11 year old exercising

Options
thisisjl
thisisjl Posts: 1,074 Member
Ok a little bit of back story before I ask my question. I'm caring for my sisters 3 children for 6 weeks because of a situation she's in. Her oldest daughter age 11 1/2 went to the doctor for her physical just before coming out here and the Dr was concerned about her weight she is 145 pounds at 5'1". She plays softball and is active at home but her eatting habits were out of control. She has made an effort to be healthier and know's it's in her best interests to limit the amount of food she eats. She has a single serving of most of what I put on the table for meals if she wants extra veggies or fruit within limits I'm fine with that, and snacks are 1 in between meals preferably healthy but they are kids they do get some junk (ice cream, fruit snacks etc) but they are limited. They've all been coming to the Y with me and they've been swimming while I work out either doing laps or upstairs in the gym. She's been swimming laps with me more at a leisurly pace but I'm not going to complain as long as she is moving. Today she decided she wanted to work out upstairs on the cardio equipment with me and now comes the question if you are still with me after all this ;-)

She did an orientation to learn the machines she can use everything but the treadmill because of the motor in it. She worked out for about 40 minutes on the different ellipticals and bikes while I was working out with my personal trainer. Then she decided to spend about another 25 mintues upstairs with me while I finished my cardio program. I told her then she had to be done and go downstairs and hang out until her brother and sister were done swimming (she'd have normally joined them but its TOM for her) I know she isn't hard core working out but she is exercising I don't want her to over do it at 11 how much should she be working out on the cardio equip? Should I let her do it as long as she wants or should I limit her? She over heard me joking with her mom saying HAHA you're not going to recognize your daughter when she comes home because she's going to be ripped because I was proud of the effort she was putting into eatting healthy and swimming laps. She mentioned this to me today when she was working out, I don't want her thinking I expect her to kill herself working out or that I'll be disappointed with her if she doesn't get more fit I mean she is only here for another 5 weeks it's not going to happen over night.

Replies

• new_blossom
    new_blossom Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Well, I think it is great that you are giving them support right now for your sister. She obviously looks up to you and may want to make you happy and her mom happy. I really am surprised that the gym lets her use the equipment. Most places do not allow that at such a young age. But you are watching her and that should be OK. Maybe just let her know that focusing on our bodies is good, but not to let it be the most important thing in her life. I do believe kids follow our actions. So, I would think you need to make sure you are not "over" doing it in front of her. If adults are constantly worried about what they look like, or make it seem that "beauty" or being "skinny" is top of the list, kids tend to want to make the adult happy, by following in their footsteps. I would just sit down and have a talk to her and let her know it is good to be healthy, but she is a kid and needs to worry about kids things and have fun and enjoy appropriate age things to do. I would not put all focus on getting fit and eating right. Kids will soak up your example naturally. And I think some exercise is good, if she is not getting it otherwise during the week. 5 weeks will make a difference in the way she feels mentally and I think physically as well.
  • thisisjl
    Options
    The YMCA allows 10-12 year olds to use the stair steppers, ellipticals and bikes then 13-15 gets to use a few more things then 15-17 they can start using weights, 18 they can start using the treadmill. At each level they have to go through an orientation for the new equipment. As for my weight loss I don't make it the most important thing I cook healthy for the entire family I will make an extra dish for myself rather than eatting salt potatoes I'll make myself some minibow tie pasta and veggies from Schwans and if they want it they can but they don't have to eat the healthier choice. I made them sloppy joes earlier I ate with them but only had one and passed on the chips. As for working out thats my biggest concern because when I work out I work out no question I don't want her to do the same. Logging and obsession with MFP is done out of their eyes. She does get exercise outside of the YMCA as well. I picked up a few cheap bikes at garage sales when I knew they'd be coming so I wouldn't have 5 kids (I have two) fighting over 2 bikes.
  • msshay2009
    Options
    I think I agree with new_blossom for the most part. It's important to stress the importance of healthy eating and physical activity. When we focus on this, the physical changes are going to happen gradually ANYWAY. And if you're modeling this behavior is gonna be better than just telling her. Hopefully, when she goes back with her mom, she may be able to continue.
  • thisisjl
    Options
    I guess my question is, after all that back story, should I limit her to 30 minutes or should I let her work out 45-75 mintues with me?
  • hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I would say she will hit it hard for a short period, then either her focus will wane or her body will catch up with her. What I find ironic is when we were kids(I'm 37) we were out all day everyday, running, cycling, building/destroying things & that was normal, I guess what I am trying to say is her energy levels are high because of her age, leave her burn it off :)

