Options
Interesting article:

http://www.momlogic.com/2009/05/weight_loss_mistakes.php

What are your thoughts?

Replies

• hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Nice, it touches on a lot of topics we talk about around here periodically.
  • Confuse! help

according to that article
    <<<<<
    . TOO MUCH EXERCISE: Exercise is an essential part of maintaining long-term health and weight control. However, there is in fact such a thing as doing too much exercise, or exercising too intensely. Exercise is hormonally depleting, especially for women over 40.
    >>>>>
    Excercising too intensely??? so it's not idea to do HIIT or event Tabata ?
    Usually I push myself until I can't handle or it's ok b/c it's not long enough ??
    Sometimes too much information do get me confused and have doubt about my diet and work out :sad:

____
    I will lose aditional 22 lbs by xgiving (11 weeks).
  • taylorgirl
    Options
    Thanks for article! I am a living testimony to everything this article mention. In May of 2008 at the age of "52" I began my current health and fitness program. After hitting numerous plagues I learned the lessons of the three subjects mention. My trainer had been trying to get me to understand that "less can be better," however it took time for me to actually make the change in my workouts, nutrition and learning how to keep things balanced out. With a goal of wanting to loose 65 pds, I have only 3 pds to go before reaching my goal! The best advice I could have ever gotten are the points discuss in the MOMLOGIC article.:flowerforyou:
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    This is great advice, but what to do about the lack of sleep? I've always slept less than "ideal" and certainly don't want to take pills. I'm already following all the tips and tricks I can find, but I'm still wide awake by 5 am at the latest. If I go to bed late, I'm still up, only tired and grouchy for the whole day.

Other than that, the article is great. Thanks for posting :flowerforyou:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Confuse! help

<<<<<
    . TOO MUCH EXERCISE: Exercise is an essential part of maintaining long-term health and weight control. However, there is in fact such a thing as doing too much exercise, or exercising too intensely. Exercise is hormonally depleting, especially for women over 40.
    >>>>>
    Usually I push myself until I can't handle or it's ok b/c it's not long enough ??
    Sometimes too much information do get me confused and have doubt about my diet and work out :sad:

____

Well, no, not really in your case. That statment was meant more for older people (people in their 40's and over.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    It's funny, I've been saying this same stuff for well over a year (see the sticky posts in the general section). Remember folks, this article strongly emphasizes the "when we age" portion of it. This is especially true of the too much exercise portion. The younger you are, the more/more intense exercise your body can handle (generally speaking).

As far as sleep goes, it's MEGA important to get at least 7 hours every night. Sleep is the body's down time, sleep is when muscles recover, sleep is when glycogen is put back into the liver and muscles, sleep is when your immune system fights the bad things, sleep is when the mind organizes and collects it's thoughts, sleep is when our hormones create the balance it needs in the body.

If you can't sleep a full night, then you need to go see someone, seriously, a regular full night's sleep is just as good for you as eating a healthy diet or exercising 5 times a week!
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    It's funny, I've been saying this same stuff for well over a year (see the sticky posts in the general section). Remember folks, this article strongly emphasizes the "when we age" portion of it. This is especially true of the too much exercise portion. The younger you are, the more/more intense exercise your body can handle (generally speaking).

As far as sleep goes, it's MEGA important to get at least 7 hours every night. Sleep is the body's down time, sleep is when muscles recover, sleep is when glycogen is put back into the liver and muscles, sleep is when your immune system fights the bad things, sleep is when the mind organizes and collects it's thoughts, sleep is when our hormones create the balance it needs in the body.

