Vegan, Gluten Free, Sugar Free for 90 Days!

Options
A friend has challenged me to go vegan (already about 80%), gluten free, and sugar free for the next 90 days while we do our Turbofire program. Support and ideas for how to accomplish this would be greatly appreciated. The goal is to go as clean as possible and see if it helps with inflammation. Chime in if you have experience with any of this please!

Replies

• buzzcogs
    buzzcogs Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Rooting for you! I don't know if I could ever do it but you are inspiring me to cut back on my sugar and do more "raw".
  • icecle
    icecle Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    May I ask, why gluten free?

I am coeliac and I am force to eat gluten free products. But i see a lot of wrong opinions about gluten, and above all a lot of people that is "suggesting" that gluten free should be better for your health, which is completely false.

Cheers
  • hrtotten
    hrtotten Posts: 26
    Options
    Gluten free because we are going to be testing out my son for celiac based on the recommendation of his pediatrician. I eat a lot of grains, and do better when I avoid gluten as well, although I don't have celiac.
  • hrtotten
    Options
    If we could all go 80% raw I think we would all have much better health!
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I am grain free, vegetarian, dairy free, and have recently cut way back on the eggs again. I am not sugar free or raw. A number of foods cause me allergic/intolerant reactions if consumed raw but are okay if cooked, so I can eat a much wider variety of cooked foods. I am also deathly allergic to a number of the foods on a high-raw diet. So that one's out for me!
  • kmjenkins
    kmjenkins Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I am doing something similar, avoiding grains/potatoes, no processed sugar, etc, but am not doing the vegan thing. I'm almost finished with my 30 day cycle and it was hard at first but has gotten alot easier. My suggestion would be to do lots of research to find recipes/variations to all your favorites. Once I found good substitutes for the things I loved I haven't had a problem. It does take discipline and will power but its definitely possible.

Good luck!
  • fightingautism
    Options
    I went gluten free for a summer to see if it would help my psoriasis. It went away. then I fell off the gluten wagon lol it's back. I think being vegan will put you majorly at gf if you do not eat much processed meat substitutions. Read your labels for vegan substitutes. Fruits, veggies, beans, watch the soy thing. Good luck! Had my daughter with autism gfcf for a few years, it's not easy.
  • MashaSK
    MashaSK Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    hope you will survive I am gluten/dairy free+trying to avoid grains but can't go vegan All I'll have to eat will be only water i am trying to cut more sugar too
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Sounds like quite the challenge. Good luck.
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I went vegan for 2 months (it was a dare) and it changed my life. I learned so much about food and how your body processes it. I am back to being a carnivore again, but it really changed my eating habits. I now eat tofu (not too often) and TVP and use it as a meat substitute. All my tummy issues went away and I think it was all the dairy I was eating, so I limit myself to milk (only a little), yogurt, and some cheese. I felt a million times better. I now only eat red meat occassionally and usually enjoy chicken or turkey. TVP will be your best friend. It is textured veggie protein and very versatile. I would make spaghetti, rice, mac & cheese, etc... and put in TVP and you would think you were eating meat. You soak it in hot water (or you can put it in whatever liquid you are using like spaghetti sauce) and then it plumps up. I would soak it in water, season it, and use it as filling for tacos. I have kids and I use it to stretch out meat. They rarely notice.

edit: scrambled tofu is just like scrambled eggs. Just flavor it up. I made it like eggs by cooking it but not drying it out. Awesome.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I have done it for 30 days to get rid of the cravings but not for 3 months. It can be done but I don't see living the rest of my life like that. Good luck with the challenge!
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Whoa that is intense! good luck to you! I'd say eat a lot of beans from the dry form so you don't get the sodium, veggies would be good too... season with a little EVOO and Mrs. Dash
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    There is still plenty to eat with grain free and vegan, trust me! My problem is not with keeping my weight up!
    hope you will survive I am gluten/dairy free+trying to avoid grains but can't go vegan All I'll have to eat will be only water i am trying to cut more sugar too
  • hrtotten
    Options
    So far I haven't been 100% at any of it, but I would say at least 80%. I'm not eating meat, but have had cheese on pizza over the past week. Maybe 80% is the way to go for me, anyway!

I have started Turbofire again and am feeling much better doing this combo. I haven't gotten on the scale because I am trying to go by how I feel and only weigh myself every 30 days. Thanks for the encouragement!
  • lose2gainit
    Options
    Hi i would think its easier being gluten free vegan but sugar free,now thats hard because there is sugar in everything,unlessyou use the fake sugars. I willonly use the real stuff! Keep us posted
  • ppatick
    ppatick Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I just finished 3 months as a vegan, totally worth it! My husband did it with me and my 2 teens, reluctantly, since I am the shopper and cook. I will never go back, it is a lifestyle now. I was always a cook, trying out new things, some of the cookbooks out there are great. I would think it is hard to do if you have no kitchen skills, though. I am always surprised how many sugar grams are in my totals every day, when I don't eat white sugar! Corn, fruit, it hides out.

Best of luck! Is there a vegan group here? I can't relate to the fast food eating issues I am seeing on these boards.:wink::wink:
  • Mact26
    Mact26 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I second the question of if there's a vegan group here - I just started living gluten-free and vegan (started as an elimination diet and identified gluten, dairy, and sugar as culprits of some daily woes), and am avoiding added sugar and oils as much as I can. It hasn't been long, but I already feel fantastic. I've found a lot of really good, filling recipes that are simple, made with whole foods, high in protein, and low in fat, but could definitely use a support group since my friends/family aren't in the same boat. They're supportive, but I'm kind of on my own about discovering foods. I keep getting asked how I can live without deep dish pizzas :P
  • Mact26
    Mact26 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I've never been one for forums - so until you posted those links I wasn't even quite sure what I was looking for.