk chocolate, substitute nuts as a snack instead of chips. Use Egg Beaters instead of real eggs - key is try it in baby steps, not all at once or you will get frustrated and fail - each week try a new substitution
    3) Add exercise into your regimen - it will allow you to eat more calories - and if you eat good calories, you will actually lose weight
    4) NO SODA OR SUGARY FRUIT DRINKS - PERIOD. This was the one thing I changed right away that made THE biggest difference - even things like orange juice are SO high in calories - its mind blowing. Stick to water, some natural juices, sparkling water, unsweetened tea and the occasional diet soda.

Good luck!
  • Vincette
    Vincette Posts: 11
    Options
    You know what stopped me snacking unhealthily? Planning to snack. I now have breakfast, 2nd breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea, a snack when I get home from work, and then dinner after my workout.

Today I'm having:

B: Special K
    B2: 1 slice of soy and linseed toast with light flora
    L: Soup
    AT: Low fat yoghurt
    S: 6 seseme crackers
    D: Lamb chop with veggies and gravy

They say you are supposed to have little and often anyway. So far it's been working for me! GL
  • brittany0322
    Options
    thanks i don'[t really eat sweets or junk it';s more the processed foods, pasta's that type of thing i eat chicken and turkey i drink 1 percent milk no chocolate no juices usually water and diet soda also lots of crystal light tea.....ive been eating alot of tuna and cottage cheese those type of things my food diary is open feel free to look it over and comment!
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Get rid of the processed crap. Lots of lean protein (fish,chicken breast, lean cuts of beef,ground turkey/chicken,eggs/egg whites/beans/yogurt/cottage cheese) Lots of veggies. Fruit once or twice a day. I also plan my meals/snacks ahead of time,keeps me from straying off course

For example today I had

Breakfast:2 hardboiled eggs and 3 strips of turkey bacon (processed but I dont have it all the time)
    Postworkout: 1/2 cup skim milk and 1 scoop whey protein powder
    Lunch: Turkey sandwich with green beans and butternut squash
    Snack: 2 cups grapes
    Dinner: Grilled pork chop, 1 cup mixed greens,homemade sweet potato fries
    Snack: Dip made from 2 ounces plain fat free greek yogurt with half a cucumber sliced
    Snack:1 apple with 2 tablespoons all natural peanut butter
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    low cal? I'm good at that more for snacking though... greek yogurt is delicious and you add in your favorite fruit or honey. I often snack on apples, oranges, blueberries, or strawberries. If you need a little more than that then pair it with peanut butter or cool whip. LOVE Special K Cracker Chips preferably cheddar or sour cream and onion. Lay's LIGHT potato chips (no fat). Pretty good and totally curves my potato chip craving.
  • BethJamo71
    BethJamo71 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    First thing I notice when I look at your diary is you are only eating a banana for breakfast. I would be starving too.

Make some eggs the night before or some oatmeal and add some dried fruit and nuts. Eating more for breakfast with some protein will probably help you stay full until lunch.
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Well just viewing your 7/2 diary a number of things jump right out at me:

1) breakfast is THE most important meal of the day - a single banana does not cut it. My favorite is "power oatmeal" - oatmeal made with almond milk, flax seed meal, walnuts and banana - turbo charges me until lunch time.

2) You have 6 super high processed snacks. Chewy granola bars? They are processed Candy - garbage - dump them. Chex mix with nuts - same thing. Opt for healthier snacks with higher protein. Unsalted cashews and peanuts top my list. Chobani natural Greek yogurt, baby carrots and a bit of cheese - go for natural, low sugar, high protein stuff.

3) Mac and cheese for dinner? Again garbage. Want an easy nutriient dense dinner? - I will give ya one - it's called spinach and white bean ai-oi. Here is what you need:

A skillet with a lid
    A bag of baby spinach from the produce aisle
    A can of cananelli white beans
    3 gloves of garlic
    4 tblspoons of olive oil
    red pepper flakes

Heat up the olive oil in the pan - don't let it smoke - while heating wash and drain the spinach
    chop the garlic fine add it to the pan
    open beans, drain the juice
    add a layer of the wet spinach in the pan then some beans then some sea salt and red pepper flakes
    add another layer of spinach, beans etc until all your beans and spinach are in the pan - cover with the lid on medium heat

Occasionally mix it until spinach is deep green and wilted - plate in a bowl and eat with a nice piece of crusty Italian bread and a small glass of red wine -

Turbo charge ya! Easier to make than Mac an Cheese, 20x healthier and way less fat and calories (and in my opinion far more delicious).

Also add some exercise -if you walk daily you can add to your calorie intake and you will be less hungry

Good luck!