If you can't sleep a full night, then you need to go see someone, seriously, a regular full night's sleep is just as good for you as eating a healthy diet or exercising 5 times a week!

ahhhhhh sleep. I :heart: :heart: :heart: sleep! I get about 7.5 hours a night, and up to 9 on the weekends. I wish I could sleep more!
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I know a big part of my problem is the sleep aspect. I wake up about a half dozen times a night because I have two very young children. One is a sleeper, the other isn't. Not to mention the night sweats (I'm only 37, but suspect I'm perimenopausal). I've been considering taking half a sleeping pill so that I could at least get 4 hours of uninterrupted sleep at the front half of my night (deep REM sleep), but I'm afraid that if I do, I'll still wake up and just feel drugged and cranky.
    I did find a shady product called CALOTREN... Anyone hear of this stuff? www.theslimside.com

Or do you have any ideas on how to get a better more restful sleep with a 3.5 year old and almost 2 year old?
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    As a mom, I haven't slept in years. I recently started taking sleeping pills and switched to melatonin-its a natural supplement and it works great. I haven't read the article yet, I have to run to work, can't wait to see what it says.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I thought Melatonin was only good in regulating your circadian rhythm - so traveling & Jet lag or changing your regular sleep schedules etc...
    In anycase, last time I tried to buy it here in Canada it was not and OTC product... I could be wrong though.
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I thought Melatonin was only good in regulating your circadian rhythm - so traveling & Jet lag or changing your regular sleep schedules etc...
    In anycase, last time I tried to buy it here in Canada it was not and OTC product... I could be wrong though.
    It's over the counter in the USA. It's in the pharmacy section. Our doctor recommended it to replace sleeping pills.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I am always suspicious of articles written by "experts" with no formal exercise training who do not cite any literature or any real facts to back up their claims. Maybe the forum in which this article appears is specifically kept "light" on information in order to appeal to a broader, lay audience, but the author sounds like her main sources of information are supplement infomercials and Shape magazine.

She states that "as we get older, our metabolism slows down", but fails to relate that to any of her subsequent comments. She also seems unaware that the "slowing down" of resting metabolism as we get older is not an inevitable fact, but it is due to losses in lead body mass that occur because of our lifestyles (not to mention the fact that most people sharply decrease their casual activity as they get older).

She makes a big deal about metabolism going into "save" mode, again with no research or statistics to back it up. The research that I have read indicates that this effect of quite variable and usually overstated. The "eat 5 or 6 meals a day" idea has become a cliche that gets repeated ad nauseum without question (like drinking 8 glasses of water--another "accepted" mantra that has been disproven). While eating smaller, more frequent meals may have some positive thermogenic effect, no one ever talks about the risks of overeating, or the practical difficulties involved in following such a routine. Again, this is another sacred cow that I think is given too much uncritical acceptance.

She also claims that excessively intense exercise can have adverse effects for women over 40. I find her remarks about the effects of cortisol uncomfortably similar to those I hear all the time in sleazy infomercials, but I am not an expert in endocrinology, esp for women over 40, so I won't specifically comment. However, she does not define what is "too intense" exercise, only that bad things happen "if exercise is perceived as stress". If I was an average person looking to this article for guidelines, I would be left with "huh?".

Then she follows up by saying that you should exercise "smarter" by participating in "exercise programs that include weight-lifting will build muscle mass, which in turn raises the overall metabolic rate". Building muscle mass doesn't necessarily involve all-out intensity, but it does require some serious effort. So, once again, we are back to the question of "what constitutes *excessive* exercise?" A lot of self-appointed fitness "experts", throw around these cliches ("building muscle mass increases metabolism") while glossing over the amount of effort required to actually build muscle mass (especially when you are maintaining a calorie deficit to lose weight). The implication is that waving around little weights and doing aerobics will build significant muscle mass, when it won't.

The sleep part--OK.

This just strikes me as one of those typical "contrarian" articles where someone tries to write something that sounds "controversial" in order to attract attention, but that has about as much substance as a fart on a windy day.
  • twilight1542
    Options

Melatonin can be helpful for sleep disurbances, particularly with trouble falling asleep....My experiences with it indicate that it should be used under the supervision of a dr. because the dose needs to be monitored as the body adjusts to it it & most dr's recommend planned breaks from it a) because long term use can cause the body to be less reactive to it & b) to see if you even need it anymore
  • Confuse! help

<<<<<
    >>>>>

____

Well, no, not really in your case. That statment was meant more for older people (people i n their 40's and over.

