Sweating too much! Help!

Options
When I first started working out and getting in shape, I didn't sweat too much. I've noticed that the more weight I lose, the more I sweat when I work out. It's almost excessive sweating, and it's kind of embarrassing. It's like someone turned on my internal faucet. Is there any food I can eat or anything else I can do to lessen the sweat? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    That's normal and is a sign your body is getting fit and more efficient at cooling itself. There is nothing you can do about it.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    stop working out as hard or get used to it
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    If you're working out you're trying to sweat...no? I drop 5 lbs after a good cardio session, all sweat.
  • kbd388
    kbd388 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    it is gross, but I don't mind all of the sweat, it makes me feel as though I really accomplished something.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I love to workout in a pool....very little sweating. :)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    you're just swimming around in your sweat and everyone else's :laugh:
  • DreadRunner
    Options
    Its just something that happens. I sweat what would seem an inhuman amount. I just bought a Halo Headband and kept on running. I may look like a nut but I don't workout to look good during the workouts.
  • MalissaDC
    MalissaDC Posts: 123
    Options
    I am sweating like crazy when I work out now too but it's really a good sign. It means your body is starting to do what it's supposed to do:).
  • joconnor09
    joconnor09 Posts: 124
    Options
    I was talking to my mom about a similar problem- it seems like all of a sudden, I'm peeing all the time!! She said that initially, when you start to work out your muscles retain water, but that after a while, it releases that water. It could just be that you're at the point where your muscles are releasing that water and you're excreting it in the form of sweat. It could also be that you're just really really hot when you work out. Are you doing your workouts outside, or in an air conditioned space?
  • cavewoman15
    cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    sweat is the new black. i'm sweating just reading this post about you sweating. i'm sweaty mcsweatington.

carry a towel/hankie and call it a day. wearing handkerchiefs when i work out outside seems to help a tiny bit. i have a friend who changes his shirt half way through a workout. at least mine isn't that bad!
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    That's a sign that your metabolism has picked up, which is positive for weight loss (core temperature is the best indicator of metabolic rate relative to body mass, and also the largest determinant of when/how much you sweat). If you want to lower your metabolic rate, then eat less, or expose yourself to high temperatures on a regular basis. Otherwise, grab a towel :)
  • Lisseth03
    Lisseth03 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    haha I made a post like this a couple weeks back. same thing happened to me, learn to love the sweat!
  • jasonthekidd
    Options
    This is why they make work out towels...push yourself to exhaustion...sweat is fine as long as you have a towel. On a more serious note, there isn't anything you can do. :-)
  • sthrnchick
    sthrnchick Posts: 771
    Options
    Personally... I love when I work out hard.. lift weights...and my hair is soaking wet. It lets me know that I pushed myself. Bring a towel and enjoy the workout!
  • missym357
    missym357 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I have reached a new level of sweatiness in the past few months! I have always had no problem sweating, but lately I am drenched after a workout- I look like I walked through a shower. It is pretty amazing. I look around my classes and I am clearly the sweatiest one in the room- bleh....it's a good thing though in terms of your body doing it's thing and is supposed to be a sign of having a healthy cooling system.
  • Akious
    Akious Posts: 71
    Options
    If you aren't willing to sweat during a workout you shouldn't be working out. On my weight lifting days, I break a sweat. On my cardio days, My shirt looks like I went swimming with it on.
  • MernyMac
    MernyMac Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Someone posted on here......Sweat is your Fat crying, because it's meltinggggggg...........

I sweat profusely when it's hot and I'm not doing anything.!!...It's gross , gives me that "not so fresh feeling".....lol....and makes me feel anything but ladylike.....It's our bodies way of cooling us off, so not much we can do about it really..........Have a towel with you when you excersise, so you can dry those tears your fat is crying, and just imagine how good you are going to look in the end !!.

Good luck on your jounery....Merny
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Is there any food I can eat or anything else I can do to lessen the sweat? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    I sweat tons when I do cardio. Your best bet is to buy some clothing that wicks the sweat off your body and dries quickly. I use some type of polyester shirt that Nike makes. If I wear cotton I look like someone turned a water hose on me. With these shirts however I don't even look that sweaty when I'm done. They're fantastic and way less restrictive than cotton anyway.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    you're just swimming around in your sweat and everyone else's :laugh:

At least I am getting a good workout. No worse than the sweat at a gym, that's for sure. At least there is chlorine to keep the bacteria down. No one washes gym equipment. ;)