Exercise Cals? Are they a must?

2»

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    As I said, I do not eat exercise cals. The cals I eat are not magically turning to flab either. I have very defined leg and arm muscles, even my forearms show some definition. Being a woman I even have defined traps. The only place not showing as much definition is my tummy. Which 2 babys and 3 abdominal surgeries- I'm sure is the culprit. It (my tummy) is however getting smaller, not larger. I fit a 29 waist and 30 inseam, and currently weigh 150lbs. I must have super powers! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I truly hope this continues for you. As for me, I did the exact same thing and when I hit 138 I had no where to go. I stopped losing, just like that.
  • arewethereyet
    As I said, I do not eat exercise cals. The cals I eat are not magically turning to flab either. I have very defined leg and arm muscles, even my forearms show some definition. Being a woman I even have defined traps. The only place not showing as much definition is my tummy. Which 2 babys and 3 abdominal surgeries- I'm sure is the culprit. It (my tummy) is however getting smaller, not larger. I fit a 29 waist and 30 inseam, and currently weigh 150lbs. I must have super powers! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I truly hope this continues for you. As for me, I did the exact same thing and when I hit 138 I had no where to go. I stopped losing, just like that.

I ate 1200 calories a day and no exercise cals.
  • arewethereyet
    People, it's all in the links listed above, just read them, then if you still have questions, fine, but those links make it pretty clear why MFP has you eating your exercise calories. If you don't eat them then you're not following the plan set by MFP. If that's your thing, fine, that's a choice you make. But don't not eat them because you don't understand.

ok...........stop yelling or I'm tellin mom!:angry:

:laugh: :laugh:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    MFP automatically sets up a calorie deficit, so if you don't eat your exercise calories, you're increasing that deficit. Whether or not you eat them is entirely up to you, but I generally do.
  • BrendaLee
    People, it's all in the links listed above, just read them, then if you still have questions, fine, but those links make it pretty clear why MFP has you eating your exercise calories. If you don't eat them then you're not following the plan set by MFP. If that's your thing, fine, that's a choice you make. But don't not eat them because you don't understand.

I sense a bit of frustration. :tongue:
  • carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    This what I think but whatever ......and it works for me...........

I think if you have only a few pounds to lose I wouldnt eat exercise calories. If you have a lot of weight to lose eat your exercise calories. Obviously bigger people need more. I have been keeping my calories at about 1300 and have lost 11 lbs so far since July 22nd and only have 14 more to go. I have tried eating more in the beggining of MFP and only gained, so what people need to realize is DIFFERENT STROKES FOR DIFFERENT FOLKS, what works for one person may not work for another, you will be the only one to decide what works best for you and you can tweak your diet to what is working for YOU!.
  • People, it's all in the links listed above, just read them, then if you still have questions, fine, but those links make it pretty clear why MFP has you eating your exercise calories. If you don't eat them then you're not following the plan set by MFP. If that's your thing, fine, that's a choice you make. But don't not eat them because you don't understand.

Oh man.....someone got Banks ruffled lol!!! We :heart: U Banks!!!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

But he's right....read the links...they explain alot :smile: And I can understand the frustration...I feel the same way. If you are not going to do something, at least be armed with knowledge instead of just not doing it out of ignorance. Learn, read, explore...it's your body.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Frustrated?

Sure I am, it's partially because of the design of the forums,partially because you only see the vocal minority. It's just that there's a lot of well thought out, very highly researched information on the subject of exercise calories that people just decide not to read. 90% of the people out there follow the plan, it works for them to one degree or another, and you rarely hear about it. The other 10% (the exception that proves the rule) for whatever reason, has had a bad experience. Either they did something wrong, or their bodies just have something not quite following the median (or some other anomoly). This is frustrating to me, not because those people speak up or that they have done anything wrong, but because the way it works out, new members see what looks like even numbers of people who do and/or don't follow the plan, because only a small minority of those who do follow it actually post about it.

