Olympic Lifts

Options
This is mainly aimed at those who do the olympic lifts as well as ones such as squat/bench/deadlift/rows/OHP etc etc

I want to get into these in the future, they look pretty damn awesome to perform! I'd like to get a trainer show me because they look quite hard, and my balance is crap! Until then, (I don't have the money for a trainer right now) I'm just wondering if there are any exercises I can do right now to help make it easier for me when I do. For example; overhead squats look like they might be useful, and I don't do them currently.
Basically ways to break the lifts into smaller parts (that I can do on my own) so it's just not so hard when I get a trainer.

Also, what does your lifting schedule look like at the moment. For me I do an upper / lower split on Mon/Tues, and Thurs/Fri with the main compound lifts and a few isolations. I'm wondering what would be the best way to fit it in with the oly lifts too as they really use the full body!

My main goals are strength related. I do bulk/cut cycles to gain muscle / lose fat but that's not my main focus.

Replies

• becon1022
    becon1022 Posts: 39
    Options
    start off light (like just the bar) if you have never overhead squat before (make sure you keep your core super tight & arms locked overhead). start doing deadlifts (not stiff legged ones) & front squats . you'll start in a deadlift for most Oly lifts so being strong & explosive from your deadlift will help, & front squats will help with coming up from your catch. watch videos, tons of instructional videos out there & videos of people actually doing the lifts. when you do get a trainer ask them to do it first, just to make sure they know how. if you know/see any Oly lifters at your gym watch them & ask them for advice. do plyometric, sprints these will help with your speed/explosivenss during the move, Oly lifts are more about speed/explosiveness than just pure strength. start losing up those hips & shoulder blades & good luck they are a great full body move even hits in the cardio arena you will see (since they are such an explosive move they'll help make your running faster, esp your start/stop).
  • spartacus69
    spartacus69 Posts: 235
    Options
    Start with the Burgener warm-up; use a broomstick or pvc pipe and work up to using a bar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oG11fZ0TR8

TeamUSA Weightlifting has some nice videos with a breakdown for training.

Clean & Jerk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc-0lFV1KWQ

Snatch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rZV5P3cAa4

Back & Front squats for strength training: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt9otTWuaOQ

As a beginner to Oly lifting, I've been told to start with power cleans and hang snatches, so I'll do that for a few weeks. I'm doing them first in my workout, ahead of a 5x5 type routine.

Example A:
    Power Clean & Push Press
    Back Squats
    Flat Bench
    Barbell Rows

Example B:
    Hang Power Snatch and Overhead Squat
    Incline Bench
    Front Squats
    Pull-Ups
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    start off light (like just the bar) if you have never overhead squat before (make sure you keep your core super tight & arms locked overhead). start doing deadlifts (not stiff legged ones) & front squats . you'll start in a deadlift for most Oly lifts so being strong & explosive from your deadlift will help, & front squats will help with coming up from your catch. watch videos, tons of instructional videos out there & videos of people actually doing the lifts. when you do get a trainer ask them to do it first, just to make sure they know how. if you know/see any Oly lifters at your gym watch them & ask them for advice. do plyometric, sprints these will help with your speed/explosivenss during the move, Oly lifts are more about speed/explosiveness than just pure strength. start losing up those hips & shoulder blades & good luck they are a great full body move even hits in the cardio arena you will see (since they are such an explosive move they'll help make your running faster, esp your start/stop).

Thank you for the advice :) Unfortunately I've only seen somebody do olympic lifts in my gym around 3 times in 2 years so asking someone is out of the question, and it's why I want to get a trainer.
    I already do deadlifts :D but will start practising front and overhead squats soon. Already started looking at youtube instructional videos.

What does your training routine look like / what lifts do you do on what days?
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    Options
    Start with the Burgener warm-up; use a broomstick or pvc pipe and work up to using a bar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oG11fZ0TR8

TeamUSA Weightlifting has some nice videos with a breakdown for training.

Clean & Jerk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc-0lFV1KWQ

Snatch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rZV5P3cAa4

Back & Front squats for strength training: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt9otTWuaOQ

As a beginner to Oly lifting, I've been told to start with power cleans and hang snatches, so I'll do that for a few weeks. I'm doing them first in my workout, ahead of a 5x5 type routine.

