Whats your fav low calorie dip for veggies?

Options
Happymom83
Happymom83 Posts: 405 Member
Im looking for a yummy dip(or a couple!) thats low calorie!I need something i can dip veggies in:)What's your fav?

Replies

• mrbunsrocks
    mrbunsrocks Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Green goddess dip is simple and delicious and guilt-free

There's no real set recipe, but any variation of this will work:

1 cup fat-free greek yogourt (other yogourt will work, but greek is thicker and higher in protein)
    1 cup mixed herbs (parsley, cilantro, dill, basil, etc.)
    1 clove garlic
    pinch salt and pepper

Combine everything in a blender and voila! It's super good for you and there's nothing artificial in it, so you can dunk to your heart's content.

A bit less good-for-you, but good tasting - equal mixture of light mayonnaise and fat-free yogourt, plus a partial packet of onion soup mix. It's yummy, but of course full of sodium and filler from the onion soup mix.
  • Happymom83
    Happymom83 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    yummy!that first one sounds good;)
  • zozzabubba
    zozzabubba Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Homemade hummus! There are tonnnns of recipes out there, adjust to your liking (e.g. i add extra garlic because I like the flavour, and use walnuts instead of pine nuts), it's super fast and cheap to make.
    In terms of calories, it mighttt be higher than some other dips, but it's a source of good carbs, and the dip itself is filing so I never have more than a quarter of a cup at a time for a snack

Otherwise, if I'm feeling really saintly, I'll just dip in vinegar or soy sauce. Gives it that intense flavour boost with low cals - but neither is very filling and soy sauce has TONS of salt
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Edamole (Edamame Dip)

1 cup frozen shelled edamame, thawed
    3 tablespoons water
    1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (I use Blair's After Death)
    1 garlic clove, halved

Directions:
    1) Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.
    2) Cover and chill.

Serves 4, 150 calories per serving.
  • naceto
    naceto Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I like the homemade hummus idea.

I do plain greek yogurt with just a drizzle of sesame oil and some fresh garlic. Very simple but also tasty. :)
  • I_love_frogs
    I_love_frogs Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I love tzatziki !!! So yummy....and cals are not bad, and its healthy!!!

I buy mine from Trader Joes or Safeway, you can also look online for recipes. Basically its a Greek yogurt, cucumber, and garlic dip. Fantastic!
  • Damiilla
    Damiilla Posts: 66
    Options
    I like hot English mustard or salsa, super low in cals.
  • equinescrapper
    Options
    We really love Otria Cucumber Feta Dill. It's a greek yogurt dip with 60 cals per 2 tbsp. It doesn't have that tangy taste that making your own greek yogurt dip has. We tried just adding lipton onion soup to Chobani plain greek yogurt and didn't like it at all.
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Sour cream ranch dip. There are different brands but most have 60 calories, 5g fat, 2 carbs and 1 protein for 2 TBS. You can also buy low fat or fat free sour cream to get less calories and add a ranch dressing/dip mix packet.
  • mrbunsrocks
    mrbunsrocks Posts: 53 Member
    Options

I buy mine from Trader Joes or Safeway, you can also look online for recipes. Basically its a Greek yogurt, cucumber, and garlic dip. Fantastic!

You have to be careful with pre-prepared tzatziki! Not all brands are created equal. The good ones are made with greek yogourt, but there are some that use a mayonnaise/oil base and they are super high calorie.

It's really easy to make your own --> 1 cup greek yogourt, 1 cup peeled, seeded and finely chopped cucumber, 3-4 T fresh dill (or 1 T dried), 1-2 cloves garlic, salt pepper. Mix and enjoy!
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Trader Joes makes an AWESOME greek yogurt spinach dip. It's around 50 cals per serving as opposed to the sour-cream and mayo-based dips.
  • I_love_frogs
    I_love_frogs Posts: 340 Member
    Options

You have to be careful with pre-prepared tzatziki! Not all brands are created equal. The good ones are made with greek yogourt, but there are some that use a mayonnaise/oil base and they are super high calorie.

It's really easy to make your own --> 1 cup greek yogourt, 1 cup peeled, seeded and finely chopped cucumber, 3-4 T fresh dill (or 1 T dried), 1-2 cloves garlic, salt pepper. Mix and enjoy!

Agreed thank you for mentioning that. I was getting ready to edit my post when I thought of it but you beat me to the punch :)
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Stotadakis Jalapeno Yogurt Dip (I get it at Costco). Love dipping broccoli, snap peas, carrots, radishes, etc in it.
  • shenitamo
    shenitamo Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I love all of these ideas, thanks! As a sidenote for the tzatziki dips, rinse and drain and pat dry the cucumber before you mix it in the dip, otherwise it will release all of its liquid AFTER you mix it into the dip and it causes separation and just looks icky. Cheers to everyone on the 4th!
  • Brandie1558
    Options
    I put about 1/3 of a package of ranch dressing powder (the off brand only has 120mgs of sodium, 0 fat, 0 calories) in a container of plain greek yogurt. 80 calories and like 16 grams of protein. I have it with lunch and dinner every day I love it so much.
  • LoriSop
    LoriSop Posts: 1
    Options
    mix fat free Greek yogurt with salsa
  • Ninatoots
    Ninatoots Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I'm having The laughing Cow Light Queso Fresco & Chipolte with a bit more Chipolte Chile added with carrot sticks for lunch. Also good on Wasa Multigrain Crispbread and sliced green olives. I also use other light laughing cow.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    hummus, guacamole, ranch, bean dip

A lot of people say to make a yogurt dip but I've tried that on a couple of different occasions and it sucked every time.
  • VirtuousVal
    VirtuousVal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Edamole (Edamame Dip)

1 cup frozen shelled edamame, thawed
    3 tablespoons water
    1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (I use Blair's After Death)
    1 garlic clove, halved

Directions:
    1) Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.
    2) Cover and chill.

Serves 4, 150 calories per serving.

****BUMP****

Thank you for the recipe I have been looking for a edamme recipe for a few weeks.

Elephantbutt.gif
  • dancinrascal
    dancinrascal Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    either kraft fat free thousand island or catalina dressing

OR

make Hidden Valley's Ranch Dip with nonfat plain greek yogurt instead of sour cream