Russ
  • Bmjnash
    Bmjnash Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I would try to find info online , but if your worried it wouldnt hurt to limit. At a young age weight disorderds can happen easy ( as with any age) so I would stress healtly . Girls are always watching. Swimming is a excellent work out too. So maybe every other day she has to swim and play with the other kids.
  • denisebme
    denisebme Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    You should let her exercise as long as she's interested in exercising, as long as she is properly hydrated and having fun. It's great that you are modeling healthy behavior for her!
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I guess my question is, after all that back story, should I limit her to 30 minutes or should I let her work out 45-75 mintues with me?
    At age 7 my daughter was doing an hour of gymnastics, at age 11 an hour of track running, and now at 13 she is doing an hour of dance (street modern jazz and disco), I'd say so long as YOU don't push her, she's fine. She'll mostly likely stop or slow down on her own without anyone pushing her to 'go for the burn' or what ever the current trendy phrase is.
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't limit her its not as if shes going hell for leather at an intense pace

When i was around that age, many years ago we would go and play rugby in the park for 3-4 hours at a time, and only stopping when you were called in for food

And my son when he was 11 doing athletics, that would be 45min - 1 hour sessions twice a week and he was swimming 3-4 times a week for an hour a time
  • thisisjl
    Options
    I would try to find info online , but if your worried it wouldnt hurt to limit. At a young age weight disorderds can happen easy ( as with any age) so I would stress healtly . Girls are always watching. Swimming is a excellent work out too. So maybe every other day she has to swim and play with the other kids.

THIS ^^ is my worry that she'll start thinking she must take the weight off must work harder must be skinny etc She thinks it's great she gets to spend time with me upstairs it'll give us bonding time too.
  • naceto
    naceto Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I would check with her family doctor. My son is 14 now, but has been a member at our gym for a couple of years now, with no problems. Just to be sure I talked to his doc, who cleared him. The important thing, I was told, is to make sure the child understands their own physical limitations, and signs of exhaustion and dehydration.
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    I wish to say she is so lucky to have an auntie like you! she is learning behaviour now that will stand her well for the rest of her life,I think at 11 and providing there are no underlieing health problems she can move pretty much as she pleases let her see you vegging out in front of the TV for awhile sometimes with a pizza too,we all do that sometimes and its ok,as long as it isint all the time!Well done you are a fabulous auntie!
  • justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't limit her...

unless you see that she is obviously overdoing it... just like anything...

my 12 year old rides bikes/hikes/hits the gym with me and is fully capable of doing 35 miles in a day biking... so... I don't think hitting the elepticals for 75 mins a day will hurt her...

in our house we talk about fit/unfit rather than skinney/fat... I talk about how I am working on fitness...

my 15 yo has been going to the gym with me for 5 years now... I think the only time we actually TALK is while one of us is spotting the other ;) I learn a lot about girls talking to him while he is spotting me ;)
  • thisisjl
    Options
    Don't get me wrong she is doing kid stuff too! She is playing out in the trampoline, riding bikes with my 11 year old, swimming 4-5 days a week for 2 hours a day which will probably start getting cut down if she wants to work out with me too. I go to the gym 5-6 days a week and tomorrow she told me she wants to get up in the morning when I get off work and go again with me because I told the kids we couldn't go tomorrow night swimming because the Y closes at 4pm and I'll be sleeping until probably 2-3. I just don't want her thinking my heavy work outs are normal for her age. I'll talk to her if I see a problem, I guess I just thought I'd get your opinions. I'll talk to her mom too and see what she thinks.
  • justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Don't get me wrong she is doing kid stuff too! She is playing out in the trampoline, riding bikes with my 11 year old, swimming 4-5 days a week for 2 hours a day which will probably start getting cut down if she wants to work out with me too. I go to the gym 5-6 days a week and tomorrow she told me she wants to get up in the morning when I get off work and go again with me because I told the kids we couldn't go tomorrow night swimming because the Y closes at 4pm and I'll be sleeping until probably 2-3. I just don't want her thinking my heavy work outs are normal for her age. I'll talk to her if I see a problem, I guess I just thought I'd get your opinions. I'll talk to her mom too and see what she thinks.

honestly... I think it is really hard to overdo it... she may just be liking the added activity and will probably want to cut back soon...

