Females boxing...any here?!

Options
bms34b
bms34b Posts: 401 Member
I'm currently doing NROL for women and LOVING IT. It's making me feel brave enough to box. Any ladies on here tried it?

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    My old gym offered a women's boxing class. It was all the training but no sparring. I loved it so much I considered joining a real ring but just couldn't do actual sparring.
  • sarahrobin
    sarahrobin Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I want to take up boxing so badly. Unfortunately I have no money for a gym membership. Once my kids are done with full time daycare my goal is to start!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Not a female however in the Academy I used to goto we used to have alot of girls, of all age groups, working out and alot of them were putting men to shame. We have a saying in our academy that if our assistant coach tells us that we hit like a girl, it should be taken as a compliment

Boxing in my humble opinion is one of the best workouts you can do. The academy I train with trains a lot of olympic and world boxing champions and they suggest light weight lifting compared to heavy weight lifting since boxing is one of the very rare sports where heavy weight lifting hurts your movement speed and agility rather than help. But if you don't want to go pro you can heavy lift and box at the same time.

BTW, Claressa Shield (Undefeated olympian this year) is from my town and I've met her. All she does is boxing and running and you can judge how she looks :)

HS_Claressa_Shields_576.jpg
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I trained in kickboxing for 10 years. Did several tournaments. Won some. I trained for a ring fight but backed out for two reasons: 1) I was overtraining and my adrenaline/cortisol was SOOOOO messed up (13 hrs/week) and 2) I couldn't make it my goal to knock someone out and I knew if I stepped into the ring without that goal, I'd be the one knocked out.

The training was the single best sport I've ever done. I quit for a variety of reasons, but didn't start up again because I moved to a new town. I've thought of opening a kickboxing school in this small town where I live. I want others to enjoy it too.

If you have a boxing club near you, do it. It does wonders for the self-confidence. And it's an amazing workout.
  • melitag1974
    melitag1974 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm a boxer. I train one-on-one with a boxing personal trainer once a week and go to boxing classes at the gym a few days a week and practice on the bag at home. That and running are my fave forms of exercise.
  • aquietuprising
    Options
    I box! :) Just started recently. Bought a medium heavy bag and some gloves and handwraps. It's so much fun, and such a good work out. Just don't push too hard or you'll hurt yourself.
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    ooooh I am not a boxer, but it seems fun.

I don't think I'd like being hit in the nose. I HATE that feeling!