i need help

Options
i am suppose to be on a low fat low, cholesterol diet and drop about 25 lbs.
the problem is my dr's office did not give me any guideline!
i need to get my bad cholesterol down 65 pts.

it looks like my problem with my diet is carbs now.
i am going over my carbs before i eat all my calories.
what do i need to do?

i am working out in wii fit and have lose weight on it.
i am doing great on that so far...today was day 54!

i need to go back to the dr's office to get my blood drawn again & check the cholesterol.
i read up on lowering cholesterol at the library...and what i learned is oat bran, flax, and fiber is good for erasing bad cholesterol...but i need to figure out how to work it into my meals.

Replies

• tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    Options
    some of the best foods to lower cholesterol are beans, pears (skin on), oatmeal, brown rice, apples (skin on), grapes (the darker the better), walnuts (although only a moderate amount as they are higher in calories than other options).

work some of these foods into your diet, and watch other forms of cholesterol, alot in processed food. If you eat pasta make it whole wheat pasta not white, use brown rice, not white.

Small changes can make a big difference..

also, exercise can help raise the good cholesterol as well.
  • Demetria
    Options

what do i need to do?

i need to go back to the dr's office to get my blood drawn again & check the cholesterol.
    i read up on lowering cholesterol at the library...and what i learned is oat bran, flax, and fiber is good for erasing bad cholesterol...but i need to figure out how to work it into my meals.

Wow, your doctor told you to be on a low fat diet, lower your cholesterol yet didn't give you any help as to how to accomplish them? That's a major disservice if you ask me. I would let your doc know how you feel. If your insurance will cover it, I would suggest seeing a nutritionist to give you specific guidelines.

If not, there are tons of websites to go to and here.

Minor correction you can't erase bad cholesterol, you can lower your level of it. Mainly eating "whole" foods not processed, prepared boxed, canned foods.

READING FOOD LABELS IS VERY IMPORTANT, too.

hth,
    Demetria
  • Linsmom
    Options

what do i need to do?

Wow, your doctor told you to be on a low fat diet, lower your cholesterol yet didn't give you any help as to how to accomplish them? That's a major disservice if you ask me. I would let your doc know how you feel. If your insurance will cover it, I would suggest seeing a nutritionist to give you specific guidelines.

If not, there are tons of websites to go to and here.

Minor correction you can't erase bad cholesterol, you can lower your level of it. Mainly eating "whole" foods not processed, prepared boxed, canned foods.

READING FOOD LABELS IS VERY IMPORTANT, too.

hth,
    Demetria

well, actually, i only saw the LPN....the nurse popped in the exam room and asked if wanted to see her instead of waiting longer to see the dr...so i figured that would be okay...she just had a baby a few mos. after me, so figured that she would help me KWIM?
    she said You can try WW.... so i looked into that and after seeing how much it cost, i was p!$$ed.
    i have insurance, so i will take up the suggestion on seeing a nutrionalist.
    thank you so much for your reply!
  • missbabybee
    Options
    I'm surprised your doctor didn't refer you to a nutritionist. I think it's an important part of learning to live a new healthy lifestyle. It seems corny, but we aren't all taught how to spread your required calories in a day. They tell us how much to have, but we don't always know how much of what to eat. For example, how much proteins should you eat and how much dark greens? How much grains should you have? I'm really new at eating halthy and my nutritionist referred me to the following websites:

http://www.mypyramid.gov/
    http://www.nwcr.ws/

You can find a lot of information in here. As far as working more whole grains into your diet, try integrating them into your current meals. For instance, you can add flaxseed to your oatmeal or multigrain pancakes. You can sprinkle it on top of your salads. As you get used to the textures, you can experiment more with adding it to yogurt and stuff.

Oh, and another great place to look for whole grain ideas is in the food & recipe section of MFP. Lots of good finds there!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    You can track cholesterol in your diary here.

My husband is on low fat, low carb, low cholesterol diet too. Basically, his doctor told him to avoid dairy, shrimp, and red meat. He uses Eggstirs (eggwhites-no fat, no cholesterol), soy milk (on dr's orders), fish oil capsules, nuts and loads of veggies to help the process. Minimal grain carbs and if he does eat them, it's brown rice and whole wheat pastas and breads. She also told him to limit his daily cholesterol intake to 200 per day, if possible.
  • CaGinger
    CaGinger Posts: 180 Member
    Options

what do i need to do?

Call your doctor and ask him for a referal to a nutritionist so you can have the tools to help you. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Linsmom
    Options

My husband is on low fat, low carb, low cholesterol diet too. Basically, his doctor told him to avoid dairy, shrimp, and red meat. He uses Eggstirs (eggwhites-no fat, no cholesterol), soy milk (on dr's orders), fish oil capsules, nuts and loads of veggies to help the process. Minimal grain carbs and if he does eat them, it's brown rice and whole wheat pastas and breads. She also told him to limit his daily cholesterol intake to 200 per day, if possible.

Thank You!
    I was not even told to keep it under 200 per day!
    I already do wheat bread and no red meats...or pork...just chicken tenderloin or breast...some turkey breast. Pasta is my weakness! I love, love, love my pasta!
    I eat wheat pasta sometimes and sometimes the regular. And always make it meatless, but hubby whines that he needs meat in his, so then I buy Sweet Italian Turkey links when he eats with us.
    I think I need to go back to the fish caps. I took them while I was pregnant.
  • Linsmom
    Options

Oh, that's great! how do I get it on My Food Log?
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Go to My Home > Settings and click on Diary Settings. There you can choose which nutrients to track, just click on the arrow in any box and it will give you a drop down menu.

This might also help: http://www.healthlinkbc.ca/healthfiles/hfile68a.stm