Yes! it's me. i'm 45. :cry: Boss, no HIIT then ?
  • I am always suspicious of articles written by "experts" with no formal exercise training who do not cite any literature or any real facts to back up their claims. Maybe the forum in which this article appears is specifically kept "light" on information in order to appeal to a broader, lay audience, but the author sounds like her main sources of information are supplement infomercials and Shape magazine.

She states that "as we get older, our metabolism slows down", but fails to relate that to any of her subsequent comments. She also seems unaware that the "slowing down" of resting metabolism as we get older is not an inevitable fact, but it is due to losses in lead body mass that occur because of our lifestyles (not to mention the fact that most people sharply decrease their casual activity as they get older).

She makes a big deal about metabolism going into "save" mode, again with no research or statistics to back it up. The research that I have read indicates that this effect of quite variable and usually overstated. The "eat 5 or 6 meals a day" idea has become a cliche that gets repeated ad nauseum without question (like drinking 8 glasses of water--another "accepted" mantra that has been disproven). While eating smaller, more frequent meals may have some positive thermogenic effect, no one ever talks about the risks of overeating, or the practical difficulties involved in following such a routine. Again, this is another sacred cow that I think is given too much uncritical acceptance.

She also claims that excessively intense exercise can have adverse effects for women over 40. I find her remarks about the effects of cortisol uncomfortably similar to those I hear all the time in sleazy infomercials, but I am not an expert in endocrinology, esp for women over 40, so I won't specifically comment. However, she does not define what is "too intense" exercise, only that bad things happen "if exercise is perceived as stress". If I was an average person looking to this article for guidelines, I would be left with "huh?".

Then she follows up by saying that you should exercise "smarter" by participating in "exercise programs that include weight-lifting will build muscle mass, which in turn raises the overall metabolic rate". Building muscle mass doesn't necessarily involve all-out intensity, but it does require some serious effort. So, once again, we are back to the question of "what constitutes *excessive* exercise?" A lot of self-appointed fitness "experts", throw around these cliches ("building muscle mass increases metabolism") while glossing over the amount of effort required to actually build muscle mass (especially when you are maintaining a calorie deficit to lose weight). The implication is that waving around little weights and doing aerobics will build significant muscle mass, when it won't.

The sleep part--OK.

This just strikes me as one of those typical "contrarian" articles where someone tries to write something that sounds "controversial" in order to attract attention, but that has about as much substance as a fart on a windy day.
    Yes, about all the articles i read, i have to admit some are just mislead.. like the one abou excise does not make you lose weight since you will eat more and over eat after the workout ??
    or also the one that wrote about to lose weight has to do lots of cardio...
    not weight lifting because you don't really gain that much muscle.

Now, everyone is into HIIT since it cut down the workout time and burn more fat after the workout and here come this is article...... I do like HIIT.. i feel when i push myself... my endurance does get better the next time (i'm 45)
    and comes out this article about high intensity workout :mad:

-____
    Count down; 6 more day before weekly weight in, need to lose 2.5 lbs.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Confuse! help

<<<<<
    >>>>>

____

Well, no, not really in your case. That statment was meant more for older people (people i n their 40's and over.

Yes! it's me. i'm 45. :cry: Boss, no HIIT then ?

well then you seriously need to change your profile, cuz it says you're 18. Which is screwing up your goals by the way.

and yeah, exercise at 45 is different than exercise at 18 or 20. You're body is less flexable, recovery takes more time, and hormone levels are lower. That doesn't mean these things don't work for you, it just means you need to pay far more attention to how you feel, how you recover, and nutrition. And you can't expect the same speed results, FYI 22 lbs in 10 weeks, IMHO ain't gonna happen, not for someone with only 45 lbs (or there abouts) to go. Goals are great, but unrealistic goals just leave you with a sense of failure, which can derail you in the long term. Better to make your goals hard, but reachable. Like maybe 12 lbs in 10 weeks is a good goal, not really easy, but reachable if you work hard, and it doesn't force you into a forced labor mentality which can completely alter your long term success rate, cause lapses, and lower your overall outlook of the process.