My grocery bill and running

Options
2»

Replies

• LittleNicci
    LittleNicci Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Try shopping for produce at your local farmer's market... you can get a lot of fresh fruits and veggies for a pretty low price, most of the time. You could also try growing some of your own produce at home. Things like tomatoes and zucchini grow pretty quickly and one plant will give you a considerable harvest.

especially this time of year! they're practically GIVING fresh fruit and veggies away! is there a trader joe's or a whole foods near you? they have nut butters that are fantastico! or how bout a walgreens? protein powders and flaxseed oil/powders are cheap there and can be added to just about anything :-D

ALSO: betty crocker's recipie website is FREE to sign up for and you get email alerts too. you can search for "healthified" versions of your favorites (like mac n cheese!) I love their crock pot ideas for just about anything and it's so easy! My dad's always called it "set it and forget it" lol! beans are a great way to get all kinds of nutrients, making traditional Mexican pinto beans is simple and you can eat on a large pot for days making burritos, soup, using it with eggs, all kinds of stuff!
  • 152dbs
    152dbs Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    beans are cheap and awesome for refueling!

ironic u mention beans and refueling....because they give me gas that lasts for days....

me and my wife eat alot of fresh fruits and veggies. best fruit i find is from roadside stands. and couponing is a PITA but at least it lessens the burden in the wallet.
  • emtron500
    emtron500 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    haha it happens. rinsing beans thoroughly out of the can helps a lot.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Anything dried, tinned and frozen works for me.

I usually buy beans dry and my vegetables either tinned or frozen, depending on my taste. That way I'm generally only buying fresh meat, eggs, veggies that can't be frozen as-is and so forth during the week.

You do have to do a little bit of stock control for a few weeks, but it levels out and your bills begin to drop.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Just buy basic food stuff and nothing pre-chopped or ready made.

Cheap calorie dense foods are: tinned fish, beans, rice/pasta, nuts from the market, peanut butter, oats and dairy products.