Dr. said start Clean Eating Diet (with problems) - HELP

Options
Drs....not sure I like them, but have to do what they say (most of the time). I was told I was hypoglycemic for a long time, but turns out it's an early detection of diabetes. He told me today that I need to start clean eating and cut out all my sugar (or most of it) and pastas.

Here is my problem...
I am allergic to onions and peppers. (Enough I have an EpiPen). I am also a very picky eater. Don't like many veggies (okay with carrots, green beans, corn, cucumbers, tomatoes, but that's about it). I grew up in foster care so my pallet was small.

Now I need to find a way to make edible food that I can deal with. My problem is I can't find easy recipes that don't take much time and don't have the stuff I won't eat. I work a lot and my husband often works nights. I hate cooking. Less prep and work the better since I am exhausted when I get home.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas?

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,004 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: get a George Foreman grill for easy, no fat preparation of turkey burgers, hamburgers, chicken, etc.......buy frozen veggies that you will ear and make huge servings of one or two kinds of veggies to go with your grilled meat...

:bigsmile: don't try to make huge changes all at once

:flowerforyou: try brown rice or quinoa as a small side dish to go with your grilled meat and veggies

:flowerforyou: stop calling yourself a picky eater and occasionally try something new and be open minded

:flowerforyou: what about fruit (fresh or frozen)?
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    You can purchase ready made salad mixes, a tomato if you like it. Add some diced rotisserie chicken and a little dressing and you have a decent meal.

Eggs in any form are also great...either alone or in a salad.

Watch your carbs....you don't want diabetes. Ask me how I know.
  • Dhellia
    Dhellia Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    First, the staple of all cooking should be spices! I learned about their wonderfulness a couple years ago and can't live without them. They make foods I hated, fabulous! Have you tried lentils? Couscous? Rice? It may be difficult for you at first since you're a picky eater, but I would suggest trying ethnic foods, especially middle eastern and asian. Maybe a curry or a pad thai type dish.

Also, I think I recommend this cookbook to everyone but I really love the Weight Watchers cookbook. I've never done WW but their recipes are great. Reasonably priced ingredients and delicious low cal food that is usually quick to make. They even tell you in the recipe how long prep is and how long cook time is. :)

Hope that helps.
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Do you own a crockpot? You can do a ton of different recipes in it without too much preparation. Usually its just throw the ingredients in and turn it on before you go to work.
  • inkandsheep
    inkandsheep Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Look for vegan recipes - you can always add lean meats to them if you like. There are lots of healthy vegan recipe blogs around! You can leave out onions and peppers from recipes.

Experiment with new vegetables, grains and beans. Try things that are fairly similar to what you already like. If you like cucumber, you will probably like courgette. You can use courgette as a pasta substitute with a tomato & veg sauce. If you like green beans, you will probably like peas and edamame (soy) beans, as they are quite similar. Most beans and legumes (lentils) are quite bland on their own and you can make them wonderful with spices and herbs.

What about apples? Or berries? Natural sugars are usually better for you than refined sugars. You can make a lovely healthy breakfast using brown rice, apples and spices (cinnamon, nutmeg).
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    never mind