Interval Training

Options
Does anyone have some recommendations for some effective way to do interval training in the gym? I have heard that interval training is more effective at reducing fat when you don't have much to lose, so I thought I'd do it more seriously for a while, as I only have a few kgs to go. I also have a slight hip injury which does not cope with running constantly, but does OK at short bursts.

Previously I have done things like walk 1 min, run 1 min, on the treadmill. I usually walk at 7kmph and run at 12 kmph doing this, and I do it for about 20-25 mins. I have also done a bit on the x-trainer (I think that's what it is......more like a ski action though with legs going side to side) where I do a low effort (level 4) for 1 min and then a high effort (level 10) for 1 min.

What are good things to do? How often and how long should I be doing it for it to be effective?

Replies

• Twiztedbeing
    Twiztedbeing Posts: 389
    Options
    Honestly, if you are close to your goals and have been doing mostly cardio, you need to switch to weight training. Just push yourself hard enough on the machines that your heart rate is as high as running and not only will you lose weight, but define yourself. Weight training burns more than cardio. A quick change like this could make you lose anywhere from 5-10lbs in a month.
  • Thunderfan66
    Thunderfan66 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I do weight training as well, but I just wanted to know how to make the most efficient use of my time regarding cardio when I do it. Sometimes I only have time to call into the gym for half an hour....I'd rather do some intervals and burn as many calories as possible because I wouldn't achieve much in the weights room in half an hour (IMO anyway).