Non Dairy People

Options
Eve23
Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
Where do you get your calcium. I know many take calcium supplements but many of them make me feel sick. I often forget to take the vitamins I do have. So my preference is to eat what I can to get those nutrients. Soy and dairy products are out.

Replies

• misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    The rice milk I use in my protein shake in the morning is Enriched so it has calcium in it.
  • Eve23
    Options
    I use almond milk because I prefer the flavor. I eat quite a bit of rice as I am gluten free and many other grains.
  • SpazzyMal
    SpazzyMal Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Aside from soy products of any type, which you said is out, greens are a good source. Greens are one of the best sources of all, really. Almonds aren't horrible either.

Eat your greens!
  • pstaceyca
    pstaceyca Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Yes between, rice and coconut milk and lots of greens that is about it! You can also get some juices that are enriched with calcium if you drink juice. Have you tried taking a lower dose of a calcium supplement a couple times a day instead of one big one? Or maybe just one to help increase it a bit? :wink:
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Almond milk and hazelnut milk that I get are both enriched. And coconut milk too :smile:
  • IamL
    IamL Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Almond milk. I get the unsweetened kind; it's only 35 calories per serving.

Also, dark green leafy vegetables. I like spinach and kale. :D
  • IamL
    IamL Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Almond milk and hazelnut milk that I get are both enriched. And coconut milk too :smile:

Hazelnut milk? That sounds amazing. ^^
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Where do you get your calcium. I know many take calcium supplements but many of them make me feel sick. I often forget to take the vitamins I do have. So my preference is to eat what I can to get those nutrients. Soy and dairy products are out.

I take calcium supplements, but almond milk had ALOT of calcium in it too, you can drink it straight, eat it with cereal or add it to oatmeal. I buy the vanilla flavored but I can't drink as much as I'd like because of the added sugar in it.
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I get my calcium mostly from the foods that I eat. Greens such as collard, kale, broccoli, brussel sprouts are all good sources of calcium. I also love snacking on almonds, another good natural source.

Here's a link to check out!
    http://www.healthhabits.ca/2011/11/04/top-13-non-dairy-calcium-rich-foods/
  • vegannlg
    vegannlg Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    You should be trying for 1000 to 1200 mg per day, and I have read that calcium carbonate can make one sick. You can try an organic calcium such as calcium gluconate or calcium citrate instead. (Vitamine D is usually included and necessary) Other good foods are sardines (they are eaten bones and all!), sesame seeds, almonds (as everyone has noted!), spinach and collard greens, and onions. Broccoli is also another biggie for calcium. With good diet you shouldn't need to supplement much but women need to get enough.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    leafy green veggies.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Tropicana Pure Premium has Calcium and D fortified OJ...I too had a problem and ended up cracking a rib from a sinus infection tickle cough I had for 3 days straight last winter. I also am now drinking Silk Coconut Milk, which is fortified with calcium...
  • vegannlg
    Options
    I get my calcium mostly from the foods that I eat. Greens such as collard, kale, broccoli, brussel sprouts are all good sources of calcium. I also love snacking on almonds, another good natural source.

Here's a link to check out!
    http://www.healthhabits.ca/2011/11/04/top-13-non-dairy-calcium-rich-foods/

Awesome link!!
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    You could try the chew chocolate ones they taste like tootsie rolls. Also believe it or not a lot of the veggies have calcium but i also have Almond Milk. and various other foods.
  • simplyeater
    simplyeater Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Almond milk, coconut milk yogurt, beans, nuts, the occasional Luna bar, greens and even whole grain products like whole wheat bread and corn tortillas. It seems to add up. Some days I'm under, but most days I am right on track.
  • Eve23
    Options
    Thanks for the added ideas. I do the almond milk, luna bars and corn tortillas. Coconut is a no no for me as it closes my breathing off. (Its kinda important to breath) I do like spinach though.
    RobynMWilson that is exactly why I am looking at adding more. I do not want to have a relatively minor thing advance to a broken bone.
  • vegannlg
    Options
    Thanks for the added ideas. I do the almond milk, luna bars and corn tortillas. Coconut is a no no for me as it closes my breathing off. (Its kinda important to breath) I do like spinach though.
    RobynMWilson that is exactly why I am looking at adding more. I do not want to have a relatively minor thing advance to a broken bone.
    Careful of Luna bars. I LOVE them, but check the labels as I think their protien sorce is soy based - you had said no soy...
  • TheDreadPirateRoberts
    TheDreadPirateRoberts Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I use calcium tablets (lactose intolerant). You can get quite small ones now and if you eat them with a meal they dont make you feel sick.
  • Eve23
    Options
    Careful of Luna bars. I LOVE them, but check the labels as I think their protien sorce is soy based - you had said no soy...

True and it is the newest addition to my list unfortunately. I was having wheezing bouts and had to narrow it down. Last 3 days no soy and no wheezing. So I know I am on the path.
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options

Because you said you don't want a minor thing to advance to a broken bone, may I ask if you are doing any heavy weight lifting? Lifting heavy is known to be one of the best ways (apart from getting adequate calcium) to build better bone density, and is usually recommended for women who are looking to prevent osteoporosis.

"How Can Osteoporosis Be Slowed Down?
    Preventing osteoporosis depends on two things: making the strongest, densest bones possible during the first 30 years of life and limiting the amount of bone loss in adulthood.

There are a number of lifestyle factors that can help with the latter:

Getting regular exercise, especially weight-bearing and muscle strengthening exercise.
    Getting adequate vitamin D, whether through diet, exposure to sunshine, or supplements.
    Consuming enough calcium to reduce the amount the body has to borrow from bone.
    Consuming adequate vitamin K, found in green, leafy vegetables.
    Not getting too much preformed vitamin A."