Healthy, higher-calorie foods?

Options
I never really ate a lot, so my contribution to weight gain was eating processed and unhealthy foods. Now that I've replaced that crap with fresh, healthy foods, I'm having trouble on some days hitting the 1200 minimum. For example, yesterday I had a total of 730 calories. I realized how low I was, so I added some more food to my dinner to bring up it up to 943. I was STILL under, especially since I burned 213 from exercise yesterday, and there was no way I could possibly eat more.

Does anyone have suggestions for healthier, higher-calorie foods I could possibly add to my diet to bump my calories up some? I sometimes eat peanut butter and nuts for this reason, but they get old after a while. (Sorry, not a fan of avocado either!)

Replies

• Dee_84
    Dee_84 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Add some healthy oil to your cooking/salads.

How can nuts get old when there are so many kinds out there... Peanut-/Almond-/Sunflowerseed-Butter, Almonds (different flavors), Pistachios, Walnuts, Macadamia, Pecans...
    Mix them with some dried fruit and some chocolate chips for a healthy trail mix.

If you have trouble meeting your calorie goal it might be good for you to get some full fat products like full fat cheese and whole milk.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    What are you currently eating? Any chance you could set your diary to public for a while so we can make more helpful suggestions?

A slice of toast with some peanut butter
    A glass of fruit juice
    Good quality ice-cream
    Milk or yoghurt (not low fat stuff)
    Slice of cheese
  • PandaCustard
    PandaCustard Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I had my gallbladder removed a few years ago and since dairy and I don't do too well together. I can handle low-fat dairy and I use almond milk for when I need milk, so full-fat dairy is sadly out of the question. :(

I would set my dairy to public but I tend to quick-add calories when I'm in a hurry so it wouldn't do much good. Bad habit of mine...

But, for example, I can tell you what I ate yesterday. For breakfast, I had a ham and low-fat cheese sandwich with mixed greens on whole-wheat sandwich thins and a low-fat yogurt. For lunch, I had a cup of blueberries and five medium strawberries. For dinner, I had a turkey and low-fat cheese sandwich with mixed greens on whole-wheat sandwich thins, then later added a serving of zucchini tots (recipe from here, I love them!).

Olive oil is a good suggestion. I love cooking my fish and vegetables in it.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    for you, it might be a good idea to pre-plan your meals, and have mini-meals every few hours--no matter if you are hungry or not!

the first thing I would do is get rid of any low fat foods in your diet! That means whole milk, full fat cottage cheese, regular cheese. Then look into supplements--I am on a low carb diet, and I eat Atkins bars 1-2x a day usually--I eat them because they are 200 calories and only a few carbs. It sure doesn't hurt that they come in yummy flavors like cookies n cream or chocolate peanut butter.

I think you will have an easier time losing weight once your body is getting the nutrients it needs :D
  • PandaCustard
    PandaCustard Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Good suggestions so far. I love Simply Orange and it has lower sugar than regular orange juice so I'll add that to a meal or two. I used to eat a lot of granola bars too, but I just stopped for some reason, so I think I'll add that to my lunch since I never eat much for lunch anymore. Pre-planning meals is a good idea too; I'll try adding a snack or two into my day. I realize a lot of things I eat are low-fat, so I'll eliminate those (besides dairy! Stupid missing gallbladder...).