Example A:
    Power Clean & Push Press
    Back Squats
    Flat Bench
    Barbell Rows

Example B:
    Hang Power Snatch and Overhead Squat
    Incline Bench
    Front Squats
    Pull-Ups

Thanks for the links and training routine example :) The warm-up video, and last link look good :smile: can't view the 2nd and 3rd in the UK though :(
    Do you do workout A and B next to each other (eg: mon & tues) or a rest day in between? I ask because I could imagine soreness from say back squats affecting front squats etc in the second workout.
  • becon1022
    Options
    you could fit them into your split, depends on how serious you wnat to get into doing them. you could warm-up with light isolation moves than do your cleans & snatches, next day do your compound movements. you could also divide them, do cleans one day & snatches the next, i would do them first & i just wouldnt do deadlifts if my lift started from the floor or squats if i caught the lift at the bottom (of course dont do presses if you did clean & jerks). if you are going to get a trainer they will probably set you up a schedule. if you really get serious into oly lifts i would go to a oly instructor/trainer. get you ready for your jerks do push-presses, push-jerks, & split jerks (on your split jerks you can set up a tape line & foot spotting to make sure you land your feet in the right postion, feet go back to starting postion before lowering the bar, also make sure the bar is straight over head (on all presses) not out in front). good luck they will diff take your workouts to a whole new level.
  • becon1022
    Options
    burgener does some instructional vidoes on crossfit website. go to crossfit.com, go to the workout demos, click on oly lifts he has tons on there all versions from the full movements, hang, power, clean & jerk, ect. also they have a link to his website & the burgener warm-up that was mentioned.
  • hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I am not a lifter but am led to believe that "goblet squats" were created by a strength coach as a near perfect way to teach correct squatting form.

Russ
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    Options
    Thanks :) I would definately go with a oly lift instructor so they know what they're doing.

Until then I was thinking of a 3day split? Taking a rest day after the 3 days, and in between if necessary in the beginning if I'm sore. Something like,

Workout A: (mostly squatting and shoulder press movements)
    OHP, back squats, push press/split jerks, front squats, overhead squats.

Workout B: (chest, triceps and some upper back exercises)
    bench press, chest flyes, lat pull down / pull ups, reverse pec deck

Workout C:
    Deadlifts, barbell rows, hang cleans, upright rows.

Then when I've got all the new exercises from this sorted, and I can get a trainer I will look into the full movements and can adjust the routine again then.
    How does this one sound to everyone?
  • becon1022
    Options
    workout B & C look fine but maybe for workout A i would do back squats, power cleans or power snatch, push press or split jerk, kettlebell swings, box jumps(for explosiveness). doing all 3 squats versions seem a little to much plus hang cleans you are doing front squats again. you could do leg extension/ leg curls/air squats if you need to hit them more. just looks like you would be killing your legs & shoulders. but your splits/days off look good & if you do change workout A that would give you two oly lift days
  • CWSpiegel
    CWSpiegel Posts: 114
    Options
    Just a heads up.

Most "globo" gyms won't let you do Oly lifts, with or without a trainer, because of the inherent risk of injury with explosive-complex moves. I know when I was at Gold's, they would only allow Oly lifts on Sunday before 8 am to discourage others from doing them, and everyone lifting had to pay an extra $5 to cover the trainers being there. Also, make sure you use bumper plates instead of iron/steel ones. You will drop weight, especially in the beginning.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    Options
    workout B & C look fine but maybe for workout A i would do back squats, power cleans or power snatch, push press or split jerk, kettlebell swings, box jumps(for explosiveness). doing all 3 squats versions seem a little to much plus hang cleans you are doing front squats again. you could do leg extension/ leg curls/air squats if you need to hit them more. just looks like you would be killing your legs & shoulders. but your splits/days off look good & if you do change workout A that would give you two oly lift days

Thank you for the suggestions :happy: I don't like the idea of doing power snatch yet because of the technique and the fact I won't have a trainer just yet. Power cleans look good :) The reason I wanted to do the other versions on squats, especially overhead was the get the balance sorted for that, as I don't think mine is that great, and it should help when transitioning to the actual lifts. I was only thinking of doing a few sets for that though, not the full 5 like I do for most exercises. So maybe just switch front squats + hang cleans for power cleans? Include some box jumps also (they look good), and maybe a couple sets of overhead?
    Just a heads up.