:)
  • ifonly49
    ifonly49 Posts: 8
    Options
    There is no reason why the young lady shouldn't be exercising, BUT, i must stress that at a young tender age of 11 years, her main exercising should be from playing out with friends, bike riding out side, any sort of sport activity that children should be involved in... Working out in a gym environment wont do her any harm, BUT again i must stress that under no circumstances should she be lifting any weights what so ever... At present her bones are a tough fibrous tissue and serious damage can because from lifting weights too early,,, Her bone will not ossify until the earliest of age 18 to the latest of age 25... so in all honesty weight lifting should be left until the latter.. (Ossify means become actual bone) Again whilst using the cardio machines posture is of the utmost importance, ensuring that her body alignment is correct, (knees in line with toes, hips in line with knees, shoulders back and down and abs pulled in to protect her spine) Don't discourage her from using the gym, keep it to a min of 2 times a week for 1 hour each time, but do encourage her to get out and play and mix with her friends and do fun stuff.... Re education is all that is required with eating habits, which is best done now before its too late... Also exercise whether gained from the gym or kids activities will suppress her appetite... Again tho remember most children will carry what is called puppy fat and do take it up with them as they grow....One other thing it is important that she also drinks lots of water, not only does she need water as the body is predominantly made up of water this will also help suppress the appetite as the body can and will confuse hunger with thirst.. The rule of thumb is when feeling hungry drink water and if still hungry 20 mins later then food is required... We do not drink enough water and this is one of the main causes of weight gain.
  • satxtrap
    satxtrap Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'll share some of my experience. First some background stuff. :) My 17 yr. old daughter was told by our family doctor to watch her weight. She to is 145 lbs. At 5'4" she's been an athlete for a very long time. She's done 11 years of swim team, she's on varsity swim and polo, did 5 years of club and school volleyball, and has abs that are the envy of the locker room. If she's even 10% body fat I'd be floored. My point is that her doctor looked at her weight only from a BMI perspective. At her height and weight she's at the very top of the "normal" scale and the doctor was warning her that she could end up in the overweight category. Fortunately my daughter is smart enough to know that she's nowhere near any sort of weight control issue. I'm bringing this up just to remind folks that they need to take this into consideration when talking with the doctor. (Sometimes they scare me when they rely on charts instead of looking at the person.) Anyhow, to your main question.

In my completely uneducated opinion, I believe that as long as time is taken to educate her on eating healthy and why its important that she consume enough calories to properly fuel her workouts she'll be fine. The tough part is trying to make it fun so they listen, learn, and are motivated to put it into practice. When they're young they already know it all, right? Once armed with some knowledge help her look at her what she's doing in the gym and understand where they fit in her goals. Do some math with calories consumed, calories burned, and calories needed just to function normally every day. She'll probably see that she won't have to put in quite as much effort and will (hopefully) find that it's more enjoyable in the long run.

I ran on a bit. :p I hope some of it was helpful.
  • LinaBo
    LinaBo Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I think with kids, the focus should be more on activities that are FUN, that get them exercising, but without having them thinking of it so much as "cardio" or a "strength workout". I would just plain get her off of the cardio machines, period. There's too much potential for a dependency on numbers: counting calories, minutes, etc... at too young of an age. Sports-type stuff is probably best, even if it's playing catch or kicking a ball around. Swimming can actually build quite a bit of muscle, too. In an ideal, healthy society, we as adults would have been engaging in activities like this all along, without ever needing to use solitary cardio machines to burn off our indulgences, later.

Because her body is still developing, and especially given that she's in the middle of puberty, her body really can't be deprived of sufficient nutrients needed for growth, so change should probably be gradual. I would explain this to her, that because her body is still growing, losing the weight too fast by eating too much less than her energy expenditure is probably doing her more harm than keeping a bit of extra weight on for a bit longer. She needs to know that there is more to it than being skinny or fat, and that she still needs to eat enough dietary macro and micronutrients (dietary fat, included; very important for brain health), so all of her organs, bones, muscles, skin, etc are healthy. She'll have better odds of maintaining her lifestyle change if it happens gradually, too, instead of losing the weight in a crash course.
  • ifonly49
    ifonly49 Posts: 8
    Options
    I'll share some of my experience. First some background stuff. :) My 17 yr. old daughter was told by our family doctor to watch her weight. She to is 145 lbs. At 5'4" she's been an athlete for a very long time. She's done 11 years of swim team, she's on varsity swim and polo, did 5 years of club and school volleyball, and has abs that are the envy of the locker room. If she's even 10% body fat I'd be floored. My point is that her doctor looked at her weight only from a BMI perspective. At her height and weight she's at the very top of the "normal" scale and the doctor was warning her that she could end up in the overweight category. Fortunately my daughter is smart enough to know that she's nowhere near any sort of weight control issue. I'm bringing this up just to remind folks that they need to take this into consideration when talking with the doctor. (Sometimes they scare me when they rely on charts instead of looking at the person.) Anyhow, to your main question.

In my completely uneducated opinion, I believe that as long as time is taken to educate her on eating healthy and why its important that she consume enough calories to properly fuel her workouts she'll be fine. The tough part is trying to make it fun so they listen, learn, and are motivated to put it into practice. When they're young they already know it all, right? Once armed with some knowledge help her look at her what she's doing in the gym and understand where they fit in her goals. Do some math with calories consumed, calories burned, and calories needed just to function normally every day. She'll probably see that she won't have to put in quite as much effort and will (hopefully) find that it's more enjoyable in the long run.

I ran on a bit. :p I hope some of it was helpful.
    Sounds to me as tho the GP didn't ask the right questions in the first place therefore not taking into account Muscle mass which as we all know is so much heavier than body fat... Gp's do make me wild with there assumptions and not facts