Is Insanity too difficult if you are very overweight?

I am thinking of starting Insanity but fear that it nay be too much for me. Has anyone done it who was very overweight?

Replies

• jenkidney
    jenkidney Posts: 149 Member
    I'm interested in people's responses too. I'd like to try it, but I'm thinking I'm a bit too big in the middle still...
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Was spin class too intense for me at 300lb? Yes if i tried to do what the instructor was doing

I'm now doing what the instructor does, maybe not at such an intense pace as hes about 25 and im 50 this year
    im also still obese and the instructor is lean and supper fit

Go at your own pace if you cant keep up .........pause take a break and come back to it

I tried C25K (couch to 5k) first session was a 30 sec run if i remember right and i almost collapsed ........I'm now doing 10k non stop running at a slow pace admittedly so from January 2012 no running at all, to June 17th 2012 fathers day I ran a 10k race

Do what you can at your own pace but always push yourself a little if you think you can do a bit more then do it :drinker:

Good luck to you
  • Anybody can do insanity! You just go at your own pace and build up week by week. A friend of mine is slightly overweight and lost 4kg in the first two weeks and it's still dropping off him! It really works and the results ate amazing!
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    but I'm thinking I'm a bit too big in the middle still...

I don't mean to sound harsh or to belittle you.............if you keep thinking this, your going to stay a bit big in the middle

I used to think spin class was for fit people .....ITS FOR PEOPLE WHO WANT TO BECOME FIT

GO FOR IT :drinker:
  • gregavila
    gregavila Posts: 723 Member
    There is no doubt that Insanity is intense, but having done portions of it I think is that way no matter what shape or condition you are in. insanity is definitely an intense cardio workout and does have some higher impact components to it. However, as a Beachbody Coach and user of their workouts what I have learned is that you can modify the workouts to match your abilities and still see the progress and results from them.

I still have to take breaks in the workouts and there are portions of Insanity I modify due to my knees, but every workout I get a little fitter and stronger.

I'm happy to answer any other questions you might have.

Greg
  • luzmidd
    luzmidd Posts: 154 Member
    Insanity is a crazy workout! And it is really difficult, no jokes. But anyone can do it! Just work yourself up... You might not be ripped in 60 days and you won't be able to keep up with the super fit people in the video, but work towards it.

My first day of insanity took me 65 minutes instead of 45, I had to pause to catch my breath so many times.
    I still can't do the stuff where push ups are involved. When they do the push up exercises, I just do as many lady push ups as I can.

I know it sounds silly, but my aim is, at the end of the year, to be able to keep up with the DVD 100% with only his breaks, none of my own!

And remember to eat something about 45 minutes before you start, trust me, you will need it!
  • luzmidd
    luzmidd Posts: 154 Member
    Sorry, only saw after posting that my reply and Greg's reply is sort of the same, except mine is the lady version! :-)
  • TheMiddlePath
    TheMiddlePath Posts: 230 Member
    I agree with all of the above but add one caveat...if you get discouraged easily 'because you're not keeping up' then don't set yourself up for failure.

The BEST exercise is the one you like and will stick to. If you are motivated by the challenge...GO FOR IT!!!! Just do all you can to set yourself up for success because you deserve it!!!
  • It was really hard for me personally ...
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Lot of high impact work in it. And yes there is such a thing as too heavy for high impact.
  • I agree! I am just finishing my first month and I have to modify (particularly the jumps), but I am getting amazing results by pushing myself to do the best workout I can do. Everyday, every time I get a little better. I plan on doing 2-3 rounds, perhaps by the time I hit the third I'll be keeping up. The important thing is that I'm not dropping out.
  • When i started insanity i was 5'4" and 200 lbs.
    It is HARD but if you take it on your own pace you CAN DO IT. I could not do the high jumps and some other things so i ran in place or modified what they were doing. For example do wall push ups if you can't do real ones.. Slowly but surely you will get better. I'm in month 2 now with 2 weeks to go. I still hurt and i still feel like puking some days but I haven't quit!!! I will do another round after i finish round one and am so proud of myself. I am also 49 years old and my knee problem ( torn meniscus ) is completely pain free!
    DO IT!
  • Hi did you decide to try insanity yet? I also have been doing Les Mills Combat and I LOVE it! Less jumping lots of punching and kicking and some hand weights! Let me know if you need help I am a coach.

Deb
  • UticaBoy51
    UticaBoy51 Posts: 344 Member
    Almost all workouts are scalable, do the best you can and you will be right there in no time. Find a reason to succeed. Good luck. and good for you.
  • Whipppets
    Whipppets Posts: 267
    I think its best to start with easier exercises first..
    Walking 4 miles
    Zumba at your own pace
    30 minute spin classes again at your own pace

Then you graduate to insanity, p90x , body pump, hour spin..
  • krissy_krossy
    krissy_krossy Posts: 307 Member
    I tried it (as well as 30DS and such) and, even though I wasn't THAT overweight at the time (maybe only by 10 pounds then,) I was definitely extremely out of shape. I'm working out at the gym at my own pace until I'm more in shape because I fall over after like, 3 push ups.

ETA: Oh, and a lot of those videos seem pretty hard on some joints. I have bad knees (I get constant pain for a month or so, every few months. It even hurts to just stand or walk) and it definitely didn't help.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    IMO, I believe you should be used to exercising and have atleast an average fitness level before starting it, else you'll set yourself up for injuries
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    I started at 300 pounds losing weight

I've dropped to about 217 at my lowest

Currently hanging out in 220ish land and I started insanity 2 days ago

I like to say that I am fairly in "good-enough" shape to start, but it's still difficult, not impossible and if you've exercised enough, you kinda know how to modify moves and have the workout still be effective

just take your time, don't worry about keeping up, be safe, have fun, you'll burn calories and that's what we want

good luck
  • raiderrodney
    raiderrodney Posts: 617 Member
    I'd say just do it ;) If you only make it 10 minutes before needing a break, who cares? Shoot for 12 minutes next time! Any workout is better than no workout so just jump in there and set some goals, good luck :)
  • sclaibo
    sclaibo Posts: 136 Member
    It is definitely a beast for even those who are in great shape. I do insanity and the best thing to get through the workout is to pace yourself. Don't go as fast as they can if you can't. Your speed and stamina will increase as time goes on. Just don't give up. Keep at it and it will get better!