Most "globo" gyms won't let you do Oly lifts, with or without a trainer, because of the inherent risk of injury with explosive-complex moves. I know when I was at Gold's, they would only allow Oly lifts on Sunday before 8 am to discourage others from doing them, and everyone lifting had to pay an extra $5 to cover the trainers being there. Also, make sure you use bumper plates instead of iron/steel ones. You will drop weight, especially in the beginning.

I'm not at a "globo" gym (don't know what that is) but my gym's really laid back. Probably not the best thing H&S-wise but they don't really care what you do at all. We don't have bumper plates or trainers employed at the gym, it's just the people who run it. - I'd be going elsewhere for a trainer in oly lifts.

I won't be doing the full lifts without a trainer though, (I'm not a taking huge risks type person lol) Will just be doing the exercises mentioned above, that will help for when I do get a trainer and start doing the full lifts. My bf trains with me most days, so I won't be even doing those lifts alone.
  • becon1022
    Options
    globo just means like la fitness, bally, gold's, ect. you can just simply switch out back squats & OH squats week to week or do OH squats with WRKOT B esp since you are using it more as balance & practice work then strength

you could also maybe do something like this:

Week 1: WRKOT A: back squats, power cleans, swings, push press, box jump
    WRKOT C: deadlifts, hang cleans, rows, upright rows then the next week do something like this:

Week 2: WRKOT A: front squats, full clean(start from floor catch in a squat aka squat cleans), split jerk, concept 2 rower
    WRKOT C: deadlift highpulls, hang power clean, pull-ups or rows, box jumps or shuttle runs

Week 3: WRKOT A: OH squats, medacine ball cleans (any version), push jerks or back rack jerks, burpees
    WRKOT C: deadlifts, thrusters(bar in rack postion squat coming straight up into a press), body rows, ? if you want a 4th chose one ?

of course you can do any type of movements/lifts & switch out the more cardio types (shuttle runs, concept 2, burpees) for lifts.

WRKOT B: is fine you can change it up to keep it fresh but good.

play around see what works for you/what you like its your wrkot & you know you best right. just hope it gives you some ideas/helps you out some
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    Options
    globo just means like la fitness, bally, gold's, ect. you can just simply switch out back squats & OH squats week to week or do OH squats with WRKOT B esp since you are using it more as balance & practice work then strength

you could also maybe do something like this:

Week 1: WRKOT A: back squats, power cleans, swings, push press, box jump
    WRKOT C: deadlifts, hang cleans, rows, upright rows then the next week do something like this:

Week 2: WRKOT A: front squats, full clean(start from floor catch in a squat aka squat cleans), split jerk, concept 2 rower
    WRKOT C: deadlift highpulls, hang power clean, pull-ups or rows, box jumps or shuttle runs

Week 3: WRKOT A: OH squats, medacine ball cleans (any version), push jerks or back rack jerks, burpees
    WRKOT C: deadlifts, thrusters(bar in rack postion squat coming straight up into a press), body rows, ? if you want a 4th chose one ?

of course you can do any type of movements/lifts & switch out the more cardio types (shuttle runs, concept 2, burpees) for lifts.

WRKOT B: is fine you can change it up to keep it fresh but good.

play around see what works for you/what you like its your wrkot & you know you best right. just hope it gives you some ideas/helps you out some

Thank you, that's extremely helpful! :happy:
    I think I'll test out some variations like that and see what works best, if I like it and it works well I'll stick to it, if not, have a change around again.
  • spartacus69
    spartacus69 Posts: 235
    Options
    Good routine from becon1022.

Here's an alternative 3-day split combining olympic and power lifts (I based mine on this, but modified for my own needs):
    http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/olympic-weightlifting-routine.html

Taken from:
    http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/olympic-weightlifting-routine.html