Non-soy, non-dairy, non-meat protein ideas?

Options
MFPBrandy
MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
I see there are a lot of herbivores out there...I'm looking for protein ideas! I eat some meat, but not much, and I'd like to cut back a bit on my dairy intake, but I don't want to increase my soy intake, what with it being essentially a natural estrogen and us not having much clue about the long-term effects of messing with hormones like that (to each their own; that's my take). I can only do so much with beans & quinoa -- where do you like to get your protein from?

Replies

• LittleButMightyOne
    Options
    How about organic eggs?
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Try whey. Otherwise good luck!
  • MFPBrandy
    Options
    Try whey. Otherwise good luck!

I do use whey protein powder, but whey comes from milk. Unless there are other sources I don't know about?

Yeah, it's not an easy question! I do like dairy; I just think right now I rely on it too much. I should start eating more eggs--I tend to forget about them outside of breakfast, and I don't want to take the time to cook them on workdays.

Just curious what else is out there that other people have found. Milk proteins and soy proteins are pretty similar, so many folks who have difficulties with one will have problems with both -- just wondering what their workarounds are (unless the answer is more meat!).
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Vegan Shakeology uses sprouted fermented brown rice and pea protein...inbox me if you want details. 16-17g protein per shake and 2 flavors are completely Vegan...
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    PS I drink the Vegan Shakeology b/c I'm allergic to dairy proteins and soy proteins give me the same immune response...
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    There's protein powders made from pea protein, hemp protein and spirulina protein. I would seriously consider those, since your diet is so restrictive. Eggs would be advisable. Quorn brand meat substitute products are fabulous and soy-free, made from egg protein.
  • verapamil
    verapamil Posts: 94
    Options
    I use a vegan protein shake. It's Vegalite by Thorne and the chocolate flavor is super yummy. It's made from pea protein so it fits all your criteria. I get it from my work though, so I'm not sure what other store you could get it from. 23gms of protein for 120 calories.
  • DemiRaye
    DemiRaye Posts: 37
    Options
    beans...about 15g of protein per cup
  • Hemera
    Hemera Posts: 6
    Options
    How about nuts? I know they're caloric, but just a handful of almonds or something now and then isn't too bad.
  • DemiRaye
    DemiRaye Posts: 37
    Options
    beans...about 15g of protein per cup

just realized you wrote you were tired of them lol sorry :flowerforyou:
  • MFPBrandy
    Options
    These are great suggestions, thanks! I can eat dairy; I just don't want to eat as much as I have been to get the protein I need. I had no idea peas were a source; I will have to look ino that. Thanks for all the ideas!
  • going2befit4ever
    going2befit4ever Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    i also cannot do soy or dairy and have tree nut allergies and peanuts so i tend to rotate through pea protein, hemp, and rice protein and vega protein powders also check out the thrive diet by brendan frazier and use the knowledge of your local health food shop
  • SpazzyMal
    SpazzyMal Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Beans, quinoa and nuts. You can try to find seitan (If you have a Whole Foods or a Trader Joe's, they'll definitely have it), which is made out of wheat gluten. It's also easy to make on your own if you can find the ingredients. There's nutritional yeast, too, which is something a lot of vegans use which I've found is surprisingly full of more protein than I would have guessed.

EDIT: Also... I wouldn't put too much stock in those "soy estrogen is bad for you" scare tactics. Asian countries have been eating it for so long and they've traditionally been some of the healthiest people on the planet.
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    eggs
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    nuts, seeds, whole grains....

peas!
  • sukuna
    sukuna Posts: 13
    Options
    If you are okay with "fake" meat products I would suggest Qourn products. It is made with mycoprotein. They are pretty tasty, I really enjoy the chick'n version and their nuggets. Publix tends to carry them and other great products that is similar to qourn.
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Wheat gluten:

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/food/2012/01/stop_eating_tofu_start_eating_wheat_gluten_.html

(cue the "gluten is the debil" brigade in 3, 2, 1... )
  • pjortiz54
    pjortiz54 Posts: 4
    Options
    I get my protein from a meal supplement shake filled with lots of protein and tastes great
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Quorn, seitan and vegan protein powder
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I should start eating more eggs--I tend to forget about them outside of breakfast, and I don't want to take the time to cook them on workdays.

hard boil a bunch of them up on the weekend. then you have your lunch set for the week.