9.5 Minute Mile?

Options
I just recently started getting back into running again after taking a few months off when track ended (granted I wasn't a runner but I digress). MFP has many mile minute options but 9.5 minute doesn't seem to be one of them. Yesterday, I divided the total time I ran by two (half for the 9 minute mile and half for the 10). Is this what I should be doing until I can get down to 9 minutes?
Also, today I ran a 9.25 minute mile, and did 3/4 9 minute and 1/4 10...does that make sense?

Replies

• madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    no
  • AlexPaige
    AlexPaige Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Then what /should/ I enter it as?
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Before I had a HRM, I would round up. If I was somewhere between 9-10 min/mi then I'd say 10. It's not going to make a huge difference anyway calorie-wise.
  • Angelabec
    Angelabec Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    It does make sense, but it seems like effort to work it all out. I would just log it as 10 minute miles, I doubt the calorie count is much diff, and it's better to underestimate than over.

Well done, though, I'm nowhere close to a 10 minute mile! :flowerforyou:
  • nikkitodhunter
    Options
    I'd go with the closeset thing on the database - 10 min mile? (After all the figures aren't 100% accurate). Or get a heart-rate monitor thing, and then you can enter a more accurate figure for cals burned manually.
  • kat5556
    kat5556 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    What you did makes perfect sense to me. You can also use another site to calculate your calorie burn and then use the "quick tools" option to add your own excercise/calorie burn.
  • davegruper
    davegruper Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    When I started running, I did the same thing that you did to log MFP calories. Then i bought a heart rate monitor to get a better estimate of calorie burn. I found that, for me, my actual burn according to the heart rate monitor was about 60%-7-% of what MFP had listed. So I agree with the other posters to just round up to 10 mph.
  • Mtfd02
    Mtfd02 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    If you have a HRM or a smartphone with the app mapmyfitness, it does it for you, this is what I use when I run and I am around 8:16 to 9min mile currently but I have been running for 10yrs as part of the Army Fitness Test 2 miles in just over 16-17mins
  • RuthieCass
    RuthieCass Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how MFP calculates the calories for running, but I think it is probably more important to match the milage as opposed to the pace. I always use a different estimate for the running calories since MFP exaggerates them. The formula for the number of calories burned per mile is 063 X weight in lbs.