Tips for a beginner jogger

Options
Hey guys, I am beginning to jog now. I have been walking 3 - 4 times a week, 30 - 45 minutes for 3 months. It's just too easy now and I am beginning to jog small distances in my walk. I can't jog for long because I am still so unfit.

Does anyone have any tips at all? What shoes I should purchase or how I can increase my jogging times?

Replies

• SharitaWray
    SharitaWray Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Try timing yourself in intervals. Run for 3 minutes, walk for 5. Then as you get better, try running for 5 minutes then walking for 2. Don't limit yourself. You can usually go for longer than you think. :)
  • girlonfire15
    girlonfire15 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Google Couch to 5k. It's a fantastic program that gets you from literally not running to a 5k in nine weeks.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    Google Couch to 5k. It's a fantastic program that gets you from literally not running to a 5k in nine weeks.

How do I download it exactly?
  • hoosier8
    hoosier8 Posts: 25
    Options
    My daughter organized a couch to 5k where she worked and I joined in. It is a great way to start running. Just be sure to have good running shoes for any running. My choice is Brooks.
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Go to a specialty running store (not a huge sporting goods store - a small local store that specializes in running gear) and get properfly fitted for shoes. They'll be able to recommend the best shoes for you based on your gait, feet, etc. Get some decent socks in a technical fabric (i.e., not cotton), too - your feet will thank you.

When you start out - go slowly! If you need to walk, walk. When you start back running again, run even slower than you were running! The fitness and speed will come in short order, but give your body a chance to get used to running. And, though I've never used the program myself, a lot of people on MFP speak very highly of the Couch to 5K program, as has already been suggested.

Happy running! :flowerforyou:
  • jehembee
    jehembee Posts: 114
    Options
    I have a pair of New Balance shoes that I love. And couch to 5k is an app for your iPod or iPhone. But, from what I gather, there are other apps out there. I am on week five day one, and it's going pretty good.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I don't have an Iphone.. My phones an android.. Hmm...
    I think I will have to get some good running shoes before I try anything. The shoes I wear now are cheap ones and are getting worn down.
  • BabyGrl726
    BabyGrl726 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    For Android, they have a free version that is just a starter. But you can get the couch to 5k for 1.99 at play store.
  • drotarthebarbarian
    drotarthebarbarian Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have C25K Lite (free version) for my android, and I also downloaded Runkeeper for free. Haven't decided which I like better yet (only in week 3 of 9), but I think Runkeeper gives you a better idea of splits and what not. And RK uses gps to save routes and distances, which is useful if you are timing your run instead of running by distance.

Hope that helps. Let me just say also I've NEVER been a runner, but I'm getting there with the C25K. Good luck!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    C25kFREE is an app and it's available for both iPhones and Droids. It gives you the whole 9 week program, prompts you for warm up, when to run, when to walk, when to start your cool down. I used that app and went from being a complete non-runner to being able to run the 5k distance without stopping by the end of the 9 weeks.

And I've kept going - continued to run anywhere from 2-4 miles on my own, ran a 5k race on Memorial weekend (so much fun!), and started the 10k program about 3 weeks ago. It works!

Like the others said - get some good running shoes, fitted at a running store if possible. Stick to the program, even if it feels too slow at first. As you progress the later weeks might seem daunting, but always give it a try before repeating a previous week (and no shame in doing that if you really need to) - but I bet you will be surprised at what you can do - I was! And go slow - as slow as you need to in order to complete each week's program. Slow jogging is still jogging! Speed will come later. Make sure you stretch really well after each run, too.

Go for it - and have fun with it!
  • tlnurse
    tlnurse Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    You don't need an I-phone for couch to 5 K......Just google it and it tells you what to do each day.....good luck!