I'm not saying it's wrong, but it's indicitive. I just wish people who have had success without following the plan would make sure new members knew that this is a divergent path (not a wrong path, just maybe not what they should start with). I've no problem with people trying the MFP way, not succeeding, and then doing their own thing, I just feel that it's irresponsible to say something like:

"I don't eat mine, and I lost weight" without premising it with something like "now granted, you should give MFP a chance to work before you start playing with your calories. Else why even be on here?"

Ugh, I'm sorry, I guess I'm jaded. And 9/11 complacency is pissing me off today!
  • carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    I just think people should find what works for them. Some people, not all, feel if they exercise they have a sense of "entitlement" and eat what they shouldnt be eating and wondering why they are not losing weight. Thats why I say, do what is working for you, nobody can discourage you from that or say that is wrong.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    I follow MFP to a tee! I have a smalll deficit--250 cals--and I eat every last exercise cal I can get my hands on :laugh: I exercise 30-60min/day (swim, walk/jog), I just started weight training too. I am slowly but surely losing the weight in a way my body doesn't rebel against. Reading the forums-esp the controversial ones!- I've learned a lot about nutrition and switched up my eating to a 40-30-30 plan. This has done wonders for my overall health--I'm no long tired or have mood swings--I feel great! Thanks MFP!! :love: :heart: :love:
  • I am not going to publish a hypocritical "do as I say, not as I do" post to make anyone feel better or ease their frustration. :laugh: My post did not contain any direct advice, nor contain the words "you should'. I also didn't 'dog' anyones advice. I shared my personal experience on a public forum :drinker: I've also read the links along with a lot of other information here and elsewhere.
  • TaraJ16
    TaraJ16 Posts: 304
    Ok, so do these numbers look better then? (First is calories, then carbs)

No Excercise Days

Total: 1,209 ~ 179
    Goal: 1,210 ~ 166
    Remaining: 1 ~ -11

Days I excercise (burning approx 460 cals)

Total: 1,517 ~ 228
    Goal: 1,670 ~ 229
    Remaining: 153 ~ 1

So this way instead of eating none of my 460 excercise cals, i'll be eating 307 of them? So would that work, or do i have to eat that extra 153? i'm a really picky eater, and don't know what the heck else to add in there
  • BrendaLee

No Excercise Days

So this way instead of eating none of my 460 excercise cals, i'll be eating 307 of them? So would that work, or do i have to eat that extra 153? i'm a really picky eater, and don't know what the heck else to add in there

You have two options- you can follow MFP as closely as you can for a few weeks, and see how that works for you, or you can just play it by ear, and see what happens. I'd say you'd be fine with not eating that 153 calories, but if you're hungry, eat them.
  • wks7777
    wks7777 Posts: 230
    I talked to a trainer the other day and he said that a 150 lb woman (me) should be eating 1700 cals a day if u dont work out and 1900 approx if u do work out .Im doing strength trainig and cardio everyday. MFP gives me 1200 cals a day so obviously i need to eat my exercise calories. The reason for this is, the average person in a normal day burn 2000 calories, this is average some more some less BUT 1200 calories is not enough for anyone except for a 90 lb person. MFP gives u this assuming u will work out as well becuz thats how u lose weight (with diet and exercise) and assuming u will eat the exercise calories.l will be the first to admit i didnt know this until the other day and had planned to only eat the 1200 but after this i trust him and i trust the people who have been here for a whlie that say to eat the exercise calories. The reason u need to is if ur strength training u need those calories to build muscle (to burn fat around the muscle). While u may lose weight by eating only those few calories, its very unhealthy and can lead to heart attack and stroke becuz ur starving ur body. Me id rather live and lose weight slowly, then to die and lose weight fast.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member

No Excercise Days

In my opinion, that looks fine. Personally, 1450 calories is enough for me (that is my goal without exercising), so instead of trying to shove more food I really dont' want in my mouth on the days I work out, I've found just eating a protein bar and some dreamfields pasta (that is a treat!) on my workout days is more than adequate.
  • TaraJ16
    TaraJ16 Posts: 304
    i'm going to give the above a try and see how it works out for me, and if nothings happening then i'll adjust again.
This discussion has been closed.