Falafel!

Options
courtney_love2001
courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
I was drawn to this recipe because of the pretty picture, but it ended up being delicious! Completely vegetarian too! I was very skeptical because I am not vegetarian and I feel like falafel is....hippie food :happy: But I was pleasantly surprised. Low cal + packed with fiber +tasty!

The only thing I changed was instead of frying I baked the fritters at 350 for about 30 minutes, flipping halfway through. Oh and I also made 6 giant fritters instead of tiny hush puppy sized ones. You MUST have tzatziki (there's a recipe on the same page as the falafel recipe, or I bought some from the market that was really good) to go along with these...it makes the dish! I put two fritters in a pita with lettuce, bell pepper, tomato, and tzatziki. MMM!

http://dinnerwithjulie.com/2008/05/06/day-127-falafel/

Replies

• AlannaPie
    AlannaPie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    SWEET! I read the recipe immediately, and I was about to come back to you and ask if I could bake it. Oil just adds way too much. Thank you!
  • Momma2four
    Momma2four Posts: 1,534
    Options
    Sounds good thanks for sharing
  • belldandy1
    belldandy1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Is there any way to cook a bunch in advance and freeze or put in the fridge for later? Also did you use the whole wheat or all purpose flour?
  • LauraGUnit
    Options
    This is perfect! Thanks for sharing. I just got a 9 cup Cuisinart Food Processor and this might be just the recipe to begin it's active life!
  • Lettuce13
    Options
    Thanks for the great recipe!
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    I would definitely think that you could freeze them before or after. I made them up tonight and cooked them, and I put the leftovers in the freezer. I hope they turn out ok when I unthaw them, but I can't see why they wouldn't be fine.

I used the all purpose flour...but I also read where you could use chickpea flour, so I'm assuming whole wheat would be fine as well. Just tailor it to fit what you want! That's what I did at least!
  • fitnfab427
    fitnfab427 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This is great! I'm going to try it with my roomie on our "sunday din night". CAnt' wait

Thanks for sharing