Exercise with Tietze Syndrome

Options
BFit40
BFit40 Posts: 163 Member
I have Tietze syndrome – a painful swelling and inflammation around the breastbone. Until it clears I need to stop exercising and go for total rest for a while. I will walk for now and in the longer term but the big question for me is:

What do I do for good cardio exercise longer term that won't cause a flair up?

The Tietze syndrome is likely chronic and may well flair up again with vigorous exercise, which would imply, the running that I had taken up and enjoyed so much may not be a good idea. I love being fitter and I don't want to stop.
Any ideas?

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Gosh, how horrible for you. I hadn't heard of Tietze syndrome before, but found these two links with references to exercise:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/472732-slipping-rib-syndrome-exercise/

Exercises to Avoid

Because of the inherent instability of joints, exercises that put direct pressure on your chest should be avoided. Pushups or exercises that involve pitching or throwing motions increase risk. Sports that involve a potential for contact with other athletes such as football or basketball should be avoided until the condition resolves.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Tietzes-syndrome/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Rest

Tietze’s syndrome can be aggravated by any activity that places stress on your chest area, such as racket sports, athletics or simply reaching up to a high cupboard.

Any activity that makes the pain in your chest area worse should be avoided until the inflammation in your ribs and cartilage has gone down.

I would take it under medical advisement, but from these pages it would seem if you stick to cardio at a level you can easily control and avoid resistance training and impact sports you should be OK. You could try an exercise bike with an HRM to keep the level below, say, 70% MHR, but do please double check with your doctor

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • mycorner99
    mycorner99 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm currently recovering from surgery and am on a walking-only plan. It's tough when you want to do your usual workouts.

Check with your doctor if yoga is OK. Yoga helped me lose weight and get tone this past year. It's the quiet calorie burner.

Keep taking care of yourself :)
  • BFit40
    BFit40 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Thanks both. The links are very informative and I will talk to my GP about yoga.
  • aejbx4x7s
    aejbx4x7s Posts: 111
    Options
    I had issues with inflammation around my breastbone growing up. Have you tried a spinning class or biking? They don't put pressure on your chest and might be a good cardio alternative to running.
  • catjrow3
    catjrow3 Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Maybe an elliptical without the arm movements or maybe a stairmaster as that would be lower body and not upper body?