To protein shake, or not to protein shake?

Options
bms34b
bms34b Posts: 401 Member
Alright - I'm already over my cals today because of some poor eating choices earlier today. After dinner, I've lifted weights and done yoga. My protein is low for the day. My goal is to lose fat and gain muscle.

Do I have the protein and go over cals or skip it and keep the cals in check?

Replies

• will010574
    will010574 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Do the protein shake!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Are you hungry? Your post implies that you think you need to have protein after every workout. This is not true.
  • Jessicaarceneaux
    Jessicaarceneaux Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Do it!
  • tedmug
    tedmug Posts: 1
    Options
    Keep your protein up. Protein can be broken down into glucose for energy. Carbohydrates cannot be synthesized into proteins. In other words there is no substitute for a protein deficiency.
  • pinkpolkadots25
    pinkpolkadots25 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I would go for the protein shake!
  • Jordant107
    Jordant107 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Are you hungry? Your post implies that you think you need to have protein after every workout. This is not true.
    I've tried going without them, as well as having them immediately after a workout- I've found that my recovery time is speed up incredibly when I have a shake straight away. I can be sore for up to 4 days when I don't have one, but I've never been sore for more than 2 days when I have one (it could well vary from person to person, though).
  • cgdixon
    cgdixon Posts: 1
    Options
    I have been successful with GNC's lean shake. Each one has 170 calories and 24 grams of protein. You can substute that for a meal or a snack and get in your protein and not go beyond your calories. This is the only lean shake I can find with so much protein. And thank goodness it takes good. If you like chocolate, the chocolate is good as well as the vanilla. I was not wild about the strawberry, but that is a matter of taste. Good luck!!!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I've tried going without them, as well as having them immediately after a workout- I've found that my recovery time is speed up incredibly when I have a shake straight away. I can be sore for up to 4 days when I don't have one, but I've never been sore for more than 2 days when I have one (it could well vary from person to person, though).

Yes, it comes down to a matter of preference. I'm in disbelief everyone is encouraging the OP to guzzle down a shake just for the heck of it. She's what, 15g short today? She's 125.8 body weight per ticker. Let's guess her body fat to be 20%, so LBM is 100.64. Going by the .85g/lb lbm, she needs 85.5. She's had 70. It will be ok. Take it from a protein guzzling weight lifting fanatic.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I imagine your protein intake over the week is more important than this 24 hours. The body is a continuous system. It doesn't check MFP's totals. Have it for breakfast.
  • LexyDB
    LexyDB Posts: 261
    Options
    Keep your protein up. Protein can be broken down into glucose for energy.

In extreme cases when carbohydrates and fats are depleted. Just because they are consumed to excess doesn't mean your body will tap into protein immediately for fuel
    Carbohydrates cannot be synthesized into proteins.

Really? Is that why protein and carbohydrates are their own class of macronutrients?
    In other words there is no substitute for a protein deficiency.

For what reason? Someone doesn't eat correctly, that is their fault. You shouldn't need protein shakes unless it is post workout at the gym and you haven't taken a meal with you.

You people are protein shake obsessed and see it as a quick fix or magic bullet to losing fat. Even whey isolate is in doubt for post work out as it is being touted that a peptide is beneficial for a quick source then delayed feed whilst the muscles repair post workout.

Most of you will never overload the muscles to the extent or use them hard enough where your body actually catabolises your current lean mass for energy and warrants a shake post workout. Do you have any idea what it takes to do this during exercise and how long until it happens?

It's called a supplement for a reason. But keep throwing your money away when it could be spent on things like better quality food which is something you do need.